[Archive] Joined "The Academy" today

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Our Calgary Games Workshop is offering a 1 week painting/building course on March 22nd-29th.

It costs $160 per student, but you get a free Battleforce or Battalion box, all the materials to build and paint the models except brushes, and a free figure case.

There’s morning classes from 11:00 am-2:00pm and afternoon classes from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. I signed up for the morning classes.

I decided to take the course because I think I can use the information to help people at my own hobby store in the future. I chose a 40K battle force because I don’t have any armies other than Fantasy and if I’m going to run games and get people interested in playing at my store, I think I’ll need 40K. I picked the Chaos Space Marine box.

Anyway, talk to you later!

Khan!:

Huh, neat idea. How big is the figure case? I’m just trying to work out costs, cuz they do painting lessons for free all the time. So if battalion + carrying case = more than or equal to 160 dollars then we’re doing okay, but if they would cost less I’m not sure it’s such a good deal. Interesting to do it in a group experience though.

Swissdictator:

That’s kinda cool. $160 Canadian I presume?

Not a bad idea blackhand, plus nice choice on 40k stuff even though I love the Guard… I’ll probably play CSM first as I just can’t get motivated to paint my Vostroyans.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

KAHN!!! (Star Trek II reference)

The case has three black foam layers in it. I’m not sure the dimensions though.

The Battle Box usually sells for $105 CDN. Not sure on the price of the case, but the time for lessons and materials is probably included.

I don’t think it’s a bad idea, however, I carry GW stuff in my hobby store and can probably buy the same items as well as a second Battallion Box for the same $160. But I want to see how they do it so I could do the same thing.

Kera foehunter:

cool now you be the best painter here!! great deal mr t

Servius:

------

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

two_heads_talking:

GW still runs that in the US. and yes, you get the battleforce and figure case at about a 20% or 25% discount. Plus you get intensive (read: the staff are dedicated to you during this time) painting, modelling etc instructions. In our store, I was the one who ran the classes. During this time, I didn’t bother with anything else. Now, some stores, it appears are trying to do these during the slow times to allow the staff to not be overwhelmed. We just made sure there were at least 3 staff when I was doing it. GEt 6 kids in chairs and a few demo games going and wiht all that activity in a store, and everyone wants to see what’s going on.

In most of the stores, the black shirts (managers) were the ones doing the lessons.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Kool…I didn’t know there was a Heirarchy to the “shirts”. How “Star Trek” is this thread getting? LOL!

I just wonder if the GW red shirts get killed when they go to the planet?

snowblizz:

Kool...I didn't know there was a Heirarchy to the "shirts". How "Star Trek" is this thread getting? LOL!

Tarrakk Blackhand
Why do you think there's such a high turn over of GW grunts, eh?

Oh and there are blue-vests as well. The Outriders in Europe have white shirts and a blue vest.

Groznit Goregut:

That’s pretty cool. It makes me wonder what local gaming would be like if there was actually a GW store anywhere near me. The closest store is 3 hours and 20 minutes away (according to google maps).

Swissdictator:

It’d be tempting due to the discount, although I suspect many of us are rather high quality painters that the lessons might not do a whole lot for us.

Depending on the discount, it might be worth it. Though it might be odd you sign up… get the discounted stuff, yet turn down the painting course.

two_heads_talking:

It'd be tempting due to the discount, although I suspect many of us are rather high quality painters that the lessons might not do a whole lot for us.

Depending on the discount, it might be worth it. Though it might be odd you sign up... get the discounted stuff, yet turn down the painting course.

Swissdictator
Aha, here's the zinger. You don't get the figure case unless you show up to every event. That's how we keep you .. Noose around the neck and all.

Kera foehunter:

The old trick of keep them comming back !!

Khan!:

I don't think it's a bad idea, however, I carry GW stuff in my hobby store and can probably buy the same items as well as a second Battallion Box for the same $160. But I want to see how they do it so I could do the same thing.

Tarrakk Blackhand
Ah yeah sounds like the gear you'd get for this is slightly discounted. Makes a lot of sense for you though if you intend to run similar events at your own store! I hadn't thought about that angle. Interestingly the GW store you're talking about is the one I used to work for!
BTW. If your GW Store is a Full Hobby Center (i.e. Store with Gaming space and painting stations.) then teaching painting is one of their jobs as an employee... Its basically a way to drive sales.

Servius
Yeah, same thing I was getting at. But if it's discounted gear then it's a good idea.
Kool...I didn't know there was a Heirarchy to the "shirts". How "Star Trek" is this thread getting? LOL!

Tarrakk Blackhand
In my experience at GW we only had two shirts, but asst. managers wore red shirts and bossed other red shirts around. Black ones boss everybody. I often heard (bellowed) "That's right, that's why I get paid to wear the black shirt!!"

And if GW visited planets, the monkey redshirts (as opposed to key-holding redshirts) would probably be directed to leap in front of any phaser fire pretty much a priori.
The old trick of keep them comming back !!

Kera foehunter
Exactly, and as we used to say at the GW, much like with any other addictive drug, "The first one's free..."

Tarrakk Blackhand:

So you worked in the one in Chinook Center?

Swissdictator:

2 heads: Then I’d go, and just use it as an excuse to not get ADD and forget to paint.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Just as long as your A.D.D. didn’t mean that you loose it and hit people with the figure case. That hard plastic really hurtz!

Swissdictator:

Just as long as your A.D.D. didn't mean that you loose it and hit people with the figure case. That hard plastic really hurtz!

Tarrakk Blackhand
Was this an incident you were involved in?

It's more along the lines of, by getting away from the computer and books I could focus on just painting. It actually helps when I'm painting with others as I tend to stick to it, as I can talk while painting and that allows my mind to stay just busy enough that it doesn't get distracted.

Khan!:

So you worked in the one in Chinook Center?

Tarrakk Blackhand
Yep, about 6 years ago now, I started right when it first opened. Some of the stuff I painted is still there! Like the most of the daemonhunters, and the giant witchunter toilet throne destructo-machine. At least it was still there last time I checked. They've gotten rid of most everything else from that period tho.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Kool! Are you still in Calgary?