[Archive] Latest O&G rumors - Of relevance to CD armies

Canix:

Love the new book and the spider not sure about the angular shape of the savage orcs but that maybe the photo/paintjob (not likely).

Truely Waaghalicous :hat

Grimstonefire:

If you clipped off the bones and covered what was left in rags I think they’d make good slave orcs actually… :idea

Da Crusha:

I love the new savage orcs, their expressions are great and Im already making plans for them in bloodbowl. can’t wait to get some of them. also really eager to see what kind of changes we are going to get from this.

zobo1942:

That spider-thingy is awesome.

Bolg:

I’m actually not really impressed or happy about the spider thingy…

looks like one of those things ever O&G army is going to have cos its so good and I dont like it…

Loki:

I'm actually not really impressed or happy about the spider thingy...
looks like one of those things ever O&G army is going to have cos its so good and I dont like it...

Bolg
I am with you on this mate, i really like the model and is great to see warhammer armies getting some big things to use at last but i wont be getting one for my goblin army as every one will be wanting one now and they will just be common place , oh your playing orcs and goblins of you have a huge spider thats a shock and it wont go with the fluff of the army as i am full night goblin all the way , the goblin ninjas i think will be getting in to my CD list as sneaky gits as i think as they are some very nice models :D

Thommy H:

Like every Tyranid army has a Trygon?

Willmark:

They have really stepped up their games with these… And their prices!

Henroth:

clam
They aren't boars, are the brothers of Alf. XD

nitroglysarine:

I rather like those boars, but now you point it out, they really are Alf-riders.

snowblizz:

I think they look a bit less Alfish than the “Original Angry Alfs”, then again, loved Alf as a kid so I’m not sure why it bothers me (and it does). Is it the paint scheme. Or maybe I’m just used to seeing that style.

Perturabo:

The contrast between the heads and the bodies is quite disconcerting. Especially because the other smooth parts of the models (the legs) are painted a similar colour to the fur. A sensible paint scheme might sort that out. Or possibly sculpting more fur onto the heads.

CheTralfara:

My big problem with the new release is that, as much as O&G needed plastics for the feral units (and the new forest goblins on the giant spider could totally be used on foot as standard goblins, but that would be so pricey, even with bits sites)… They have chosen to remake models that looked fairly decent (the metal savages) instead of remaking the ones that are completely out of proportion compared to today’s standards (the standard “goblins”).

So now there will be yet again another army book, with a beautifully painted army and units… and then a completely goofy looking unit, that is completely out of place in the new book (the standard gigantic head goblins).

They did the same thing with new skaven when they left Night Runners untouched… They still look like gigantic monkey rats and are completely out of proportion to the new skaven plastics.

GW is almost completely against doing conversions in any army books or white dwarfs, so of course we’ll see these out-dated units amongst ones that have the correct scale.

They did this last time with the Black Orcs… I love the Black Orc kit. It’s one of my favorites… but they look almost just like the older metal ones. Leaving these vanilla goblins still looking completely out-dated.

I hate the idea of buying this hardback full color book, only to think “why!??” everytime I see a picture of the out-dated gobs. It just really leaves their studio armies looking fugly.

Maybe I’ll be suprised and they’ll use prototype pics of new goblins for a second wave.

Thommy H:

This is the initial preview of the initial release. There could well be plastic Gobbos on the horizon.

Grimstonefire:

The reason they did this is because metal/plastic hybrids are top priority for replacing, followed by metal, followed by plastic.

They do however need to consider the need for them. Common gobbos and wolf riders are obviously very important, so I imagine they will be redone before squigs.

It is a cunning business move to release the book with old core units, then 6-9 months later release new core goblins so that all those who went out and bought the old ones with the hype of the new army will then go out and buy even more. As opposed to just releasing everything and giving people no reason to buy them all over again.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I really dislike the Arachnarok because it’s just an arachnid version of the stegadon. Sure, it has a catapult instead of a giant bow and it can have a big web thing, but what’s the difference? Big monster, with howdah, with shooty thing and option for caster to use it as a mount…

The Savage Orcs, generally quite nice, but their pecs seem somewhat squarish - even less pleasant to see on musculature than on cloth. The weapons are done exceedingly well though.

Still not a fan of the boars, but excepting that, they’ve pulled it off well.

The goblin ninjas - why? What need for them was there? Since when has the fluff mentioned this super ninjas? Sure, goblins are sneaky and backstabbing, but this implies they are good at fighting instead. Not a fan of the concept and think them not that brilliant modelwise. Just my thoughts on them.

wallacer:

That Arachnarok Spider is a 95 piece model :o

Baggronor:

The goblin ninjas - why?
Yeah, its an odd addition. Stick out like a sore thumb imo.

There is a thread about the rules on TWF already - the usual case of a 5 page thread of moaning guff about how awful the army is while only 1 poster has actually seen the book lol.

Fallen246:

My two cents:

- If Orcs can still use spears, I’m happy. If they can’t, I’ll be annoyed. I have 40 Orcs with spears to be painted, 25 with Choppas and Shields and another 25 with two choppas. I only made three units to have them all more individual. If two are the same, I’ll have no motivation to paint a majority anymore.

- The spider looks good, but I consider it to be more of a showpiece.

- Savage Orcs look savage. Enough. They’re okay.

Thommy H:

Yeah, its an odd addition. Stick out like a sore thumb imo.
I wasn't aware that Goblins being sneaky, slipperly little gits was that new a concept. I think everyone's getting a bit hung up on them being "ninjas", as if they're some elite clan of assasins trained in the Orient. I don't think that's the concept at all - I just think they're supposed to be the cowardly little runts who are good at sticking their enemies before they get stomped on themselves.