[Archive] Last weekend I put on a display game

Hashut’s little helper:

… it was for a game system called Armies of Arcana and the theme of the game was ‘Alternative Lord of the Rings’.

Armies of Arcana is a game system that allows any 28mm model from historical (from ancient to around 1650 AD) or Fantasy setting, from any manufacturer is welcome.

The Event is called ‘Salute’, it’s the largest miniature convention in the UK, it’s in London every April and over 4000 people come through the door.

The table was 18 feet long and 6 feet wide.

The big castle is a completely scratch built replica of a 1250AD Crusader stronghold from Palestine.

It was built by Neil who is a curator at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

The massive Titan size Giants are made of resin and they were built by Paul ‘Battleforge’ Stanley, he also sculpted all the halflings on the board (approx 300 of them), he will be sculpting Chaos Dwarfs in a big way later this year, I’ve seen someof his prototypes and I’m VERY excited :slight_smile: there were 6 players and an umpire, I supplied all the terrain except the castle.

Enjoy…

Halflings up close…

Halfling supply train crosses a bridge to bring supplies to the troops, who are in need of ‘elevenses’ …

The Army of the Dead is on the march…

Ronshank:

One word AWESOME!

I have major model envy going on right now

Hashut’s little helper:

WE certainly had a good time putting the exhibition on, a lot of people were taken with the Giants, the halflings and of course the monster castle… but it was a loooong day.

Kered:

WOW, I’m just overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of it all.

Hashut’s little helper:

WOW, I'm just overwhelmed by the sheer awesomeness of it all.  

Kered
There sure is a lot to look at, we are now wondering what to do for next year...

Baggronor:

Now that, is a battle :slight_smile: Particularly impressed with the Giants.

I didn’t get to look at anything at Salute, was stuck behind my stall lol.

Hashut’s little helper:

What was your stall Baggronor?

dncswlf:

Love the giants! that is quite a battle… great castle!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Hashut’s little helper:

The Battleforge does the make the most spectacular Giants I have encountered, they were catching everybody’s eyes all day long.

clam:

Very impressive sight :smiley: - and both castle and giants are really spectacular.

I love the battleforge halflings very much - so if Pauls evil stunties will be as good - I’m pretty excited too.

Let us know when something is official - and can be showned to us, will you?

warh:

a link to the battle forge website

http://www.thebattleforge.co.uk/index.html

Baggronor:

What was your stall Baggronor?
Titan Wargames, we were in the back corner. With my vast range of 6 models lol, a big thanks to my independent stockist mate who failed to make the show for that :) The muppet.

So I hope CDO gets a priority preview of these upcoming Chaos Dwarfs? :)

Hashut’s little helper:

I have seen some of the prototypes for the Chaos dwarfs and I have to say, I will be buying them, a lot of them.

I already have a LOT of his halflings and one of his Giants with the excellent Cyclops head, but his CD’s, yeah…

I’ve only seen a few of the proto type miniatures but yeah… I’ll be getting an entire army of CD’s from the Battleforge.

There have been different options for CD units over the years since the early 90’s but nobody has offered an entire range of CD’s let alone in a characterised style that appeals to me personally.

The battleforge is going to be bringing out an entire range of CD’s (as well as Halflings, Giants in different sizes and scales, regular dwarfs and Goblins).

I know I’m going to want to buy an entire army of his CD’s just as I have all of his almost completed range of halflings.

Some sculptors you click with, others you don’t.

For me the Battleforge style works, it just works. It’s got plenty of that old school character mixed in with some well thought out race specific characteristics.

Sadly I don’t have any pictures to offerr anyone of the upcoming Chaos Dwarfs but when they are ready, and they WILL be coming out, they will be a bit special, especially the new Chaos dwarf War Machine/Siege weapon he has planned.

Call Me Dave:

Is thebattleforge the one who is releasing a war balloon?

I know there was quite a lot of excitement about that piece when they released photos of the greens, myself included, another example of the individual style.  I have visited the company’s website but there is nothing there!

Do you know someone in the company?  Do you have any insider info on a release date for us?

Hashut’s little helper:

The Halfling war balloon is finished, the Battleforge is just waiting for the slow poke resin caster to get his backside into gear and it will be released as soon as that happens.

There are three different Gondolas available for the war balloon as well.

I wish the resin caster could get his A into G.

I want one. Grrrr…

Meantime, here is a guy who can really Really paint, he has done some cracking work on a variety of Battleforge miniatures and really done justice to the character in the sculpts, check these out…

http://www.artwho9figurepainting.co.uk/BATTLEFORGE%20MINIATURES%20GALLERY.htm

Call Me Dave:

Yes. I have seen those examples, the paintwork is phenominal. I bought a unit of Halflings from thebattleforge eBay shop, along with some green stuff, last week. I am only just beginning to paint them. I need to get my A in G too. I have a game booked tomorrow night and they are no where near ready…Maybe next week.

The balloon tho, that would be quite a sight on the table! I may wait until it’s release before unveiling my unit!

The Stormchild:

My head exploded due to the sheer scale of that display.:o

clam:

I have seen some of the prototypes for the Chaos dwarfs and I have to say, I will be buying them, a lot of them.
I already have a LOT of his halflings and one of his Giants with the excellent Cyclops head, but his CD's, yeah...
I've only seen a few of the proto type miniatures but yeah... I'll be getting an entire army of CD's from the Battleforge.
There have been different options for CD units over the years since the early 90's but nobody has offered an entire range of CD's let alone in a characterised style that appeals to me personally.
The battleforge is going to be bringing out an entire range of CD's (as well as Halflings, Giants in different sizes and scales, regular dwarfs and Goblins).
I know I'm going to want to buy an entire army of his CD's just as I have all of his almost completed range of halflings.
Some sculptors you click with, others you don't.
For me the Battleforge style works, it just works. It's got plenty of that old school character mixed in with some well thought out race specific characteristics.
Sadly I don't have any pictures to offerr anyone of the upcoming Chaos Dwarfs but when they are ready, and they WILL be coming out, they will be a bit special, especially the new Chaos dwarf War Machine/Siege weapon he has planned.

Hashut's little helper
This is probably the MOST interesting Chaos Dwarf news in a very long time. I hope you'll post news as soon as you hear anything more about this - and maybe even convince Paul to sign up - and show us some of his concepts/wips :D

G.2:

Ok I have a few comments.

1. Firstly, that game table looks awesome. This is the sort of thing, that I dream about. Parts of it look like some photos which appeared in the 3rd Edition rulebook (ie the river, the bridge and the half-timbered houses). I love it.

2. Secondly, the terrain pieces that you supplied look spectacular. Job well done. I am envious of your terrain collection. It has inspired me to keep working on mine.

3. Thirdly the halflings and the giants look great. I would like to see more photos.

4. Fourthly, Oh My Gosh!!! That Castle is absolutely great.

5. Lastly, the news of the upcoming Chaos Dwarfs sounds like GREAT news.

THANKS for sharing such a great event. Especially for those of us who can’t make it, as we live on the other side of the planet. - Thanks again.

RoguePanda:

Wowzers… absolutely fantastic looking battle! That must have been spectacular to be involved with!