[Archive] More Hobgoblins

ryanamandaanna:

So, I’m basically following the formula that several others have begun.  Stormvermin bodies, Gnoblar heads, beastmen arms for bows, dark elf and/or marauder arms for shields, weapons, etc., and other various bits for banners and such.  I made 60 total; I’ll probably make more once I have all these painted…

One of the Standard Bearers:

One of the Unit Leaders:

Two hand weapons:

Bow/Shield:

Hand weapon/Shield:

zobo1942:

Those look REALLY nice! Well done!

Bolg:

I love how these became the new standard so quickly (:

and its a lovely horde, start painting!

Groznit Goregut:

They look awesome! I’ve only seen the Plague Monks version. I wonder if there is any inherent pros in picking models that look a bit more menacing (stormvermin vs. plague monks)?

Oh, where does everyone get that cork that I see for the bases?

RTMaitreya:

These look SOOOO sweet. I have been amassing ungors as well for the same bow trick. My problem is that the unit overall costs so much, that I really am having trouble making the plunge. Clanrats from the boxed set are essentially free. . . ungor bow arms are free (since I already have them from beastman army), and gnoblars are cheap. It’s those dang Stormvermin bodies that are pricey. . .

zobo1942:

@RTMaitreya: you can get the stormvermin bodies here

http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?cat1=stormvermin&cat2=&cat3=&cat4=&page=&view=WHF-SK-STORM-1

Works out to about $1.17 per body.

Hope that helps!

RTMaitreya:

@RTMaitreya: you can get the stormvermin bodies here

http://hoardobits.com/cgi/hob/shop.pl?cat1=stormvermin&cat2=&cat3=&cat4=&page=&view=WHF-SK-STORM-1

Works out to about $1.17 per body.

zobo1942
That's not bad, but I'm cheap and patient.

I look at being opportunistic and picking up items for 30% off all in (taxes, shipping, etc.) and never pay more. That means I can budget $35 for a box of 20 stormvermin, which is $1.75 per body, but you get EVERYTHING else (including base) for the bitz box for future work. It's how I got free ungor bows. . .

When I can next get an opportunity, I'll pick up four boxes of Stormvermin for that price, but I have to lie low until it's possible. Then the grand kit bash sounds like it's doable (and I might have more expendable income by then too). I like the units of 50, so I'm thinking an absolute minimum of hobbos is about 90. (50hwsh+20bow+20bow). The 80 vermin plus unit fillers will give me those three units plus extras for bolt thrower teams.

tjub:

WOW… I almost want to redo mine.

Galladorn:

They look absolutely amazing! I think they’re going to make a fantastic horde.

Borador:

It’s funny to see how these became popular so quickly! They fit in with the FW CDs nicely IMO.

Your bunch is looking good, now paint them haha!

Blue in VT:

Damn…you all are some creative mo fos around here…it never ceases to amaze me what you guys can do with a bunch of plastic bits. Makes an old, metal addicted, brain like mine hurt!

Very nice looking unit!

BTW what is a Gnoblar? we don’t have them in the 3rd edition…haha

Cheers,

Blue

ryanamandaanna:

I look at being opportunistic and picking up items for 30% off all in (taxes, shipping, etc.) and never pay more.  That means I can budget $35 for a box of 20 stormvermin, which is $1.75 per body, but you get EVERYTHING else (including base) for the bitz box for future work.  It's how I got free ungor bows. . .

RTMaitreya
do it from here, then:  http://www.superherogameland.com/product_p/gaw90-07.htm

$36; no tax if you're in a different state, and free shipping if you get $125 worth of stuff.  All their items are at least 25% off.  :cheers
Oh, where does everyone get that cork that I see for the bases?

Groznit Goregut
I got it from either Target or Walmart.  comes in 4 1ft x 1ft squares for about $8.  I've used it on a ton of models and I'm just starting the 2nd sheet.  :)

Blue... does the VT stand for Virginia Tech?  I live in Northern Virginia by D.C...

Shef:

while i love the old school ones and will never replace them, i do love this conversion! they look awesome! I agree with Borador they do fit in with FW well

Groznit Goregut:

What section of Walmart do you get it from? Craft? Hardware?

Much appreciate it!

ryanamandaanna:

Craft or school supply, I believe.

Nicodemus:

Can not wait to get my Stormvermin now… I’ve had four models to paint for a friend for over a year and I keep putting them off. Luckily I’ev held out long enough that he’s upped the ante and will get be a box od Stormvermin if I finish them :hat off

I think we maybe need to update the hobby videos with a Stormvermin->Hobgoblin conversion video!!

They have a fantastic look that seems to really work for Hobgoblins as the Stormvermin armour has a little of bit an Eastern element to it. -

This isn’t a criticism of the work in this thread, this is just an observation of some of the Hobgoblin conversions in general, but I’m not totally convinved about some of their features. In particular, their waistline. Where’s the paunchy bellies of the older Hobgoblins? Is it just that the Hobgoblins in service of the Chaos Dwarfs of the past got fat and lazy?? I’ve been thinking when I get my Stormvermin I’m going to give it a go adding some GS to the stomach area to bulk out the armour plating a bit and give the hint of a bigger belly. GW Hobgoblins from 3rd edition onward have had round tummies, flattened noses, tusks clawed feet and hands. To each their own, but these are elements I wanted to try and keep with mine. Keeping Skaven feet and hands works for the claws, and I don’t see it being much work at all to add tusks, tummies and droopy noses to a unit of 20 models… the other part I’m really struggling with in getting my Hobgoblins going is additional themes for them… what to do with thier bases or for a unit filler? I could keep the Chaos Dwarf theme going with lava and slavery, etc. but it seems there could be some other elements that I’m missing for dressing up a unit of Hobgoblins that helps them stand out a little from just looking like the bases of my Chaos Dwarfs…

~N

zobo1942:

Actually - that’s what I really like about these ones: the lack of the pot bellies and the hat/hoodie thingy. The ones with the goblin heads on the (JMR’s? I think?) look great as well. I agree that they are quite different than the ‘traditional’ hobgoblin, but I still think they look marvellous.

I think these things look vicious AND stupid… which feels just right, to me.

Also, the idea of a video is a GREAT one.

EDIT:

ALSO - I’m looking forward to seeing if someone can create a wolfrider conversion in the same style!

Nicodemus:

I agree zobo, there’s more than enough room in the scope of the hobby to have a slightly different look for a given race. I think the more classic Hobgoblin look is really just my personal taste, which could perhaps do with a little revamping anyway now that I think of it!  ;)  I’m ususally the first one to be put off by someone who complains about a model not looking close enough to their stereotype to count… like someone complaining if Chaos Dwarfs have light coloured skin and brightly coloured clothing/armour, or High Elves with dark skin and dark & dirty looking armour.

Ohhh, Wolfriders in this style… that could take some work, but I bet it would be worth it!

edit

For the Stormriders…

I think removing some of the Bōgu (or what ever the proper term is, marked with the X) and then clipping the legs to widen the hips and re-angle the lower legs downward again would work for these guys to straddle a wolf.

In a pinch you could always file down some of the wolf’s back and sides where the body and legs of the rider goes and cover the narrowed region with GS to make it look like fur again or a saddle…

@ryanamandaanna you’ve got close to 60 models there… yikes!! Did you purchase the bits you needed separately or did you purchase a several whole Stormvermin kits and go from there?

~N

zobo1942:

Here’s an idea for a unit filler:

http://www.warploqueminiatures.co.uk/products/wrp-004/river-troll

Some armour plates and a big axe, and hey - a bigger version of the ‘gnobgoblin’.

ryanamandaanna:

@ryanamandaanna you've got close to 60 models there... yikes!! Did you purchase the bits you needed separately or did you purchase a several whole Stormvermin kits and go from there?

~N

Nicodemus
I got all the bits and pieces individually from Hoard O' Bits and the The War Store (both on ebay).  they ended up being about $2.50/model-- pretty expensive, but I do like how they turned out.