[Archive] Marauder Mage WIP

torn:

got my brown stuff in the post some time this week when i was away! bit late to start on the wings now though, and im possibly at work all day 2moro . . so still more waiting!

did do some designs for 2 more mages on the train down to my fianées house though, so at least i know what im going to be doing next.

and i also agree pulpers mini would make a good start, although i think the head is a little big, and the lack of arms poses a staff holding problem.

torn:

update!

the wings are finally done as well as some smoothing out and finishing off.

any comments and criticisms very welcome at this point. i think im quite happy with the way it has turned out, not perfect to my sketches but certainly not too far off, and ive learned a lot whilst sculpting this.

Pyro Stick:

This has turned out very well considering it was your first try at sculpting this. I cant wait to see it painted now.

torn:

yeah i think it worked out alright, probably better tan most of the things ive sculpted in the past because rather than working from ideas of things ive had actual design sketches to work from, and although quite rough they did help me a lot when i was stuck.

going to try resin casting it tommorow, see how it turns out! i dont want to paint the original sculpt because in a few months time my sculpting may have improved more and i can come back and change it.

Pyro Stick:

going to try resin casting it tommorow, see how it turns out! i dont want to paint the original sculpt because in a few months time my sculpting may have improved more and i can come back and change it.

torn
BTW what kind of resin are you using? Im thinking of making resin casts of the mage i have and i dont know what resin to buy. What would you suggest from here:

Mould Making and Casting Supplies

torn:

the resin i am using is a clear cast resin, i would say from that site it would be the water clear polyester casting resin. you will also need a hardener, and probably a dye.

i think its worth checking out ishkurs casting thread, as the resin he uses might be easier to use, as well as his rubber. wherever you are thinking of getting it from id say you will be looking at £30-£50 to get everything you need.

just poured the first half of my mold . . hope this one comes out ok lol, i did remember to use release agent.

Kera foehunter:

well sweety i hope you make enough for everyone . I like the great job you did on the figureTorn

torn:

well sweety i hope you make enough for everyone . I like the great job you did on the figureTorn

Kera foehunter
lol at the flattery . . . but kera you dont want one of these, what you want is my next WIP sorceress. ive only just started bulking the armature but my design sketches are pretty much done.

As for this one i think its going to be at least another day befor i have a finished resin piece to show.

Canix:

Ha ha a sorceresss as well the cast of this Mage could look well good keep us updated with how the casting is going Torn :hat

bandnerd1892:

Hey! I don’t know if you’re interested or not, but here is were I get all my casting supplies.

Great work btw! Keep it up!

nerd :stuck_out_tongue:

torn:

the second half of the mold has just been poured! im getting excited now lol

Kera foehunter:

well sorceress would be cool . But a female pirate captain would be more of a challenge

and of cource i like one (hint hint)

torn:

lol female pirate captain sorceress maybes . . sounds very characterful

the resin cast is finished, most of the detail has held the only air bubbles were in the feet and the bottom of the staff/beard slightly. this can be sorted but i want to do something special with this, make it into a sorcerer lord to be ‘counts as’ sorcerer lord on lammasu, except it wont be a flying lammasu.

asheira:

“I love it! I want one…”

/trys the Jedi mind trick

"You will cast that and send to me the mold"

“BLAST! i wish i was a jedi or sith, like willmark”

torn:

Here is what i have so far. ive decided my first cast is to be an on foot version, and i will do a conversion for the ‘mounted’ version.

here are a few pictures of the mold making stuff, and the finished cast of the model, fixed with greenstuff. i realise white resin against a white background is not the best thing for photography lol, so f you can see it i will tell you all the details have come through nicely.

I have to say its very rewarding completely sculpting something yourself and casting it. this is only the second time i have done that (i.e. not a conversion, every single bit sculpted by me).

I would make copies for people but i dont think i have the right quality in my molding and casting, and would be embarrased to post a sub-par model half way across the world to people.

and finally the dolly ive been bulking out for my second mage, the pirate sorceress lol.

bandnerd1892:

Wow, do you think you have enough armatures already made? lol Good work!

nerd :stuck_out_tongue:

Kera foehunter:

• Kera is in high hopes !! Will follow this one closely

torn:

its looking good so far, ill try and get a pic of my newest WIP shot tommorow, as well as my ‘concept art’.

i also have a painted marauder mage that i will have to get pictures of. and ill have to give it a different name from marauder mage. probably ‘torn mage v1’.

If i havent said it before ill say it again im really enjoying sculpting these, and my skills are improving in leaps and bounds over the last couple of months. I think if i give it another couple of months i will be sculpting at a good standard, with everything in proportion and proper hands and faces.

as bandnerd has already commented yes i have a lot of armatures. i build them up when i have spare bits of putty left over, and then bulk them out to practice proportions on. I also make blobs on sticks as the backs of heads to practice sculpting faces onto.

i have to say, thanks everyone for their interest in this project it has really helped me stay motivated!

Kera foehunter:

i think your doing well i know what you meen i doing better with the gs too .

one day i hope to cast too so what at !!!

torn:

yep its great to be improving at something! i think your doing much better too.

Ok so what have i got for today?

well first is painted pictures of my first cast. i didnt go for red and black because i wanted to try out different colours to be honest. the metals are my attempt at NMM, doing blue steel armour and silver for the wings.

and secondly, another WIP of mage number 2. I would like to post my concept design, but i think its more fun to have people thinking ‘what the hells that thing on her head!’. I think another couple of layers and the skirt will be finished, and the leg is actually supposed to be a peg leg from the knee down, although i wanted to do it metalic so i might need to add some rivets to it.