[Archive] May day

Kera foehunter:

Yea it May day !! another time to celebrate !!!

:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

breaks out ribbons and heads to the may pole

GRNDL:

/ties Kera to the Maypole…

Isn’t that what we’re supposed to do? It was the ancient custom… at least in Europe.

BilboBaggins:

You are risking life and limb attempting to tie up Kera. If she doesn’t get you her friends will. :slight_smile:

Sojourn:

You are risking life and limb attempting to tie up Kera. If she doesn't get you her friends will. :)

BilboBaggins
only after a good chuckle!

today was actually 'year end review' day at work. good news, I'm still employed.

Break out the booze! woooo celebration!

Willmark:

May Day eh?

“Those capitalist pigs will die eh comrades?”, “Austin, the Cold War’s over, we won.”

two_heads_talking:

Well, I have no Idea what May Day is, but I know MAYDAY is a bad thing. so, I’ll just avoid the stupid thing… thanks for another bleeding holiday that no one gets to take work off for… stupid dumb … bah

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Just wait another 25 days and it will be my birthday! May 26 1974…the Grooviest year in human history…just look at the clothing! LOL!

two_heads_talking:

NO! that would be April 13th… so, we must wait more months…

Nothing about the 70’s was groovy… Nothing… even though who thought it was groovy will tell you it really wasn’t… Damn hippies.

Kera foehunter:

no that be July 14th

@ thanks Bilbo !!

but i found out the skill of untying rope had help me alot in my adult life * kera smiles*

@ sojourn you go girl !!!

so everyone go out and party yea

Captain Crayon:

We get a public holiday for mayday (Australia) which is this coming monday (May 4)

Unfortunatly im not getting a holiday :frowning: 2000 odd km away from home doing my 14th 12 hour shift in a coal mine.

If i could actually grow a beard anyone would think im a proper dwarf :stuck_out_tongue:

Servius:

Mayday is originally based on a old religious Holiday… and modernly in various countries in a less ritual state… but Wiccans and other modern renditions of old religions celebrate it a Beltaine or various other names… Heres is pretty much the Wiccan definition…

Folk dance around the Maypole, emblem of fertility (the name “May” comes from a Norse word meaning “to shoot out new growth”). May 1st was the midpoint of a five-day Roman festival to Flora, Goddess of Flowers. The name “Beltaine” means “Bel’s Fires”; in Celtic lands, cattle were driven between bonfires to bless them, and people leaped the fires for luck. The association in Germany of May Eve with Witches’ gatherings is a memory of pre-Christian tradition. “Wild” water (dew, flowing streams or ocean water) is collected as a basis for healing drinks and potions for the year to come.

Interesting Celebration… mostly it was to in effect to make offering (via fire) to the fertility goddess in order for the crops to grow well and be plentiful for a good harvest in Autumn.

Being a former Wiccan I recall celebrating it. Pretty boring actually.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

Well it was a day off for me so I appreciated it! :slight_smile:

cornixt:

The day after Walpurgis Nacht!

dedwrekka:

I’ve got a bit of a flu, so I’m celebrating by getting drunk on hot toddies, I just hope I don’t wake up tomorrow finding out that I wrapped an aircraft in colorful ribbon.

Joshmohr:

Happy Beltane!

Severis is right… It dose originate from Wicca. I, myself am a wiccan. Last night we had a HUGE bonfire, the embers are still glowing atm…

BilboBaggins:

Happy Beltane!

Severis is right.. It dose originate from Wicca. I, myself am a wiccan. Last night we had a HUGE bonfire, the embers are still glowing atm..

Joshmohr
Cool, I haven't really talked to any Wiccans in a few years. At least none that I know about.

GRNDL:

You mean appropriated by Wicca. Germanic/Celtic/Nordic pagan religions, i.e: offshoots of proto-germanic culture, originated it.

Willmark:

I've got a bit of a flu...

dedwrekka
Hopefully not of the swine variety...

BilboBaggins:

I've got a bit of a flu...

dedwrekka
Hopefully not of the swine variety...

Willmark
The politically correct term for the virus is H1N1.
Isreal calls it the Mexican Flu.

It's pretty bad when the world worries about putting an emotional strain on animals. :P

Servius:

GRNDL is correct… Wicca is a hodgepodge religion involving MANY observences from both modern and ancient faiths. Who and Where the Beltaine rituals came from originally… is long lost to history. but most likely Germanic or Anglo.

Offtopic… By the way GRNDL Im loving the running list of WIN! and AWESOME! in your signature.