[Archive] Mantic Games doing "Warhammer" Models

Baggronor:

Oh, he's supposed to be dead? Guess that says more about me and my depraved imagination than the figures...
lmao

I thought he might be moonwalking at first.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

But who the hell designed them? I hate, hate, hate the way these look. They just look really tacky and 80s. Interlocking scale plate? Really? Going to a fetish party, are they? Certainly the guy in that weird jumping position looks like that's where he's off to. I know Elves are always a little big gay, but come on - put him face-down on a base and he looks like he's the unit's gimp.

Thommy H
...when I finish laughing my butt off, I'll post a comment! :D (This could take a month!)

cornixt:

For multi part plastics, there aren’t a massive number of options. Only one arm is different for most of the models. It would help a lot to see them painted, but they just look weird to me.

Grimstonefire:

These are the elves, not the undead right? They are so painfully thin it’s just unrealistic even for fantasy imo.

Having said that if they were undead elves they would be quite cool.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Elves are supposed to be thin. Hope the undead look cooler, right now these models don’t allow for many interesting poses. But then again elves never are interesting anyway…

Ancre:

I like them. If I ever plan a wood elf army they’ll get in (but I plan too much stuff anyways …) and I am really looking forward for the dwarfs, as I am a dwarf fan (chaotic and non chaotic alike) :slight_smile:

Khan!:

It seems strange that these would be marketed as ‘Warhammer’ figures - well, actually no it doesn’t, that makes perfect sense. BUT what they really remind me of are Rackham elves, or to a lesser extent the new elves from Privateer Press. In fact when I saw the pictures of these built I thought they were new Confrontation figs.

In either case I think they look fine, but I hate elves so that’s really the end of that.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

@ Kahn…Elves are good for smashing with Blunderbusses! Long Live Hashut!

Swissdictator:

Dark Elves are good… as they seek to kill the more annoying High Elves.

I’ll hold my breath and wait to see some other armies. I might be interested in what could be used for Empire, Greenskins (for my CD), or Skaven.

Zanko:

I like that these elves don´t wear skirts like the GW ones! :wink:

The last real cool “Elves” were the old Melniboner (80th) from GW! - No skirts!

:hashut

Patsy02:

These elves are BRILLIANT. I love them. It suddenly makes buying an elven army an option for me.

Astranagant:

For those interested, the Mantic Games Blog has just posted a painted image of their elf champion.

Elf Champion

wallacer:

That picture is kind of a let down.

Thanks for posting it though. Interesting to see what the detail quality is when they’re painted up.

AGPO:

I had been wondering what these looked like.

With the surge in new plastic regiment manufacturers in 28mm (Wargames Factory, Warlord Games, Perry Brothers, Victrix, etc...) I feel we may be able to get away from the "I'm using x company's rules, therefore I have to by x company's figures" and instead, hopefully, will encourage manufacturers to compete with each other in both quality of production and pricing.

Wargames producing exclusive figure monopolies is really kind of silly, in my opinion, and with one company finally producing a line of fantasy plastics in scale it won't be long before we have a number of choices when we build a 28mm fantasy army for WHFB, HoT, FR!3, Chronopia, etc...

Astranagant
The rules that GW have on using their own figures at their events is to protect their business, and it makes perfect sense. GW's big advantage over other firms is not it's sculpts or rules but its hobby stores and events. If they allow other companies' minis at these, they cut out their biggest advantage. I can't see this changing, but more indie events might start allowing non-GW models which would be a good thing.

I'll go into more detail:

I like the concept. I'm a big fan of these dirt cheap plastic kits that are coming out for historicals at the moment, even though sometimes the quality is not amazing. When the Perrys release their plastic War of the Roses range, I think they're going to be getting an order from me. So, as an example of that, I think these are good. Casting looks pretty crisp, cost is good, looks like a lot of options and potential for customisation.

But who the hell designed them? I hate, hate, hate the way these look. They just look really tacky and 80s. Interlocking scale plate? Really? Going to a fetish party, are they? Certainly the guy in that weird jumping position looks like that's where he's off to. I know Elves are always a little big gay, but come on - put him face-down on a base and he looks like he's the unit's gimp.

Thommy H
Ditch the homophobia Thommy, there's no place for it here.

Thommy H:

There’s nothing in the least bit homophobic about what I said. Since I happen to be bisexual, you probably don’t want to get into this debate with me.

Astranagant:

The rules that GW have on using their own figures at their events is to protect their business, and it makes perfect sense. GW's big advantage over other firms is not it's sculpts or rules but its hobby stores and events. If they allow other companies' minis at these, they cut out their biggest advantage. I can't see this changing, but more indie events might start allowing non-GW models which would be a good thing.

AGPO
I certainly don't blame GW for restricting the use of models in their own events; it's their property, their store, so more power to them.

It's the indie events and non-GW venues that I meant to infer. The people I tend to worry about most are the folk who refuse to play a WYSIWYG non-GW fantasy/sci-fi army in a pick-up game.

Patsy02:

There's nothing in the least bit homophobic about what I said. Since I happen to be bisexual, you probably don't want to get into this debate with me.
Hah, awesome reply, some people seem to be made of fine porcelain when it comes to these things.

CoyoteLaughs:

Eh, pansy elves is pansy elves :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thommy H:

Well, look, I’m not making a point of it or anything, and AGPO can moderate how he sees fit. I just take accusations of hate-speech very seriously, especially given my own background. What I said wasn’t intended to be offensive, I don’t think it was offensive (and, as indicated, I do have some experience with this kind of thing) so I don’t want to get a rap on the knuckles for what was nothing more than a humorous comment.

Let’s move on, and all agree that these models are god-awful.

Scion:

Eternal Guard blocks, here I come!!