[Archive] Lord of Nurgle (updated 06/09/08)

clam:

Based on the sculpt itself and you usual painting talent it should have had a statue :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to see the pictures of him painted and the guys/girls he was up against - please post very soon.

Grimstonefire:

Here he is painted. Now I look at it closely I can see all the mistakes… But at 3:00 on Games Day morning I’m sure it didn’t look that bad :wink:

Here is one of the ones that one (Bronze). I will freely admit that it is very smooth blending, but even for a fantasy model the weapon is just too impractical IMO. Obviously the judges choose to ignore that :frowning:

U.K. 2008 - Warhammer Single Miniature - Demon Winner, the unofficial Golden Demon website

two_heads_talking:

That whole model is just way too busy. Much of the model gets lost in the gribblies (all the little added things)

Grimstonefire:

Compared to many warhammer single mini Golden Daemon winners of the past, he does have too much detail. But IMO that would not have been a problem.

The main problem areas with mine are the base and the flies. There are a few other areas on the model that would probably look like poor painting if you didn’t happen to have the artwork to compare it. The axe blade for example.

The wolf tails on the back weren’t great, and in hindsight I would have left off the flies.

Overall though it was a good effort, and if I left myself enough time next year to correct any mistakes, I will hopefully do better.

Xander:

Start a little earlier next time and you’ll be fine, oh, and enter a Chaos Dwarf.

Your model is stunning, and like you said, has really pushed your abilities. That’s something in and of itself. Well done, and a commendable effort!

Grimstonefire:

Chaos Dwarfs are an interesting one for Golden Daemon actually.  It’s not very often you see even Dwarfs winning in the single mini, they’re quite rare actually.  Georc’s CD Sorcerer was unusual really.

The main problem being that there’s a lot less space to show off painting skills (compared to a lord on steed for instance), so you have to be extra good to make up for it.

The other problem is that unless the judges like your own interpretation of them if its a conversion or sculpt), they will discard or disqualify it automatically.  They wrote something a while ago like; ‘you don’t know what a Cathayan looks like until we tell you’, and that was their way of telling you not to inpret too far.

Its really stupid, but it means I’d need to think a great deal on what to do.  Unfortunately my priority is to win something, and it would have to be an amazing CD that could allow me to do that.

Ghrask Dragh:

Woohoo! I’ve been waiting for this, awesome stuff :slight_smile:

There is alot of detail but that doesn’t take anything away from the model for me, though I can see why it may do for others. I think if you take a look at the concept art it’s a busy picture, the fact your miniature is so detailed is a tribute to how well you’ve done the artwork justice, well done Grim’

:hat off

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Hm, could it be that the judges reduced points for your model due to the “wrong” base? The model being a fantasy one and all… I thought there is this regulation in place nowadays that says that Golden Demon entries have to be “correctly” based but I might be mistaken.

Anyways even if you did not win anything, this model has certainly advanced all your skills and you have created something truly impressive. As Xander said, this is it’s own reward.

clam:

Finally - and it has been worth waiting for :cheers

I think he is perfect - can’t picture out one single thing you should have done differently. Brilliant job :hat off

I love him - sadly the judges didn’t :sick

speedygogo:

Great job on the finished model. I don’t quite understand GW’s fickle judging. Sure the painting level is a tad less than the winner but the amt of conversion work was incredible, that should count for something.

Kera foehunter:

GREAT JOB GRIMS!!! ITs look great !! From the flyies to his cool toes

Yea! at least you enter the contest !

Obsidian:

The added shield looks great. Nice job painting him. Some things can be better Imho though. I feel the metallics could use some more work for example. But you got yourself a really cool model there! :cheers:

snyggejygge:

Can´t see the mistakes you´re talking about, I just love that mini!

KRUG_666:

Very inspiring work here, It will be hard for you to top that I imagine…or not.

Damn fine job on everything.

Tharzhul Firehelm:

Fantastic Sculpt mate, great work :slight_smile:

Merchant:

I only have one thing to say: why are you not working for GW??? :slight_smile:

minty:

I only have one thing to say: why are you not working for GW??? :)

Merchant
ecuas ehe's too good for them, if he grim was to wrok for GW, they would all have to grovel and submit to his awesome CDness:)

Grimstonefire:

I have sometimes wondered what it would be like to be a full time sculpter, whether for GW or not. Overall I think it would be fun but not very rewarding, and not a very secure job either.

slev:

Well, they’re recruiting a trainee sculpter right now…

Grimstonefire:

Yeah I noticed that. Funny coincidence with this thread and all. If i’d seen that 2 years ago I probably would have been tempted, but not now.