[Archive] K'aai / Taurus Blazing Body rule

Yodrin:

I know that this has been posted before regarding Destroyer/Bale-Great Taurus.

But just to sum up an clarify Blazing Body rule

Destroyer: reroll to wound

Bale Taurus: reroll to wound

Great Taurus: -1 to wound

Fireborns: -1 to wound

And, does this mean that Great Taurus has a better chance to survive against canons than Bale Taurus, since its 2 to wound (and reroll to wound)on BT and 3 to wound on GT?

Whats the math on this?

rpitts2004:

Most Recent FAQ

On Page 184 and 185: Replace the Blazing Body rules text with the following:

Any model (friend or foe) in base contact with one or more Bale Taurus or K’daai, except a Chaos Dwarf using it as a mount or another K’daai, takes an automatic Strength 4 hit at the start of the close combat phase. This is a flaming attack.

Additionally, any non Magical attacks must re-roll successfulTo wound rolls.

Fireborn are K’daai so they don’t get the -1 anymore

NoisyAssassin:

Chances of a cannon scoring a wound with the re-roll: about 69.4%

Chances of a cannon scoring a wound with -1 to wound: about 66.7%

So not a huge difference.

Yodrin:

Ok, tnx guys!!!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Da Crusha:

Most Recent FAQ

On Page 184 and 185: Replace the Blazing Body rules text with the following:

Any model (friend or foe) in base contact with one or more Bale Taurus or K'daai, except a Chaos Dwarf using it as a mount or another K'daai, takes an  automatic Strength 4 hit at the start of the close combat phase. This is a flaming attack.

Fireborn are K'daai so they don't get the -1 anymore

rpitts2004
Personally, and Im mostly alone on this from the times Ive brought it up, I think the first part is specific to the Bale Taurus and k'daais.
Any model (friend or foe) in base contact with one or more Bale Taurus or K'daai, except a Chaos Dwarf using it as a mount or another K'daai, takes an  automatic Strength 4 hit at the start of the close combat phase. This is a flaming attack.
but the second part, is non specific and applies to all (tauruses and Kdaais)
food for thought.

rpitts2004:

But when it shows Replace the text, then the prior text is eliminated from the rulebook all together so I think the -1 is just totally gone unless it’s is somewhere else or posted by forgeworld?

KramDratta:

Strength 4 Flaming Hit: Bale Taurus, Great Taurus (Storm Of Magic rules), K’Daai Fireborn, K’Daai Destroyer

Re-roll successful To Wound rolls from non-magical attacks: Bale Taurus, K’Daai Fireborn, K’Daai Destroyer

-1 To Wound penalty: Great Taurus

The reason behind this is (ASSUMPTION) that the Great Taurus is from the Storm Of Magic, which Forgeworld have no control/jurisdiction upon. Therefore, FW cannot amend the rules for the Great Taurus, only the GW FAQ team can do that.

Moreover, with the latest FAQs effectively removing the “wound automatically on a 1+” and FW removing the “cannot wound on 7s” FAQ, this has left a grey area for the Great Taurus vs Str 3 attacks…

(But we’re Chaos Dwarfs…grey is our natural colour :wink: )

Goltor Lintrepide:

Strength 4 Flaming Hit: Bale Taurus, Great Taurus (Storm Of Magic rules), K'Daai Fireborn, K'Daai Destroyer

Re-roll successful To Wound rolls from non-magical attacks: Bale Taurus, K'Daai Fireborn, K'Daai Destroyer

-1 To Wound penalty: Great Taurus

The reason behind this is (ASSUMPTION) that the Great Taurus is from the Storm Of Magic, which Forgeworld have no control/jurisdiction upon. Therefore, FW cannot amend the rules for the Great Taurus, only the GW FAQ team can do that.

KramDratta
Yep, it is exactly that. I can't remember who post it, but it's from an answer of Forge world to this specific question.

Yodrin:

So how do people play the Great Taurus vs S3? Can it be wounded or not?

Da Crusha:

it doesn’t make sense to use the great Taurus out of the storm of magic book. no where in the tamurkhan does it say to use the storm of magic version.

gashnag:

it doesn't make sense to use the great Taurus out of the storm of magic book. no where in the tamurkhan does it say to use the storm of magic version.

Da Crusha
The reason is the blazing body rule in Storm of Magic is an ability made by Games-workshop them selves. While the units from Tamurkhan were from Forge world and while they can modify the rules for their own models they cannot faq a rule that was made by GW.

Hashut’s Blessing:

gashnag: Except the rule is in their book. It just happens to have the same name. At no point does it say “Blazing Body (as used by Games Workshop/in Storm of Magic/a different publication to the this one which already has the rule in).” - there is no precedent and the Divergent Origins special rule backs this up.

KramDratta:

it doesn't make sense to use the great Taurus out of the storm of magic book. no where in the tamurkhan does it say to use the storm of magic version.

Da Crusha
It will, once I manage to convice FW to publish the updated replies in the Tamurkhan FAQ

Q. In the Tamurkhan FAQ, the Great Taurus has not been included in the Blazing Body update. This seems to indicate that the Great Taurus still benefits from the -1 To Wound, whilst K�?TDaai & Bale Taurus benefit from re-roll To Wound from non-magical attacks against them.
A. The revised Burning Body rule applies ONLY to K'daai and Bale Taurus; the Great Taurus continues to use the Storm of Magic wording. (Email Mon 25th Feb 2013)

Hashut’s Blessing:

But an e-maill reply means precisely diddly-squat. It means as much (and, in my opinion, often less, lol - because I’m awesome ^^) as a PM from me with a decision on a ruling.

Yodrin:

I guess people play the GT different then? I will stick with Kramdatta for now cause of the mail, and wait for a new FAQ.

Ender SpiteSworn:

That is a tad confusing. I think I will just let my opponents choose. Its not a huge deal either way.

Looks like my latest list is going to feature a GT…still on the fence for the BT upgrade though, it just takes a lot of points away from the rest of the army. By dropping down to the GT I switch a death shrieker to a magma cannon, and make the iron daemon hell bound… decisions decisions.

RiTides:

But the clarification makes sense because the great taurus IS in storm of magic… just like the lamassu.

A slightly related question… with great taurus being mounted on a 50mm square base, and a bale taurus being on a 60x100mm… do folks make their taurus model hot-swappable onto either base? I’m planning to mount mine on a 50mm and then have that be mountable to the larger base…

Thoughts appreciated, seems a bit tricky to do well but I’m sure others have had this quandry already and come up with something :slight_smile:

rpitts2004:

But the clarification makes sense because the great taurus IS in storm of magic... just like the lamassu.

A slightly related question... with great taurus being mounted on a 50mm square base, and a bale taurus being on a 60x100mm... do folks make their taurus model hot-swappable onto either base? I'm planning to mount mine on a 50mm and then have that be mountable to the larger base...

Thoughts appreciated, seems a bit tricky to do well but I'm sure others have had this quandry already and come up with something :)

RiTides
Has it been clarified there is any difference? I use my Drazogath on bale taurus, as a prophet on a taurus, or bale taurus when I have the points?

Yodrin:

Btw… if a prophet on a bale taurus is in base contact with another ridden monster (lord on dragon), who takes the flaming hit? both or one of them (lord or dragon)?

rpitts2004:

Btw.. if a prophet on a bale taurus is in base contact with another ridden monster (lord on dragon), who takes the flaming hit? both or one of them (lord or dragon)?

Yodrin
I would say both, cause it's one model and not distributed as shooting