[Archive] Jake and the Chaos Dwarfs

Yoy1zoz2mom3:

Great work so far,I will keep my eye on this!

Looking forward to more units :hat off

theforgefather:

Nice yellow scheme!!

DAGabriel:

Love those conversions, now on to the paint job.

Dezmord:

Your Tau’ruk is definately a blast to look at - you’ve captured the feeling of a giant, hateful and unstopable beast very well! I hope you don’t mind me “saving” that model as an inspiration?

Jake:

Not much to show yet, as vacation, generally nice weather, the baby and just now a shit load of work has taken it’s time. However, I have been toying around with themes for my bases, and settled on a cracked earth kinda thing. So I tried various things, and finally I think I’ m satisfied. All that’s left, besides the actual models of course, is to maybe add some tuft here and there.

So, what say you, they’ll work? Obviously the smaller 20x20 will have less stuff going on, as the dwarfs themselves take most of the base themselves. But the bigger ones work nice with a little bit of everything, I think. So now I have bases for the Fireborns and a couple of unit fillers. Very pleased. And the BC-and Destroyer bases are in the mail, so will have to start on them soon too. Then, well, them I start again on the guys, when time permits.

Animatone:

Very nice! They look quite good just by themselves let alone with some cool figures on top.

Interested to see how it all comes out.

CopperPot:

Very nice conversions.

khedyarl:

How did you paint the bases, Jake? I love that greenish/beige colour, and am seriously thinking of redoing my bases to be similar.

Karring:

NICE BASES

I like a lot the continuity you have reached.

Chico:

Very nice, now that’s alot of Fireborn to go on top though lol :open_mouth:

Jake:

Thanks all, glad you liked them.

Chico

Yeah, well, not all are for Fireborns. I have reserved 8 for them, and 4 for two Hobgoblin units. That leaves me with 4 that I don’t know what to do with. Maybe some unit fillers.

khedyarl

I see how the bases might look greenish one the pictures, but I don’t think that they are really. It might be the crappy pic, the light, or a side effect of the layer of Nuln Oil maybe.

Anyways, this is how I painted it(not remembering all the names):

Scorched Brown on a base of Chaos Black.

Drybrushed snake bite leather.

Something Dark Sun (maybe - a kind of yellow) on the stones and sand.

Nuln Oil over everything robins them together.

Another Drybrush of Snakebite leather.

Extreme Highlights with Something Darksun.

A wee bit White Scar on the stones.

Gryphonia Sepia on everything.

Done.

(I know, some of the colours are old, some new. But I think the old ones have new equivalents, so shouldn’t be a problem).

The skulls and skeleton parts are

bleached bone

Nuln oil

Bleached bone

White scar

Gryphonia Sepia

White scar on details.

Deadish trees:

Codex Grey

Nuln oil

Astronomical grey

Earthshade something.

That is all, I think.

Also, I have been asked about the bases themselves, so I am preparing a small tutorial. Will be up in a couple of hours, or tomorrow if I don’t have time tonight.

Animatone:

Jake,

Looking forward to it, thanks!

Abecedar:

Does look good alright. and they ain’t that bad as pic’s go

Bolg:

Wow misser this blog. You paint job looks good mate, i really like THE yellow.

Keep up the good work!

Kera foehunter:

nice movement stand… i love the color you used

Jake:

Made a small tutorial for the making of the bases now. Check it out if you want:

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=11743

Johnny-Crass:

Dropped the jaw has

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Jake:

Helle again.

Not the fastest painter nowadays. Well, actually, I am quite fast normally, but later I have had lot less time than before, so don’t get the chance all too often.

However, I have had time now to complete -more or less - the first unit for my chaos dwarfs. And no, it’s not the BCs - they’re only half done - but the Infernal Guards! Very pleased with them

I used my phone for the pictures, so quality might be so so. Also, I’m at work so can’t set them up properly. But in the not to far future I’ll take them home and take proper pictures.

Hope you like them.

Murdin:

really nice! you give me some great ideas for my dwarfs :smiley:

Bolg:

Love the colors! and they are well painted. keep up the good work (: