[Archive] JMR's Manticlicious Chaos Dwarves - Army Pictures (28 Dec.)

ryanamandaanna:

Great stuff in here!

BeeZharr:

Excellent stuff so far, looking forward to seeing more.

Threadbare:

Really like the hobgoblins. Can’t wait to see more.

JMR:

Hello again guys! Thanks for all the kind comments!

I have to admit, I don’t think I’ve done anything Chaos Dwarf related since my last update. The main reason being that I got myself involved in building a 500 point Dark Elf army in 2 months time, to be expanded by a further 250 points every 2 months and playing a game at each benchmark. Me and 3 friends are doing this. It’s pretty great fun and sometimes a little stressful :wink:

>> Edit: Moved Dark Elf pictures to their own blog. <<

To finish this post off with something to please Hashut; here’s a picture of my WIP Hobgoblin unit that I haven’t shown before:

And a close-up of the Ogre unit filler:

tjub:

The hobgoblins looks great! Is that skaven, beastman and gobboparts?

Necrotique:

For such an old blog, this really doesn’t have enough views. You’ve taken my general dislike for Mantic and turned it around.

The sculpting work on these is amazing :smiley:

Hoping to see some more :slight_smile:

:cheers

Bassman:

Wow, great hoboglbin unit. I like it! Good idea with the unit fillers and really well executed.

I like also your Chaos Dwarfs, the only one I dislike are osidian/immortals. It’s just a matter of taste as they are good miniatures.

I second your choice of custom made legs for your blunderbusses. I know it could be a long and tedious work but your legs are soo cool! :slight_smile:

Keep on worlin’

Bassman

JMR:

The hobgoblins looks great! Is that skaven, beastman and gobboparts?

tjub
Yeah. It's Stormvermin body, Ungor arms and Goblin heads (+shields to be added). I also use 40k Gretchin heads for my hobgoblins, though there's only one used in this unit.

@Necrotique: Thank you! My sculpting isn't nearly as good as some other people's here though!

@Bassman: I agree with you on the Obsidians. I planned to make 2 units of them (one GW, one with HW/Shield). I'm not sure I'll follow that through anymore. Ah well, they were a step in the learning process of sculpting and casting.

I'm hoping that swapping the legs on the blunders won't take too much time. I hope to be able to cut the models up fairly quickly using a dremel with a cutting disk. Never used it before though, does anyone have any tips for this? If that works smoothly, it's simply a matter of sticking the new legs on once I have the casting of those going.

Wish I had more time to spend on sculpting and painting...

CheTralfara:

I love what you’ve done here. Your work on the Hobgobs is particularly excellent. I used Clanrats with BFSP night goblin heads, but the Storm Vermin bodies really make for a tougher look. The goblin heads fit these bodies better than their original bodies!

I like your conversion of Mantic Dwarfs better than their actual Chaos Dwarfs, but maybe make the lower lip a little smaller. The lower jaws kind of resemble that large hairy brown human-sized Muppet, I forget his name. I mean that in a good way though!

Sanguinarian:

Awesome stuff!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Wifstrand:

That’s it! How could I not have seen it! My Chaos Dwarfs lack tusks! Do you mind doing a tutorial on how to make tusks JMR style?

JMR:

That's it! How could I not have seen it! My Chaos Dwarfs lack tusks! Do you mind doing a tutorial on how to make tusks JMR style?

Wifstrand
Hehe, glad my Chaos Dwarves have helped to make you see the light of the glory that is tusks!!

In all seriousness though, I can try to make a tutorial with pictures and stuff, but it's really simple:

1) Roll some greenstuff into a thin...well, roll.
2) Cut to the appropriate size (usually slightly shorter then you think you'll need because of the next step).
3) Slightly roll the cut-off piece of greenstuff a little bit more, only applying pressure on one end with your finger to form a pointy end. The more you roll it, the thinner and more stretched it'll become. Rolling it less gives a more stumped look.
4) Apply to your miniature and poke the base of it around a bit with a pointy modeling tool to merge it with the jaw for better bondage. I guess you can also use a bit of super glue, but be aware that super glue + greenstuff = impenetrable wall of epoxy in no time, so you have to get it right the first time.

