[Archive] My new army, from the Black Fortress

ryanamandaanna:

What are you using the Fimir as? Everything’s looking great, btw. :smiley:

Coopervisor:

What are you using the Fimir as?  Everything's looking great, btw.  :D

ryanamandaanna
Thanks. To start with they'll be used "counts as" either Bull Centaurs or K'Daai. I just love the sculpts though, so even if (when!) FW get round to releasing the BC and fireborn, I can use them as Fimir in storm of magic games.

Coopervisor:

No update on painting I’m afraid, but I did use some of my dwarfs in my first fantasy game last night. Here they are ready and waiting for their puny allies to finish getting themselves out of a cardboard box and line up properly:

It was myself with 750 pts (23 fireglaive IG, hellbound magma cannon and lvl 2 lore of metal daemonsmith) along with 750pts of dark elves (2x 16 crossbow men, 2x bolt throwers, lvl 2 dark sorceress) vs 1500 pts of dwarfs (40 horde of scouting warriors with 2 thanes, 20 long beards with bsb and 3x 5 miners).

Well we lost, although I wasn’t too disheartened as the dwarf list seemed tailored to beat a shooty list and the 3 magic phases we had produced 2, 3 and 3 power dice.

I deployed my infernal guard with the daemonsmith in the middle, with my magma cannon alongside, the dark elves then flanked me on either side with crossbow men and a bolter thrower.

The horde unit of warriors had scout, so deployed 12inch from me, used a rune which allowed him to make a move after deployment and went first, leaving him 1inch from my unit on turn 1 :(  I managed to flame 3 long beards with my magma cannon and kill a couple of warriors with shooting before the charge.

I lasted longer than I thought, reducing the warrior horde to half strength before breaking and running off the board on turn 3.

Overall i was impressed, my IG were tough and did enough damage of their own. The magma cannon was nice, except I had deployed in such a way that I only got a single shot off before it was charged by the warrior horde hitting my IG. If I had some of my own units flanking me, rather than puny emo elves, better deployment on my part and some better winds of magic I could have stood a good chance.

One question did crop up for my Chaos Dwarfs:

Can the infernal engineer rule be used when the Daemonsmith is in a unit and if so, do you measure from him or the unit for the range to the war machine?

furrie:

I don’t have the book with me, but I belief the rule says model and as such you need to measure from the model, not the unit he is in.

Vogon:

Yes the model has to be within 3" and not mounted on a monster. Other than that, away you go :slight_smile: