[Archive] My cheap-skate Chaos Dwarfs on a budget. (Working on new stuff)

Bolg:

@ Bassman: Thanx dude the GW model is awful indeed.

@ Uzkul Werit: wait it issnt fully painted jet.

@ Sjoerdo: I’m quite happy with the result myself, but there is always room for improvement.
And well when I started warhammer (along with a subscription to a White-dwarf that was more than a new release flyer) Jervis Jonhson did a lot of articles and its his approach to the hobby that always stuck with me I guess. I dont take life to serious, so how can I ever take a hobby like this over serious (:

@ Grimstonefire. you are so right, unfortunately I already started painting the damn thing (and found out you’re very right indeed). but I’m working around this, still have to finish 1 crew member and then I’ll show the end relsult here.

I’m very bad at keeping my focus on one thing, so here is a pic of all my 3dr edition (hob)goblin wolfriders. no mayor conversion here but the models are very old and in my possession for a long time so a lot of arms and legs need repairing with woodglue an greenstuff.

More real pic soon I promise.

Border Reiver:

Awesome centaurs - the blending of the dwarf torsos and horse bodies is excellent.

And the earthshaker looks very cool.

Bolg:

And the finished model:

The painting is pretty straightfroward, not much to tell about it. But like Grimstonefire said I should have smoothed up the front of the canon more, I could have used more greenstuff but I havent got much left so I was a bit to cheape-skate here. So I fixed the problem with a elaborate painted pattern on the front, crises evaded.
Because the fuse is pretty high on the model I put one of the crew on a small ladder (a easy conversion of popsicle stick wood).

The machine really ‘dwarfs’ all the other warmachines in my collection, quite happy about that. maybe i’ll ad a small scenic base with some huse canonballs later but there is nu rush.

I you want to copy this conversion you could also use a deo spry cap ore something similar. I might do a HellCanon this way later, it just needs an longer barrel en the spikes could go on the inside as well as the outside, just needs a little bigger frame an bigger wheels. (bit I’ll focus my army building towards the ravening hordes list so I can use it at tournaments.

so so far I have:
Characters- Tainted Dwarf Centaur Thane (100) heavy armour(4), shield(2), Greatweapon (4) 110 pnt
Rare- 9 Tainted Dwarf Centaurs(9x20), heavy armour(9x1), handweapon, shield great weapon full command(45).
234 pnt
Rare- EarthShaker Warmachine, 3 crew �?" Heavy armour. 110 Pnt.

Total 454

Time to make some more pics of the rest of the army so I can ad some core to the list.

Zanko:

Cool Earthshaker! :hat off

Really like the mini! :slight_smile:

I’m eager to see your (Hob)goblin rider painted - like these old metal minis a lot!

Sadly I have none of these guys, only 5 newer ones with plastic wolves.

:hashut

bas_2312:

This is looking great! Can’t wait to play against this army!

What are you going to use for Chaos Dwarf Warriors/Blunderbusses?

Bolg:

@ Zanko: Thanx working on the wolfriders now, should be able to finish a few this year.

@Bas_2312 for warriors a mix of 3dr edition chaos dwarfs and 3dr edition normal dwarfs, for blunderbusses I’ll just use Thunderers, I would love to sculpt their weapons a bit more but I’m not so good at geenstuff sculpting. and a friendly game should be possible somewhere at the start of 2010.

Bolg:

Working on the wolfboys, I repaired the damaged models and I gave some of them spears, they arent allowed spears but who knows what the future will bring. the gobbo arms are very thin and flimsy, the plastic gobbo arms are way to big to use on these models, luckily I had some dark elf spear/banner arms left in my bits box, they had the right sise.

they already got some paint on them but here is a proces pic of the repaired models:

and as I said, very bad at keeping my focus so Death Rocket annyone?

This is going to be a very simple conversion, had the old 3dr edition dwarf canon in my model collection and those F16 missiles are in my bits box for more than 10 years, I finaly get to use them (:

And I hear you think: “those missiles wont fit in that cannon!” But yes they will, the wing-thingies fold in, and only expand once fired.

furrie:

Nice earthshaker, cool idea to use those eggs for the barrels.

