[Archive] Khan!'s army thread updated July 13, with new and exciting things!

Khan!:

Just small stuff today, a hobgoblin and a WIP Immortal (?) which I am unsure of…

First, my workspace, in which you can see some kroot, some hobgoblins that just need to be painted, a WIP hero converted from a Pitfighter Trollslayer, a WIP converted Tzeentch Lord, and an ill-fated attempt to do something with the tied-up slayer from BFSP.

This is the hobgoblin - guess who inspired these guys!��It’s kind of dark, so I hope the picture is ok…

And the Immortal.��I definitely need to do something to make them seem more evil - I took off all of the ancestor markings, but I think that they need new shields with more than just the putty insignia, and something else?��Also, what does everyone think about the gold for their armour?��I wish they had some skin showing somewhere cuz I am missing the grey…

And this guy is just awesome.��And frakked up.

Ghrask Dragh:

Immortal looks awesome! I would like to see maybe the Dawi-Zharr rune on the shield as opposed to the Chaos star as they are CD elites. Gold armours perfect no worries there mate!

I am more eager than ever to see how this army will end up, I know it will be good!

PS: put a warning up or something before that Minatour conversion :0

Kyte:

This is the hobgoblin - guess who inspired these guys!

Khan!
Me :)?

They all look awsome! I'm really hooked on the minotaur! Never seen anything like it actually.

A good idea for cool hobgoblin shields is to take a picture of Hashut's rune, multiply it in different sizes in MS Word, print it out on thin card or plasticard, cut it out and glue it on the shields.

Canix:

Nice colour scheme ,love the minotaur well cthulhu like:hat off to you sir

Xander:

Beard for the Immortal! :wink:

Very nice work man! Keep it up.

Khan!:

Wait, does this mean the beard was good or it needs a different beard? Hm, I think I will assume the first for now because I don’t want to hack away at 25 metal beards :slight_smile:

Kyte, I like your suggestion for the hobbo shields! That’s something I never would have thought of, actually. It’s too late to do that with this unit tho, they all have angry faces carved into the shield. Also, thanks for the inspiration :hat off !

Horray for Cthulu-taur! Now if only I had an army to put him in…

bandnerd1892:

What you could do is: Putty over the short stubbly beards of the ironbreakers so it looks like a bib (like you see on the new CDs) then sculpt your own CD-ish beard coming out from under that… just a thought

Hashut’s Blessing:

Using clippers, it’s not too difficult to remove the beard. And in some cases some of the belly needs to be removed, otherwise it becomes WAY too fat.

hal:

That’s some mad stuff, is it a tzeentch mino?

Khan!:

@ hal: It’s definitely a tzeentch…thing!

So I am presently involved in the construction of a lord on great taurus, and my question is: what size base does the great taurus fit on? Large monster (dragon size) or small moster base (ogre size)? I am crossing my fingers that it’s the small one, cuz I have a couple of those but no large ones lying around :frowning:

Pictures soon!

torn:

id d the immortals beard purpley grey that you do for the skin instead of orange, would add the contrast all your other mini’s have, and make him look less bright.

if you want the old darker try brazen brass.

Creepy Dwarf:

Very Nice models its a quite funny coincidence, without seeing this post i have doen 5 ironbreakers almost excactly like that with the exception that i used ungor shields. rolf

Khan!:

Apologies for not having posted new pictures (since July!!). I’m writing my last paper as we speak, so I will hopefully put up some hobgoblins and black orcs in the next couple of days.

@torn: I’m actually thinking of doing the armour in stone, instead of in metal. That will fit much more closely with the grey skin-tone, but will mean a lot more work - grey takes longer to paint well than metal :frowning:

@Creep Dwarf: That is a funny coincidence! I thought about doing beastman shields too, but decided that I wanted something that looked more like it was forged.

clam:

Your immortal looks great too :hat off - but I would also go for a more CDish beard - and some arrows and skulls on the armoury. And then give him a darker armour wash - he looks a bit shiny! Perhaps a purple wash would work, and then bring the greys to the shild!

Btw - where is the sword from?

I am presently involved in the construction of a lord on great taurus, and my question is: what size base does the great taurus fit on?��Large monster (dragon size) or small moster base (ogre size)?�

Khan!
The GW Reference Sheet says 50x50, but I would say it depends on your model - and I’m looking forward to see it:)

AGPO:

Khan, how did you do the beards?!?!? They’re awesome - just what I was looking for for my bloodletters. How exactly did you paint them?

Khan!:

An update!��Horray!

@AGPO:��Thanks!��I’m quite happy with the beards myself.��I started with a coat of thin scab red, and then did a second coat if too much black was showing through.��Then I blended the scab with golden yellow, and highlighted the edges and curly bits of the beard, moving away from the dwarfs’ chins (ie chin=red, beard tip=fiery).��I just kept adding a little bit of yellow to the mix and doing very small detail blending until I was happy with the result.

@clam:��Yeah I think the immortals definitely need some work…��I think they will end up having grey armour or something.��The sword is from the beastman plastics.

Now for pictures!��I have finished a unit of hobgoblins and my black orcs, although four of the black orcs are the ancient single-pose plastics.��I will either buy a sprue of the new plastics from my local indie retailer or put an ogre in for unit filler, I think.��This is the army so far:

And the black orcs:

The hobbos, kind of blurry, and I don’t intend for them to have command in the end, but you get the idea:

And finally a WIP picture of my Golden Hat #3 entry!

That about covers it for now, I’ve been trying to work on the BFSP thunderers/blunderbussers, but they aren’t being very cooperative. I may end up just buying a regiment of thunderers and converting from them…

Vodevil:

That character is awesome dude! It’s simple but freaking awesome, I totally love it… A conversion that I might actually be able to pull off. The only thing that could make these better are some hats. :stuck_out_tongue:

torn:

im loving the purple colour scheme, really works well on the hobgobbos and black orcs, and its something you dont see a lot.

that hobbo hero is just so different its great

hal:

The purple is very nice. My only criticism would be the basing, I think it would look a lot better with some static grass or something just to throw it off.

Canix:

Cool hobbos loving that purple ,the hero looks good if a bit underfed are you going to convert the wpn to a grt weapon