[Archive] Legion of the Damned

Loki:

As i am sure you all know GW are redoing the Legion of the Damned models, and i think that most will agree that they look nice but i found this on GW site this morning and was shocked at the prices for them

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=6500048a

Yes they are nice models but not worth £10 for 2 :o

And i thought that the empire great swords where over priced, if they where the price of stern guard or vanguard they would sell them by the bucket load

Thorne:

As a former owner of a Legion of the Damned army and as a old school player I love the look of the models but I have to add that I am quite a taken a back at looking at there prices. Remembering black some time ago when all the Legion of the damned were was essentialy space marrines painted up gloss black with flame and skull motif’s painted on then I am quite put off by thinking that a tactical squad from games workshop will cost me no less than £50 , Id sooner spent time looking for Rtb01 space marrines and landraiders land speeders and space marrine dreadnougths and bikers of the same period and do what I did first time aroud paint the skulls flames and other detailing on myself. or indeed buy a heap of space marrrines and a flagelant boxed set from the empire range and work with something from that.

JMS:

Well, nice models they are. In deed. But they are even more expensive than Grey Knights… And in contrast to the Demon Hunters the legionaires, with a little GS-work, can easily be converted from normal space marines. Even traitor marines offer a good basis. As a result: no matter how good looking they are I am in no way willing to pay that much for a squad of them. :cheers

nitroglysarine:

i actually don’t think they’ve improved that much from the old models.

no where near enough to cover the spine-chilling price of £5 each!

Loki:

I am with you nitroglysarine they are not that much better than the original ones and in fact you get less options , i think i will revamp my old ones over Christmas all they really need are new arms and the new style bolters and away you go

Hashut’s Blessing:

In all honesty, when I first saw them (in WD I believe), I was trying to figure out what was new about them. I thought the flames etc were painted on, but I’m thinking they’re slightly raised now, otherwise it is just normal Space Marines. Simply buy Space Marines, get lots of the gun sights/Deathwatch bolters, maybe buy some shoulderpads with skulls.

I get the impression that some people will buy them, many will convert them and a lot will boycott them. GW won’t sell as many of these as they thought, but will likely still see as many Legion of the Damned models as they wished for: just largely home-made.

Clever pricing from GW strikes again!

nitroglysarine:

I bet they have stopped selling the shoulder pads they used to sell.

Just so people are kind of forced into these.

I’m just irritated in the fact i had about 40 to 50 of the old models, and i really can’t remember who i gave them to.

yes gave them to.

by this pricing they could be worth £200 plus. Grrrrrrrrr.

Hashut’s Blessing:

nitro: major bum man. I hope that you remeber and can get them back without too many problems.

As for shoulder pads, there are various ones that would work well. Heck, even use the crux terminatus things and scrape off the non-skull parts or get Death Guard shoulder pads (particularly the ribcage/spine style one). You could start getting skulls and shaving them in half, then attaching them.

slev:

Quick & dirty pricing conversion for inflation purposes. £10 for two now is

£5 for two in 1999

£2.50 for two in 1989

In 1994 they where selling them at £5 for three IIRC. The new price is about the same after correcting for inflation.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Regardless of inflation, it’s overpriced. The fact that inflation has made it so high is just evidence that they have ALWAYS been too expencive.

I found some shoulder pads for use in converting normal SMs into Legion of the Damned. Silver Skulls. Now, all you need to do is paint flames on everywhere :smiley: Ta-da :smiley: Much cheaper.

cornixt:

Kids are spoiled these days. I remember when all space marines were the same, if you were lucky you got a special character with an icon of your chapter. The space wolves came out with all the extra gumph on the models and it went crazy from there. I never thought that so many of the minor chapters (all that aren’t Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves) would have whole boxes of their own models. Just the shoulder pads was a great thing, now they are going all-out.

I’d always thought about doing a mini chapter using the Space Wolves models but with a different paintjob. DA were always my favourites though.

nitroglysarine:

you can just see why people make their own illegal home castings.

morality is an ideal for the rich! :wink:

JMS:

… morality is an ideal for the rich…

the joke of the day, man! :stuck_out_tongue:

Warhammerman:

Kids are spoiled these days. I remember when all space marines were the same, if you were lucky you got a special character with an icon of your chapter. The space wolves came out with all the extra gumph on the models and it went crazy from there. I never thought that so many of the minor chapters (all that aren't Ultramarines, Dark Angels, Blood Angels, and Space Wolves) would have whole boxes of their own models. Just the shoulder pads was a great thing, now they are going all-out.

I'd always thought about doing a mini chapter using the Space Wolves models but with a different paintjob. DA were always my favourites though.

cornixt
I know it's crazy. I am new 40k gamer and I really can't understand such customization and stuff. Customization is good, but when the nobody chapters get there own shoulder-pads it gets sad. :hat off

nitroglysarine:

... morality is an ideal for the rich...

the joke of the day, man! :P

JMS
hence the *wink*

Kera foehunter:

lol i don’t know how many dollars that is ?? help

The Brain:

I think the new models look nice but definitely over priced. The only model that I really like is the sergeant. But I have a bunch of the old Legion of the dammed models and some more that I converted by taking death company carving off the blood drops giving them bolters and legion shoulder pads. I think they look pretty good. All of them combined with my limited Sergeant Centurius I have about 35 of them so GW will not get any more money out of me for them. $35 US for a five man squad of marines is insane, but the sheep will follow where they are led.

slev:

Regardless of inflation, it's overpriced. The fact that inflation has made it so high is just evidence that they have ALWAYS been too expencive.

Hashut's Blessing
Perhaps. However, in that case, people should be less surprised.

That said, there are far worse culprits out there, and until their production can be justified in plastic, we're stuck with the higher cost of metals.

Willmark:

If I were to create a new army it would either be Dark Angels or Legion of the Damned. These do look pricey however.

AGPO:

The bolter and chainsword has quite a good tutorial on how to model LotD marines from plastic SMs