[Archive] Mantic Games doing "Warhammer" Models

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

Brand new company Mantic games starting next month will be releasing thier first army Elves, the next 2 are undead then dwarves, so the elves are going to in effect be the “test” army so that the ones after will get better and better.

The Prices look absolutely superb and it looks like they come in video box style boxes with foam

2 bolt throwers + 4 crew £12.50

bowmen regiment (20) £12.50

hail of arrows (20 men + 1 bolt thrower) £18.00

sea guard (20) £12.50

shield wall (20 spearmen + 10 scouts) £18.00

spearmen (20) £12.50

Warhost (50 men + 1 warmachine) £30.00

piccies

AGPO:

Top discovery 'Broomstick! I might use those spearmen as wood elf eternal guard.

wallacer:

Pretty nice figures.

Hopefully next they’ll spend their time doing something more worthwhile than Elves (like, oh I don’t know, Chaos Dwarfs :D).

Khunag:

This is great, we need more cheap plastic miniatures :slight_smile:

Astranagant:

I had been wondering what these looked like.

With the surge in new plastic regiment manufacturers in 28mm (Wargames Factory, Warlord Games, Perry Brothers, Victrix, etc…) I feel we may be able to get away from the “I’m using x company’s rules, therefore I have to by x company’s figures” and instead, hopefully, will encourage manufacturers to compete with each other in both quality of production and pricing.

Wargames producing exclusive figure monopolies is really kind of silly, in my opinion, and with one company finally producing a line of fantasy plastics in scale it won’t be long before we have a number of choices when we build a 28mm fantasy army for WHFB, HoT, FR!3, Chronopia, etc…

Tarrakk Blackhand:

These guys are Kool! you even get a dead one!

Thommy H:

Hate the design.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

The Brain:

Nice figs, any date yet on when the other armies will be coming out.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

Nice figs, any date yet on when the other armies will be coming out.

The Brain
Unfortunetly no, i would assume it would be a new army every 3-4 months as they are small forces at the moment - infantry only -

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Hate the design.

Thommy H
OH Thommy! Tisk Tisk! :D

Just Joking!

AGPO:

Only bit I have any objection to is the helmet design, if the scale is right I may just use spare glade guard heads to replace them

Baggronor:

The look of them is awful (some kind of 40k-fantasy hybrid mess, presumably dictated by the Marketing Dept :)), but the quality and price are very nice. Its encouraging to see other companies start to deliver the goods.

This_Is_My_Boomstick!!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9s-xCQrALM

From Gen Con 2009 showing the new models and packaging

Khunag:

http://corvusminiatures.blogspot.com/

(25mm bases?)

Border Reiver:

Those look like decent minis - I agree taht other manufacturers can put out a comparable product to citadel - Warlord Games makes some really nice Celts which have become my Carn Dum Barbarians for WOTR, and Reaper makes some nice viking-esque minis to add to my Cult of Ulric/WAB viking army.

What I’d like to see GW do is what they did for WAB - make the rules (which are still top notch), and contract for the supplements (those have been produced by gamers), while letting you use whatever manufacturer’s minis you need to to play the game - cause let’s face it, nobody is going to sell enough to make every line profitable…

Thommy H:

I’ll go into more detail:

I like the concept. I’m a big fan of these dirt cheap plastic kits that are coming out for historicals at the moment, even though sometimes the quality is not amazing. When the Perrys release their plastic War of the Roses range, I think they’re going to be getting an order from me. So, as an example of that, I think these are good. Casting looks pretty crisp, cost is good, looks like a lot of options and potential for customisation.

But who the hell designed them? I hate, hate, hate the way these look. They just look really tacky and 80s. Interlocking scale plate? Really? Going to a fetish party, are they? Certainly the guy in that weird jumping position looks like that’s where he’s off to. I know Elves are always a little big gay, but come on - put him face-down on a base and he looks like he’s the unit’s gimp.

Border Reiver:

The “dead” guy looks like he’s having a bit of a lie down, rather than having recently been informed that he is no longer to be counted amoungst the living.

Thommy H:

Oh, he’s supposed to be dead? Guess that says more about me and my depraved imagination than the figures…

Border Reiver:

Yes, it does.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

snowblizz:

While I’m not as depraved as Thommy (oh who am I kidding, I’m probably worse), I have to agree these at least this far isn’t something I’d be interested in. But they got a decent sculpt despite failing in the design IMHO, so it will be interesting to see further products from them.