[Archive] Major injuries

Willmark:

I was looking through my High Elf army thread as I was posting it on a few other sites and I got to thinking, the reason why I got so much of my High Elf army done in 1997 (I think I painted about 6,000 points of them that summer) was because I broke my leg.

So who else has had major injuries?

I’ll start March of 1997, broke my leg tibia and fibula in 13 places… playing soccer (or Football on the other side of the pond) of all things. I remained conscious throughout the whole thing and went 4 hours before I finally got pain medication, lets just say that was not fun. 6 months on crutches, limped for a year and half after. Rarely bothers me today but it was an experience to say the least.

Anyone else/

Baggronor:

I'll start March of 1997, broke my leg tibia and fibula in 13 places... playing soccer (or Football on the other side of the pond) of all things. I remained conscious throughout the whole thing and went 4 hours before I finally got pain medication, lets just say that was not fun.
Is that why you're encased in a gloss black cybernetic body!? :)

I only have minor injuries to recount. Final year of Uni, changing the blade on a stanley knife, it slips and opens up my thumb. My tutor gave me a lift to hospital, where I had to wait 5 hours to get seen. By which time, it had clotted and sealed of course, so they opened it again and glued it shut... then I had to walk back to Uni, and they made me mop up my own blood...:|

Canix:

I have alot of scars on my hands from Metal weapons re-enactments and modelling knifes however my worst one was while making a didjeridoo when i was using it in my left hand and i sliced my right palm between the thumb and forefinger to the wrist to the depth of the stanley blade.

It was at 2pm, i wrapped a towel around it and walked to a public phone for a taxi (no car or mobile ),wait a few hours to be seen and had seven stitches .The doctor couldnt believe my hands dexterity was unimpaired and apart from the dodgy stitching leaving a scar it healed very quickly :hat

Loki:

I am like Baggronor only minor one for my self but here goes, when i was 16 i was in the garage looking for a pair of wire cutters to do some pinning work on a model, next thing i know i have got a 4" nail stuck in my foot it went clean through my shoe and in to the bottom of my foot, needless to say there was alot of blood and then had to walk over a mile to the hospital as i did not know how to drive by the time i got there i had one very red sock and one white one.

Crube:

Well, I’m off work again at the moment…

I got a new works van in January, and in February, with only 900 miles on the clock, I managed to ‘test it’s offroad capabilities’ by driving it off the local bypass, through a fence, down a 10foot drop, into a ploughed field…

I was off for 3 months with a bad back and sciatica… returned for 2 months, and it’s gone again…

So lots of time on my hands, but most of it has to be spent laid face down, so no painting for the last 9 months for me :frowning:

Other than that… I broke my anke on a walking trip in Germany, Sprained the same ankle on a dodgy step at a previous workplace, fell down a set of concrete stairs at another workplace… not to count the innumerous cuts and slices with the hobby knife…

In fact, I think I should be wrapped up in bubblewrap, and not allowed anything sharper than a lettuce…

CDblunderbuss:

I’ve never had anything really serious like broken arm or leg, but once I got my hand cracked and had it in plaster for two weeks.

Willmark:

... and not allowed anything sharper than a lettuce...

Crube
Nice one.

snowblizz:

Wow… you guys must be clumsy… it seems my elf-like dexterity has kept my out of harms way so far… (knocks on wood)

A couple of deepish cuts but that’s all. Though I did have a splinter (don’t let the term fool you, it was thiiiiiis big) that had me limping for 2 weeks until the piece was ejected in a very Nurglesque manner.

Of course it isn’t so long ago I just got my first tick bite ever in 27 years I’ve had the possibility available to me so I’m waiting that any day I’ll fall into a coma to compensate.

