[Archive] Jake and the Chaos Dwarfs

DAGabriel:

I love distinctive color schemes, great work, keep them coming!

One very small thing: the musicians drum isnt really life like, the drumhead doesnt look right.

Jake:

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

And yeah, the drum, as well as some of the runes/symbols on the shields, is on my to do again, do right list. Keep it coming though - always glad to have some extra helping eyes to spot mistakes.

Sherlocko:

Cool stuff.

I think that the banner top could use some metal paint to make it more of a visual drawing point, if you understand what I mean. Might just be the pictures, but now it kind of drowns in the yellow of the unit. :slight_smile:

Jake:

Hm, good point. I see what you mean. It might just be the pictures/angles, but I’ll see if I can come up with something. Metal you say…yeah, maybe.

CopperPot:

Really cool looking unit you have there dude.

Da Crusha:

wow Im loving those runes on the shields. can you tell us how you did it, or post a step by step tutorial? they look great!

Jake:

No time to make a proper photo tutorial on the runes, but it’s not really necessary either. It very easy.

Chaos Black: In the shape of the runes.

Blood Red: choose a point or two where the glowing starts. Go from there, paint red “inside” the black and out to where it should end; leave a little black outlining everywhere.

Some sort of yellow, not the brightest one: as above, but leave a bit red.

Bright yellow: as above, but leave a bit yellow.

Skull White: just a small dot, or thin line, at the very beginning of the glow.

Seeing that this made it just a bit to bright, I also added a thin layer of yellow wash over the runes.

Done.

As you can imagine, it works better on runes which have a natural point where to start, and where to end. I’m thinking of going back and redo some of the runes that are more “circular”, as it didn’t work so well on them.

Oh, and thanks.

Da Crusha:

thank you. they are very cool.

Jake:

Small update. More of a teaser shot than anything else, but just so you know I’m still at it. Close ups and better pics will have to wait.

Taur’ruk, Manburner, prophet, IG, and a hobgoblin:

What will be done within the next two weeks are my part of a tag team tournament. That is the Taur’ruk(done) , the prophet (daemonsmith)(done), 21 IGs(done), five GW BCs, six Fireborns, and… Well, that’s pretty much it.

After that more BCs, then Hobgoblins. And I’ll probably start painting my Destroyer, before moving on to the war machines. But all that will have to wait until the aforementioned are done, as for those the dead line is fast approaching.

Now I’m on my way to first see Django Unchained, then get drunk. Cheers.

Malikos:

All I can say is… WOW!

Yodrin:

Love your work!!! LF to more…

Jake:

A few bad pictures of my five BCs and Taur’ruk, to bring to a tournament this weekend:

Also, even worse pictures of some Fireborns, which are also coming along to the fighting. Not overly happy with these, but they’ll have to do until I find better models. I’m thinking ork Meganobz, but in that case ill have to wait until they come out in resin or plastic, as I want a minimum of heavy stuff for this army.

Abecedar:

your yellow scheme seems to be working very wellas it looks pretty good so far and thanks for the runes step by step

Yodrin:

Ur BC look really cool, great job!!

Goltor Lintrepide:

Beautiful, really. But the color sheme and the style… it looks like a 40k ork army. However, they are really well converted and painted, flawless, splendid!!!

WilsonUndead:

Your IG really look like something not to mess with lol and the BC’s, fuggeddaboutdit. I like the jugg bodies but damn I bet it could get expensive if you don’t already have stuff lying around lol. If I could put my two cents in on the colour scheme, I think it’s really working, but I think it could use maybe like a third colour. you’ve got yellow and black, and if there was just something else it would really stand out. Like something that contrasts the yellow I mean, like blue or something. I like it all though :slight_smile:

Jake:

Thanks guys!

About the fireborns: yeah, not really happy with them. Might need to find other models in the future.

And I am thinking of adding a third distinct colour, but I’m having a hard time deciding what and where. But I’ll get there…

For now, here’s a WIP of my Destroyer. As usual it’s crappy pictures, because I’m lazy and don’t take proper pictures with a camera and use the computer, but settle with my iPhone… But maybe it’s enough to see where I’m going with it:

Yodrin:

This has the potential to be an awesome Destroyer!! Good job!!

tjub:

Not my style of destroyer, but a good looking conversion none the less! I really like the pose as well, btw have you added tissue to the legs?

Sherlocko:

Cool stuff there, kompis! I love that you have made it look so fast. Can´t wait to take it down during III. :slight_smile: