[Archive] Moscals

Ghaust Mortium:

Has any one heard anything about these new guys? They are really cool. The are new chaos dwarf army from scibor miniature. They are still being developed, and you can only buy some four different models so far. But when it is done, it will be a full scale army you can buy. I think they are really amazing.

Link to store

http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,shop.php?group=87

Link to Sketches and backround

http://www.sciborminiatures.com/en_,monstrouns_news.php?id=744

Thommy H:

Oh my God, do we really need three threads about these terrible figures?

Xander:

That’s Thommy’s way of saying, "Welcome to CDO! Thanks for joining and contributing!"

But yes, we have heard of them! I think they are interesting. :slight_smile:

Pyro Stick:

I dont want to be too harse so i didnt vote for Yuck. I think they rank between yuck and well… though. TBH they dont even look like anything that could be called chaos dwarf imo.

Ghaust Mortium:

well they are based on russian history. I like the elites. The Boyars.

Thommy H:

That's Thommy's way of saying, "Welcome to CDO! Thanks for joining and contributing!"

But yes, we have heard of them!  I think they are interesting. :)

Xander
Whoops, didn't realise that was his first post :P

cornixt:

Assuming it is a sliding scale from bad to good, I went for "Well…"

They are okay but lack a bit of detail in some places while overloaded in others. I’m not really a fan of the style either.

Grimstonefire:

I had to go for ‘well…’ also, the models themselves are well sculpted, but poorly posed.  The bases however are awesome and I will probably base my CD army on them if GW gets round to doing some (or I make some decent warriors).

I like that he actually sculpted moustaches on dwarfs for a change.

Kera foehunter:

Time out !! tommy h !!

i see you need more ninja training!!

mattbird:

I… kinda like them. I think I like his sketches more than the actual models, which seem kind of static and too tall?

apocalypstia:

i would put them between well and cool, i can think of landfill full of minatures that come in worse than these. Decent enough to put on my table with proper paint… provided i can ever get around to painting up anything.

Then again context is everything:

If you have been around sculpting your own stuffs, making seemingly unique creations on an awesome scale - as some of the growing talent here then they are not so hot, esp if you were tainted by early works.

If your newish to re-creating/creating your own chaos dwarf collection and havent had success or experience in creating your own and you have a penchant for certain historical finesses then yeah they jump up the scale a bit.

If you like them Ghaust then by all means add them to your minions, give them your own flavor and make them jump up and slap the nay-saying masses into acceptance.

And yeppers there have been some scribor threads which may have been cloaked or otherwise easily missed, no worries. Sometimes i spend too much time sifting and not enough posting… hahahaha… just the way the bytes crumble my way i spose.

Thommy H:

If you have been around sculpting your own stuffs, making seemingly unique creations on an awesome scale - as some of the growing talent here then they are not so hot, esp if you were tainted by early works.
If your newish to re-creating/creating your own chaos dwarf collection and havent had success or experience in creating your own and you have a penchant for certain historical finesses then yeah they jump up the scale a bit.
Or you could compare them to other professionally produced miniatures, since that's what they are. Scibor always gets a free pass because people rate his work as if they're conversions or one-off scratch builds.

dedwrekka:

Or you could compare them to other professionally produced miniatures, since that's what they are. Scibor always gets a free pass because people rate his work as if they're conversions or one-off scratch builds.

Thommy H
Well, usually when someone's complaining about his stuff the models that get pointed to really are one off scratch builds and conversions.

I wouldn't call it professional style, I'd call it studio style.

Grimstonefire:

I haven’t heard people complaining about the resin casts, only the mass produced space marine conversions.

There really wouldn’t be any reasons or excuses why the resin cast stuff should not be a good quality.

dedwrekka should know. :slight_smile:

Ghaust Mortium:

i would put them between well and cool, i can think of landfill full of minatures that come in worse than these.  Decent enough to put on my table with proper paint.. provided i can ever get around to painting up anything.

If you like them Ghaust then by all means add them to your minions, give them your own flavor and make them jump up and slap the nay-saying masses into acceptance.

And yeppers there have been some scribor threads which may have been cloaked or otherwise easily missed, no worries. Sometimes i spend too much time sifting and not enough posting... hahahaha.. just the way the bytes crumble my way i spose.

apocalypstia
Well, actually I don't have any army for that matter. I have been following warhammer and 40k for about three years now, but the stuff is too ecxpensive for me at the time. the furthest I have gotten Is I bought an empire reinforcment battalion and a general. I also had some space marines, but I gave them to my friend has finally decided to go with wood elves. I have a problem with making up my mind sadly.

I think I will field an army of moscals, I guess. I like them better than the traditional chaos dwarfs (Hellcannon crew), or converted dwarfs(I suck at conversions). I like the proportions better. Much more realistic IMHO.

dedwrekka:

I haven't heard people complaining about the resin casts, only the mass produced space marine conversions.

There really wouldn't be any reasons or excuses why the resin cast stuff should not be a good quality.

dedwrekka should know. :)

Grimstonefire
I just bought some and took pictures. I wouldn't claim to be an expert. Thanks though :cheers
It's just my inexpert opinion that the casts, while good, I wouldn't call professional. Professional casts would have more mould lines than Scibors, but it would have also hit the couple inside areas (detail around the inside of the arm and the inner portion of the cloak on the static Boyars) that can be hard to get without the use of something like a mould injection system or cutting the models into pieces. I'd just call it studio quality models. In the end, the pictures I gave are about the best evidence I can give for the good quality of the casts, the rest is just what you personally think about them. No one has to agree on what they think about them.
i would put them between well and cool, i can think of landfill full of minatures that come in worse than these.  Decent enough to put on my table with proper paint.. provided i can ever get around to painting up anything.

And yeppers there have been some scribor threads which may have been cloaked or otherwise easily missed, no worries. Sometimes i spend too much time sifting and not enough posting... hahahaha.. just the way the bytes crumble my way i spose.

apocalypstia
Well, actually I don't have any army for that matter. I have been following warhammer and 40k for about three years now, but the stuff is too ecxpensive for me at the time. the furthest I have gotten Is I bought an empire reinforcment battalion and a general. I also had some space marines, but I gave them to my friend has finally decided to go with wood elves. I have a problem with making up my mind sadly.

I think I will field an army of moscals, I guess. I like them better than the traditional chaos dwarfs (Hellcannon crew), or converted dwarfs(I suck at conversions). I like the proportions better. Much more realistic IMHO.

Ghaust Mortium
Hey, welcome to Chaos Dwarfs Online, we're Warhammer's biggest disagreement on the look of an army. Hats, Helms, Masks, and Moscals are all just personal takes on what you like and what you want your army to be.

Border Reiver:

Hats, Assyrian style beards, and an Assyrian style of spreading terror…

While the figures are technically OK they do not match any of the visions I have of the Dawi Zharr - that and the crotch plate doesn’t match any style of armour that would actually be worn by someone who has to move and fight.

The Bases are top notch though and are definitely worth looking into.

Thommy H:

It's just my inexpert opinion that the casts, while good, I wouldn't call professional.
Exactly. Why should anyone revise their expectations down? If someone is charging money for a product, I expect that product to be professionally made - that's what the word means.

He comes from a converting background, not a sculpting background, but the second he starts producing unique figures for sale he has to be judged against the Kev Whites, Andy Fosters, Felixes, Werner Klockes and even Tom Meiers of the industry, not Little Johnny EBay with his green stuffed conversions.

Loki:

I like the models they are something different that we have not seen beofre and i think that thats a good thing

Henroth:

Oh my God, do we really need three threads about these terrible figures?

Thommy H
Yes, this is a Deja Vu. :s