Swissdictator:

I was born with a hole in my heart. The wall between the two lower chambers had a hole in it, and I had open heart surgery when I was 11 months old.

two_heads_talking:

i’ve never had a ‘major’ injury. worst i’ve ever had was when I was 8, I was climbing around on my dad’s harley davidson. he said never do it, but I did anyways. it fell over on me and the kickstand stuck in my foot. it didn’t puncture the skin, or break anything, but i’ve still got a mark on my foot from it…

or perhaps the worst was when i was moving my washer and dryer (just last year) and i was wearing flipflops and when i yanked it around, it caught my toenail and ripped that sucker right out (left a bit stuck in, which i had to immediately pull it out with a pair of pliers…)

Sojourn:

I almost moved the ligament off my right radial bone in my elbow when I threw a ball home when a girl tagged up at third in a tournament. I lost significant strength in my arm, and wore a tensor the remainder of the season. same season I sprained my left wrist sliding into third base (different game) and this year I bruised the nerves to my 3 fingers (pinky to middle) on my left hand when I was catching and took a foul ball off the palm. took 5 physio sessions to get back to it.

otherwise, knocks on wood nothing significant! phew

The Brain:

I broke my leg when I was younger. I also had two teeth broken in a baseball accident. When I had my wisdom teeth out I was off of work for a week and painted about 2500 points of dwarfs.

TwilightCo:

Once I was young and really reckless.

I was at this annual castle siege some people I knew hosted. I’m in a 65 lb mail hauberk, heavy helm and shield with a weapon in my other hand. I charge up a siege ladder (look ma, no hands) and catch a pike in the face once I reach the top. I pitch over and land on my shoulders, my right knee hits the ground behind my right shoulder, wrenching my pelvis, bulging the disk between the 4th and 5th lumbar bones and partially disconnecting my hip.  :o

The reckless part was that I continued the siege and avoided medical assistance for three years. Sure it hurt, but hey. I’m a strapping young man. :smiley: I realized there might be a serious problem the day I picked something up off the floor and my legs went numb. :hat off

Good times, good times.

CoyoteLaughs:

I was stabbed by an angry drug dealer, wrong place wrong time, right in the rib by an ice pick when i was 17. Then stabbed by a pocket knife in the knuckle by an angry boyfriend in houston, never throw a punch at a blade! learned my lesson on that one. Had pieces of burning metal lodged in my shoulder and right eye when i was a machinist. Also been hit by a baseball bat in the ribs, same side as the ice pick, and cracked two ribs. Thank goodness my mom is a nurse! most of my injuries were from me being young and stupid, but the machining ones were accidental!

Baggronor:

Then stabbed by a pocket knife in the knuckle by an angry boyfriend in houston, never throw a punch at a blade!
I'm guessing it was someone else's boyfriend? :)
Also been hit by a baseball bat in the ribs, same side as the ice pick, and cracked two ribs.
Wrong place, wrong time again? :o

CoyoteLaughs:

yeah i tend to have real bad luck when going out…

Sojourn:

yeah i tend to have real bad luck when going out...

CoyoteLaughs
maybe you should stay in... a padded room with no corners.... O_O

Willmark:

Cut my finger real bad last night with the hobby knife… Ouch!

AGPO:

Well, as a former profesional martial artist and amateur rugby player, I have quite a list. Approx two dozen broken bines, a compressed spine, innumerable scars, torn muscles and micro-fractures. The best was having to have my left ankle repaired after partially severing it on the floor. An improperly laid out matting system meant my foot got caught as I was already commited to performing a jumping spin kick. As I tried to propel myself six feet into the air my foot stayed put. Skin was left with a few tears and a lot of stretch marks but the inside was totally mangled -multiple tears including complete tears to all the ligaments, joint completely screwed up and an all round mess in general. I had to have a toe reattached after a botch in a live blade demo from one of my students, but I’ve re-habbed most of my injuries fully.

Most hardcore story has to go to a guy I met at an international seminar. Story goes that the guy is training with a group of other blackbelts, and falls badly, injuring his neck. The pain is incredible but, as he is a blackbelt the guy feels obliged to man it out. As with most martial artists, rather than paying for costly treatment every time he takes a slight knock, he just toughs it out on the sidelines waiting for his neck to get better. After two months though he’s still in serious pain so he goes to the doctor. The doc goes through the full range of tests, and when the results come in informs the guy he’s broken his neck. However, there is still one question that bothers the doctor:

“Why didn’t you tell us about the previous injury?” asks the doctor. “We had know idea you’d broken your neck oncebefore already.”

The guy gives the doctor a bemused look and simply says “neither did I.”

CoyoteLaughs:

yeah i tend to have real bad luck when going out...

CoyoteLaughs
maybe you should stay in... a padded room with no corners.... O_O

Sojourn
that would give me time to paint the miniatures, so that sounds not soo bad.:D