[Archive] My 15mm army

Duncan:

Hello,

I don’t have an exciting theme or name for my army and I don’t know a lot about Chaos Dwarves. I had always wanted a Chaos Dwarf army back when I used to collect Citadel Miniatures back in the 80s and 90s but buying houses and stuff prevented me having the funds. Although I did collect sizeable Man o War fleets!

By the way, I tried to post in the introduction forum to introduce myself but got and error saying I did not have permission to post there?

Anyway, nowadays I mainly collect 15mm scale historical figures. I have always been a modeller rather than a gamer but over the last couple of years I have become involved with a local group who game in 15mm doing a lot of play-testing and general historical games. I enjoy Dark Ages through to the 1700s in the main, but really whatever, I have some Sci-fi and other fantasy stuff on a slow back burner as and when I feel like it. Currently my group is working on pirates having just finished Western.

So seeing the 15mm figures from Admiralty Miniatures I decided to get some and see what I could do. I have to say, I like conversions but I am not the best painter or photographer. It was an ideal opportunity to collect a Chaos Dwarf army at the scale I now use mainly.

So I painted up a couple of units, Hammerers and Blunderbuss dwarfs to start with. Then wanted some artillery but there did not seem to be any. Time for

tjub:

Thats so cool and a good conversion! Great to see more Tjublings with paint on! :cheers:hat off

I have plans for warmachines as well, hopefully it won’t take too long…

Odd about not being allowed to post all over the forum, might have something to do with “group: chaos star”? Im sure some admin will fix it soon.

boyfights:

Really nice job! I love your bases too, I was really tempted to order some flowers with my basing materials but decided against it at the last second and I’m seriously regretting it, they look great! Think I might grab a few with my next paint order :slight_smile:

Abecedar:

“F. F. F. Flowers…” Burn them.

Oh. and welcome Duncan.

Uther the unhinged:

Flowers make perfect sense. After all we are not conquering OUR lands are we. We have to have SOMETHING to trample underfoot and hoof.

Lovely warmachine btw. I love seeing scratch built stuff and it is good.

Don�?Tt worry about the photogtaphy and painting too much , it is still way better than mine and I do 28mm so have no excuse. Welcome aboard

Duncan:

Yes, sorry to those who don’t like flowers!

I usually do use these on my bases, there is a chap who lives close to me who sells them and does a good deal for hundreds of them. The grasses are available in all different shades and make good base cover. I usually cover my bases in greenstuff to cover and even out the metal bases of the figures.

The bases I use are 3cm square for infantry and 3cm by 4cm for cavalry, then 4cm square for generals and hero’s. This is the standard size used by my group of gamers and modellers for the rules we use.

I am not big on huge sculpted bases with trees and walls etc as I think it looks like figures are dragging the stuff around with them and it gets in the way of unit cohesion, but three or four little (more on bigger bases like artillery.) tufts of grass is OK. Just my thoughts on basing.

Duncan:

Thats so cool and a good conversion! Great to see more Tjublings with paint on! :cheers:hat off
I have plans for warmachines as well, hopefully it won't take too long...

Odd about not being allowed to post all over the forum, might have something to do with "group: chaos star"? Im sure some admin will fix it soon.

tjub
Hello,
Thanks for making these available. The chap at Admiralty Miniatures suggested I do an army post as he said you like to see what people are doing with the figures. I have quite a few conversions to post. I have some halberd dwarfs, hero base and rocket launcher as well as the standard squads.
I am looking forwards to getting some of your little dogs and the bull centaurs and the others all of which look great.
Thanks again for making these.
Duncan.

The_Penguin:

Impressive! :cheers Looking forward to seeing more!

I have never collected or painted 15mm miniatures, but those tjublings are just outstanding! Perhaps, I’ll try some after I complete my main army. ) :slight_smile:

tjub:

Hello,
Thanks for making these available. The chap at Admiralty Miniatures suggested I do an army post as he said you like to see what people are doing with the figures. I have quite a few conversions to post. I have some halberd dwarfs, hero base and rocket launcher as well as the standard squads.
I am looking forwards to getting some of your little dogs and the bull centaurs and the others all of which look great.
Thanks again for making these.
Duncan.

Duncan
Of course, please share your creations!:hat off
I started making "Tjublings" for my own army but seeing other people enjoying them as well just makes me want to keep building the range! Hehe, Ive ideas and concepts for 10+ moulds.

Duncan:

When I think of Chaos Dwarfs and Dwarfs in general really I think of them with axes and specifically large two handed axes or pole weapons, like halberds, bills or pikes, that sort of thing.

