[Archive] Medals and Slaves

Grimstonefire:

The staff on CDO have several ways to reward members for their contributions, whether it is for accomplishments in the forum or the the wiki.  The Slaves system is another example of our limitless generosity, as every Chaos Dwarf knows you cannot have too many slaves! :slight_smile:

[/u]

Slaves System

Awarded Medal

Slaves System:

Everyone knows Chaos Dwarfs deal in slaves.  Whether it is from Orc bosses, or Ogre Tyrant, if you want the services of a Chaos Dwarf you pay them with slaves!

I am happy to announce that CDO’s slave plugin is now working.  The only people who can give out slaves are Admins and Mods.  They will be able to reward people for good posts, good etiquette, for winning painting competitions, or anything else!  Users will also gradually earn slaves for being members, you may not even know why!  We have decided to keep it a mystery to reduce abuse.  And look out!  If you are caught being mean or nasty to fellow members, the staff may see fit to punish you by sacrificing your slaves!  

It’s pretty simple, be a positive member of the community and you will earn slaves, be a negative member of the community and you will lose slaves.  Slaves are good for bragging rights, as well as a sense of accomplishment!  Once you earn your own slaves you can donate them to other users, or even pay users to make you things (like avatars!).  

How to Donate Slaves To Other Members:[/u]

A person has a number that corresponds to their slave total over to the left under their avatar.  That number also functions as a link.  If you click on it then it will open the page where you can donate slaves.

…and you should see something like what is in the picture below:

In the top box you enter the number of slaves you wish to donate.  In the bottom box you have the option of entering in a reason as to why the slaves are being donated.  You then click on the ‘donate’ button and you’re done.

Stance of CDO on slavery:[/u]

In the wider context of the Warhammer world the Chaos Dwarfs are considered an evil race. They openly take slaves, sacrificing many to their dark god or working them to death in search of wealth. Slavery underpins the Chaos Dwarfs as a race, allowing their empire to function. Such things are written countless times and cannot be disputed.

[/u]. It is assumed that members are acting ‘in character’ when referring to such things.

The Warhammer world is a fantasy world, and a dark one at that. Therefore members should not bring it out of context and argue about the moral issues surrounding slavery in the real world in any shape or form (historical or modern day).

If potential members are not prepared to accept this stance, they might want to consider carefully whether they join. There are more ‘virtuous’ armies out there, like High Elves or Dwarfs.

----------------------------

Medals:

We the admin team have decided that we need a way of recognizing the outstanding contributions of our members, and the reputation system just wasn’t good enough. So what did we do? Medals, that’s what!

There are several types of medals, which appear under a members avatar. I’ll quickly explain what they are and how to get them, here, so that you all know what people have done and how to gain them yourselves.

Golden, Silver and Brazen (or Bronze) Hats. These are achieved by placing first, second or third, respectively, in our painting competition, the Golden Hat. Gold can always be achieved and silver and bronze may only be won if there are 10 or more participants.

Golden, Silver and Brazen (or Bronze) Cogs. These are achieved by placing first, second or third, respectively, in our creative competition, the Artisan’s Contest. Gold can always be achieved and silver and bronze may only be won if there are 10 or more participants.

The Points of Army medals come in six flavours: Blackshard, Diamond, Platinum, Gold, Silver and Bronze. To obtain each one, you must have the requisite number of points made, painted and posted. It is generally easiest to collate a thread with this and include an army list, which must be legal using the most up to date rules for Chaos Dwarfs (some models may be used as unit fillers or proxy as others: e.g. Hellcannon counts as an Earthshaker). This makes it easier for staff to check, but they need to be notified and sent a link of where to find the army. Bronze is for 1,000 points, Silver is for 2,000 points, Gold is for 4,000 points, Platinum is for 6,000 points, Diamond is for 8,000 points and Blackshard is reserved for the most epic of Chaos Dwarf armies at 10,000 points!

The Image Gallery medal (the camera) comes in three varieties and shall possibly contain a fourth in the future. Gold, Silver and Bronze again. To get  the Bronze, one must post 5 units within the Image Gallery section of the forum. Silver is 10 and Gold is 15. Any Chaos Dwarf unit or Hobgoblin unit counts for this as long as it is a new unit. All other unit types, only count once, no matter how many different units of it you post, but we still encourage people to do so.

The End of Year Awards, as the name implies, come about once a year at the end of each. This is the second year running and the medals are:

Best Attitude - Which member has been the best towards others and the website itself.

Best General - The member that has given the best advice and helped the most tactically.

Best Hobbyist - The best at performing the hobby side of Chaos Dwarfs, such as converting and/or painting etc.

Best Contributor - The member that has helped the Website and Chaos Dwarf cause the most, over the year.

Best Overall Member - Whoever you think has done the best job all round.

The staff may be nominated for these, but not for things within their duties, such as myself for running the Artisan’s Contest or for Willmark in upkeeping the website, but if you think cornixt has contributed most to the wiki, then he may be nominated. (Also of note, these awards are for the year that has just passed, not for overall work. Look at the dates of posts to see when the acts where performed)

The Veteren’s Medal is awarded to those who have participated in forum competitions. Competing in five contests (either Aristans and/or Golden Hat) makes one eligible for a Veterans medal.

The Showcase Medal, being given to user whom have their armies featured on the main CDO website.

The Wiki medal is awarded to those that have contributed large amounts to the wiki and is usually judged by the administration and moderation team, but suggestions are considered.

Contributors to the Word of Hashut Webzine will receive this medal!

The CDR medal, is a medal for making an “appearance” on the podcast, Chaos Dwarf Radio. Long time hosts and helpers of the Chaos Dwarf Radio Podcast will also receive this medal.

If you feel that someone is worthy of a medal, or you think that something else is worthy of a medal being given, PM one of the staff to make your nominations.

lord balduron:

can we get the army medals for an army other than CD’s?

Grimstonefire:

No, sorry.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

lord balduron:

not even if we did something like a O+G army made entirely by hobgoblins?

Grimstonefire:

I presumed you meant something completely unrelated to CD, like empire or something. :wink:

The army collection medals are for CD themed armies (I’d need to check with staff on exactly which lists we’re using for this, but Ravening Hordes would definately be one).

The gallery contributor ones are for the existing galleries, I’d have to check whether we have enough to get the lowest one without posting in any of the other CD ones (only the greenskin ones).

The showcase one will have to include some Chaos Dwarfs I imagine.

lord balduron:

thanks grimstone. sorry to have to clutter the topic up.

TheVoice:

I don’t know if I’m the noly one who has noticed some of the medals are muddled up and don’t correspond to the text properly, but it should be an easy fix so I thought I would mention it.

Nicodemus:

I don't know if I'm the noly one who has noticed some of the medals are muddled up and don't correspond to the text properly, but it should be an easy fix so I thought I would mention it.

TheVoice
Oh yes, I see that... in Grimstonefire's original post above they're not correctly linked any more. They used to be. It seems like the medals in people's profiles are displaying OK, assuming that the 'alt' text that correctly corresponds to the image are both the ones that each individual ought to have.

~N

Grimstonefire:

I think willmark will need to look at this, as he reloaded all of them.

Willmark:

I’ll take a peek at them tonight.

Nicodemus:

Horray … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Borador:

What are the “rules” concerning the Veteran’s medal? (:

cornixt:

Secret! Enter the competitions enough and you’ll get them eventually.

Borador:

Ah okey, that explains! Thanks cornixt!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Something else to note is that the medals in post one seem to be slightly iffy. The CDR medal looks like the one currently above WoH.

EDIT: Has now been corrected.

cornixt:

Lots of them were wrong, probably been wrong since the corruption last year sometime when they were named differently. That’s what you get for naming files using numbers instead of words!

I’ve fixed them all now (and they were all very jumbled), except for the Showcase medal which I seem to have misplaced.

EDIT: found it! Also added the Veteren’s medals through lucky guessing, plus a description for it.

Borador:

Great work cornixt!

Hashut’s Blessing:

Good job, sir!

CopperPot:

Will we get army medals if we are using Tommy H’s list(Army Points medal) thanks.

Nicodemus:

Will we get army medals if we are using Tommy H's list(Army Points medal) thanks.

CopperPot
I don't see why not! It's a list that CDO supports, so my suggestion is to go ahead and plan out your army list, get your photos and PM one of the admins for your medal... just be sure to mention which list you're using!  :hat off

~N