It helps to keep your workspace/the greenstuff wet to prevent it from sticking when rolling it out. At the same time it can't be too moist when you want to stick it to your figure.

Seems like a lot of words for a very simple technique. Just give it a go and do what feels right. If the tusks looks odd, get rid of it and try again.

You can nudge the end of the tusks slightly with a clay shaper after attaching them to make 'em crooked/curved.

On a more general note: When it comes to greenstuffing, Clay Shapers are absolutely vital in my opinion. Before I got them, I couldn't get anything to look right, ever. After I got them, greenstuffing became fun, and every now and then I got things to look o.k. too.

Hope this is of use to you.

Wifstrand:

Fantastic stuff. Have you gotten round to putting tusks on Mantic’s Blunderbuss models? Those could be tricky. If no, have you given any thought as to how to do that yet?

JMR:

The true Blunderbuss models weren’t around yet when I did mine. I use “vanilla dwarf” Ironwatch troops. Doesn’t really matter for your question though… as it’s the same body.

Anyways, I only put tusks on half of those models. There’s 2 different body types, and one is simply unsuitable for tuskafiying. You can barely see it’s mouth, I believe, and it’s sculpted in such an odd angle, that adding anything to it won’t look right.

Note that I normally remove the original model’s beard and mouth before I start sculpting my own. This isn’t doable with that specific blunderbuss/ironwatch model either.

Wifstrand:

I guess I’ll have to give it a try when I return from vacation in twelve days!

JMR:

As mentioned in Grimstonefire’s blog, I set about to get some photo’s of my Hobgoblins with bows. They use parts from the same sources as my spearhobs, except that these guys exclusively use Gretchin heads.

Front rank:

Second rank:

As most of my stuff, these have been started about a year ago, but never finished. They need a bit of greenstuffing.
I don’t want to pat my own back, but seeing them again I have to say I really like them. I should really finish stuff more often :~ Gretchin heads are just so characterful…

Here’s another project that’s been on my table for about forever. Glued together about a year ago, first greenstuffing done this week. My Obsidian golem!:

The plan is to make it look like it’s made from half-molten lava, pretty much like the eldar avatar. I plan to give 'em flaming fists and I’m also considering doing a flaming “mane” on it’s back, what do you guys think?

I have parts to make 6 of 'em, well… actually 5 'cause I’m one head short. Should be a pretty colourful unit when put down on the table.

>> Edit: Moved Dark Elf pictures to their own blog. <<

If having Dark Elf units in this section of the forum is frowned upon, please say so and I’ll make a separate blog to document it’s development.

Bassman:

If having Dark Elf units in this section of the forum is frowned upon, please say so and I'll make a separate blog to document it's development.

JMR
Yes it is! There is an off topic forum for this :P

Really, I think it's better to keep them separated.

Galladorn:

Your hobgoblins are beautiful!!

I’ve tried to follow the videos posted about converting the BFSP goblins into hobbos, but I have been failing.

I can do this, but I need your recipe!

Stormvermin body/legs

bow arms… what do you use?  goblin regiment, savage orcs or both??

heads… are these the goblin regiment heads, or also the goblin wolf riders?

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440079a&prodId=prod840897

Loving this!

Well, answered my own question by looking at the different sprue sets, and your posts a little better.

JMR:

Stormvermin body/legs
bow arms... what do you use? goblin regiment, savage orcs or both??
heads... are these the goblin regiment heads, or also the goblin wolf riders?
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440079a&prodId=prod840897

Well, answered my own question by looking at the different sprue sets, and your posts a little better.

Galladorn
Guess you already figured it out, but it's Ungor arms (both spears and bows). The heads are from the regular goblins (wolf riders are the same) and a few previous edition night goblin heads. The archers use Gretchin heads, however.

Also, I've moved all my Dark Elf pictures to their own little blog.

I might end up cutting up my blunderbusses soonish. Does anyone have any experience with using a dremel to do this? I was gonna look at buying one of those fancy cutting disks. Does this work with plastic or does it just make the models melt? Any tips are appreciated.

tjub:

Great looking Hobgobbos!