I wanted to add some to my 15mm army and decided to get some figures to make these. So I got hold of some command figures. From there I was able to make some using the standard bearer figure which would be upright and some front rank ones from the command figure with the halberd slightly lowered.

[attachment=5556][attachment=5557]

Using the standard bearer was a simple conversion, just adding a blade type of thing to the pole. I did shorten the pole slightly as well as it looked a little long to wield successfully for a short figure. The Commander conversion required slightly more as I had to sculpt a hand from green stuff which I confess to not being very good at. But anyway here they are.

I have to  paint the front rank ones now and after this buy some more HQ packs to make more of them. (What to do with all those drummers?)

By the way, here is another shot of the cannon showing the other side and a general overview of it.

Abecedar:

Yes, sorry to those who don't like flowers!
I usually do use these on my bases, there is a chap who lives close to me who sells them and does a good deal for hundreds of them. The grasses are available in all different shades and make good base cover. I usually cover my bases in greenstuff to cover and even out the metal bases of the figures.
The bases I use are 3cm square for infantry and 3cm by 4cm for cavalry, then 4cm square for generals and hero's. This is the standard size used by my group of gamers and modellers for the rules we use.
I am not big on huge sculpted bases with trees and walls etc as I think it looks like figures are dragging the stuff around with them and it gets in the way of unit cohesion, but three or four little (more on bigger bases like artillery.) tufts of grass is OK. Just my thoughts on basing.

Duncan
Keeping the amount of Flower ( Elf ) Power down to negligible levels is my job.

Use what you can especially if its good cost wise. Lots of things may seem odd but really may work well.
I've remember seeing one blogger somewhere use an italian spice mix to simulate forest floor sort of look or something.
And it made his models smell good as a side effect.

If your force has a green alive scheme it just means they are in the forefront of the conquest of the outside and should be praised

tjub:

@Ducun: Cool, they look great! Haha, no idea about the drummers though… Maybe go the rout of 16th-17th warfare, if Im not mistaken they used to have drummers on the flanks of the units?

Ive got koncepts for spearmen, in a similar way with 3 ranks. More or less like classic pikemen poses. Lowered, 45 degrees and raised etc. Time will tell. :slight_smile:

Duncan:

@Ducun: Cool, they look great! Haha, no idea about the drummers though... Maybe go the rout of 16th-17th warfare, if Im not mistaken they used to have drummers on the flanks of the units?
Ive got koncepts for spearmen, in a similar way with 3 ranks. More or less like classic pikemen poses. Lowered, 45 degrees and raised etc. Time will tell. :)

tjub
Hello,

I will be pleased to see them. Looking forwards to what is to come. I am considering away to turn one or two into horn players similar to the skull mask ones but with hats instead. I would also like to have an instrument that is not traditional dwarf but have not decided what? Maybe a harp?

Admiral:

Great shape on the halberds, and ranked poses, Duncan. Also, excellent attention to detail on your artillery conversion in such a small scale! :hat off

Duncan:

The next thing I am working on is a rocket launcher. I have not quite got around to finishing it yet, but will post pictures when I have. Right now I am making some pirate ships for my clubs rules, so time is short, not enough hours in the day. But I have made the components, I just need to get it all based up and painted.

Abecedar:

Will like to see the pirate ships too.

Duncan:

Will like to see the pirate ships too.

Abecedar
Whilst I do have some Manowar sort of size ships for Dwarfs, Chaos Dwarfs and Orks the ships I am doing now are nothing to do with fantasy gaming.

We are (as a group) rewriting the 'Pieces of Eight's rules from Peter Pig which is notionally set to 1/450th scale and from the 1600 to be 1800 kind of era.

Martin from Peter Pig has put a couple of pictures on his company website and written a bit on the RFCM (Rules for the common man.) Forum we use to discuss rule and model ideas.

http://rulesforcommonman.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1239.0

Hope you can see? I did link my blog to that site as well, I hope it was OK? I am trying to get them interested in Chaos Dwarfs!

Duncan:

I have also now made a hero figure. It is not much of a conversion really, just an emblem on the hat and a cloak billowing in the wind.

Now having said I don’t like huge sculpted things on bases, this one does have a slight rise. This lifts the figure up making him look more important, at least in my opinion. In the background he has his own personal drummer dwarf to beat out his own personal ditty.

Duncan:

Uther the unhinged:

Cool commander/hero cool rockets. I am full of amazement at you guys who work so small. Great base too. Trample those flowers in your glory!