Bassman:

Fantastic heartshaker. I like it and its crew. The laddrr is a great touch.

About the death rocket: nice miniature but get rid of the rear fins of the missiles. I know that modern guns are able to fire missile with retractile fins but I think it’s too high tech to be fantasy!

Keep the front fins and get rid of the rear ones. It would look like the credwarfs stuck the missile in the cannon ready to fire!

:slight_smile:

Bolg:

Fantastic heartshaker. I like it and its crew. The laddrr is a great touch.

About the death rocket: nice miniature but get rid of the rear fins of the missiles. I know that modern guns are able to fire missile with retractile fins but I think it's too high tech to be fantasy!
Keep the front fins and get rid of the rear ones. It would look like the credwarfs stuck the missile in the cannon ready to fire!
:)

Bassman
Thanx, But I read your comment to late, I already painted the crew member.

the other missile will definitely go in the canon.

and here a bonus pic of the Earthshaker in comparison to some other warmachines.

(the boltthrower is 3dr edition came frome ebay as "spiky wheel bits" cos the bow an base where missing, I sculpted those parts out of sprue rubble, twisted wire and a goblin spear. (other people have done similar thing on this forum) The canon is the barrel of a souvenir canon thingy on a scratch build base. the only GW bits on this model is the base and the bolts on the wheels.)

tjub:

Your earthshaker is really cute! :slight_smile:

nitroglysarine:

do you secretly work on Blue Peter??

"And now children we are going to make a crossbow out of nothing more than a pile of tooth picks and a hairdryer…

Bolg:

Blue peter Rules! maybe i’ll see if they have a job opening (;

And thanx Tjub, dont think ‘cute’ is what I was going for but still (:

Thorne:

And thanx Tjub, dont think 'cute' is what I was going for but still (:

Bolg
I wouldnt have said cute I would have said pree big hat, the models your making would straigth drop into Zanko's army and not look out of place at all. darn fine if you ask me :D

Hazkar:

ohh i can see tons of cool stuff

really like the classic flair of your minis

keep up the good work

Bolg:

Here are the finished wolfboys. As I found out the unit has to be 10 strong, so I have to paint one extra so I can take the hero (the hero is already there, its the classic gigantic spider rider avoiding all discussions as if its a suitable hero model.)

Some of the wolfs aren’t GW wolfs but whit a little intimidation they are still tournament legal
(“all models must be GW models to start with”/ “the majority of the model must me GW”, and as the model comes in at least 3 parts (base, rider, wolf and all the riders + bases are GW thats at least 51% GW and yes I already had this discussion in the past)

Here is a pic of all the official chaos dwarfs that have always been in my dwarf army. I used them as unit champions and the model far right as the general until I got a converted shield-bearer.

Oh and Hazkar, I’ve been annoyed by your signature since I came to this forum, in one of the frames your monkey has 2 arms. I fixed that for you:

Bolg:

I’ve started painting these guys like 6 years ago and now I’m finally going to finish the process.
-image offline-

Zanko:

The Wolfriders are really great!

I love these old minis! Like also the paint scheme!

The old Marauder CDs are also painted very well!

Only the Orks are not mine - much too boorish!

I love the guys :wink: :

Hazkar:

thanks bolg

slaves on the way

Bolg:

The Wolfriders are really great!

I love these old minis! Like also the paint scheme!

The old Marauder CDs are also painted very well!

Only the Orks are not mine - much too boorish!

I love the guys ;) :

Zanko
Yes I know how horrible this 4dr edition models look in a 3dr edition army, I only got a few 3dr edition orcs but they dont dominate the unit. And personally I think the plastic Black orc (in pic 2nd from the right) is the worst plastic GW has ever done (I got 5 or 6).
thanks bolg
slaves on the way

Hazkar
much appreciated (:

Oh I just did a friendly game against Chaos warriors, got my but kicked big time (mainly cos I forgot the most important shooting phase). need more practice games soon (: