[Archive] Latest pics of Iron Drakes with rules

Heavygear:

I didn’t see these anywhere. Sorry if I missed it.

So what do you think? Convertible to Chaos Dwarves? How would you go about it?

Bloodbeard:

I’ve seen the photo - but not the rules.

That is absolutely insane - and way better than our blunderbusses. Wow!

5WS on the dudes. Effectively letting them hit on 3+ in almost every combat.

The gun: S5, armourpiercing, quick to fire, flaming attacks

Their armour: 4+, 6++, 2++ against fire attacks.

For 15 points? No brainer unit!

They’ll properly have a close combat unit with that armour - effectively stopping the destroyer in its tracks.

Yodrin:

Thats a pretty good unit, and a hell of a lot better then our BB. 15 points…wow

Bloodbeard:

14 points for Iron Breakers. They have the same armour.

That’s a 4+. 5++ (because of parry) and 2++ against flames. So that’s a Destroyer stopper right there - unless he makes some good thunder stomps on them.

BABIS:

Dwarf Crafted means that they re-roll to hit with their drakeguns?

Admiral:

The Iron Drakes are probably undercosted, but otherwise I welcome this Ironbreaker release. The Iron Drakes looks good and makes sense for tunnel fighting.

Skink:

I don´t think they are THAT good. I mean, their gun has a range of “only” 18 inches, they have “just” BS3 (although I suspect that Dwarf crafted means re-roll to hit dice) and at 15 points per model a decent unit would cost between 150 and 300 points. Hellcannon or Purple sun them out of the battlefield and watch the Dwarf player cry…

I guess that Thunderers and Xbowmen will still be the way to go for gunlines.

Sticklander:

Hellcannon or Purple sun them out of the battlefield and watch the Dwarf player cry...

Skink
Don't tell them the strategy before the battle has begun! ;P

I am still pleased with the dwarfs releases, and eagerly await next weeks!

These guys have lots of conversion potential!

Heavygear:

I have heard two versions of Dwarf Crafted. One it gives rerolls and the other that it just negates the -1 to stand and shoot. I guess I’ll find out for sure on Friday when I pick up my rulebook.

EDIT:

I don´t think they are THAT good. I mean, their gun has a range of “only” 18 inches, they have “just” BS3 (although I suspect that Dwarf crafted means re-roll to hit dice) and at 15 points per model a decent unit would cost between 150 and 300 points. Hellcannon or Purple sun them out of the battlefield and watch the Dwarf player cry…

I guess that Thunderers and Xbowmen will still be the way to go for gunlines.

Skink
Doesn’t that apply to just about every unit in the game? I really don’t understand the logic behind “Don’t take that unit it could possibly be purple sunned or dwellered off the board.” Yea Magic sucks this edition, Dwarfs are better at counteracting it than most armies. Here is a tip, try Gyrobombing the enemy caster before he purple suns you.

Fuggit Khan:

My first impression was not so much the rules, but the models themselves. I was holding out hope these could be good bits for conversions…but I’m disappointed in them.

These are Warhammer Fantasy?

If I had seen these without knowing they are Fantasy Dwarfs, I would of sworn GW was bringing back the 40k Squats. Fully armored with flamers…they look 40k to my eyes. I especially don’t like the long legs and arms…what the hell is with their long arms? Their arms are as long as a Gorilla’s, they could practically drag their knuckles on the ground while standing upright.

:frowning:

Skink:

Doesn't that apply to just about every unit in the game? I really don't understand the logic behind "Don't take that unit it could possibly be purple sunned or dwellered off the board." Yea Magic sucks this edition, Dwarfs are better at counteracting it than most armies. Here is a tip, try Gyrobombing the enemy caster before he purple suns you.

Heavygear
Totally agree with you pal! I was just saying that they are very expensive and that their BS isn't that high. In the end I think that they are a strong unit but definitely not a game changer. This said without knowing possible sinergies with other stuff.

Averrucus:

dunno… it seems to me that they have copy-pasted our FW rules with little tweaks for the “new” units/kits: longbeards are now basically Infernal Guards (troops, 1h-weapon and GW, with 1 slave shield option that puts them on par with our GW-IG…) and these Iron Drakes are “just” Fireglaives-IG (with the lame version of our Deathshrike Rocket as a CHAMPION’S OPTION???).

yeah, they have fancier rules 'cos they HAVE to sell…

Admiral:

The arms’ length is not much different from other GW Dwarfs throughout the years. The Iron Drakes will be equally useful for Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs and Squats if you like the look of them. I do for 40k and CDs, but prefer traditionalist Dwarfs in Fantasy.

A boost to Dwarf elite infantry is about bloody time. CD Infernal Guard was a good template to base them upon. The rocket is a flavourable option, if one don’t like it (or the Iron Drakes), don’t choose it.

Though I prefer the 6th edition Ironbreakers, I’ll give GW that these are a damn good update. Shame about the pricing policy.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Substitute all words of “Dwarfs” with “Chaos Dwarfs”…“Drakefire Gun” with “Blunderbuss”…I’ll take them! :smiley:

Glimpse the Void:

Substitute all words of "Dwarfs" with "Chaos Dwarfs"..."Drakefire Gun" with "Blunderbuss"...I'll take them! :D

Tarrakk Blackhand
My thoughts exactly.

Bloodbeard:

I’m looking forward to seeing the bits or some unpainted firedrakes. Not really sure if I’m gonna use them for blunderbusses or not. Perhaps only the front part of the gun.

It just occured to me, just how good these firedrakes/iron breaker will fit into the kickstarter ironborn dwarfs. Those beards are exactly the same.

Skink:

It just occured to me, just how good these firedrakes/iron breaker will fit into the kickstarter ironborn dwarfs. Those beards are exactly the same.

Bloodbeard
True, but that´s a pretty iconic design in Fantasy lore... I´ve seen beards represented the same way in Videogames and book covers as well.

Xander:

Exciting times with a new Dwarf release on the horizon. Though the prices are similar to Forge World, heh.

NoisyAssassin:

They would look good with some big hats adorning those silly little helmets…

gIL^:

I was worried what my fireglavies would be in the dwarf army, Using My cd’s as dwarfs :smiley:

Now i know!