[Archive] My thoughts on the CD list

JMR:

I’ll just throw in my two cents here.

Like others have said, the Azgorh list seems like a themed list, purely made to fit in the Tamurkhan story. It doesn’t capture the full spirit of the Chaos Dwarves and I think I’ll just continue to use Thommy’s list instead and pick whatever units I (and my opponents) feel are fun and fair to use.

Also, I can’t help but feel that the decision to not include basic warriors in any shape or form within ForgeWorld (nor a “normal” list for that matter), was done to keep the door open for GW to revisit our beloved big hats someday. I doubt it’s gonna be soon though… I know this is contrary to what Grim said, but it’s just a gut-feeling I have.

Having said all that, I think our community will continue to perform the role it has had for the last couple of years. There will still be a high demand (maybe even higher?) for custom made models/conversions and fan-made army lists. I put just as much value in Thommy’s or the GT list as I do in the FW list… probably even more.

Let’s continue to do our thing and give the Chaos Dwarves the glory they deserve.

cornixt:

GW can easily create an entire CD army model line without duplicating any of the Forge World models (except in a ‘counts as’ way). FW have said they aren’t doing HGs, they haven’t done regular CD warriors, and there is always room for more elites and war machines, even different types of k’ddai (maybe the reason we haven’t seen any K’ddai yet is because of GW wrangling). But also, we can use our current CD army models as ‘counts as’ for most of the units, with very little confusion.

Xander:

But Grim, if Chaos Dwarfs can be included in WoC lists and WoC lists can be included in a Great Host, can they not be mixed in that way?

Transitive property ftw?

Also, which CD units (all of them?) can be included in a WoC list?

aka_mythos:

But Grim, if Chaos Dwarfs can be included in WoC lists and WoC lists can be included in a Great Host, can they not be mixed in that way?

Transitive property ftw?

Also, which CD units (all of them?) can be included in a WoC list?

Xander
If that's true, thats the most round about way to get to your army list.

KingFisher:

I am pretty unhappy that I am unable to no longer run a K’daai destroyer and a Skullcracker with hellbound.

Thommy H:

Why can’t you do that?

KingFisher:

Why can't you do that?

Thommy H
at 2500 pts you get 625pts of rares
Using the FW website values for the Iron daemon which were 265 for the train 30 for the skull cracker and 25 for hell bound. So 320 pts.

The FR GD value for the K'daai destroyer was 295 pts, apparently it is has been increased in point cost to make the 2 options together over 625 points.

Unless you can confirm the K'daai Destroyer has a different point value?

Most games around here are 2500 pts at the most so I don't see how this 1-2 punch as being viable anymore.

rabotak:

I believe Skullcracker is special (like ID), not rare.

KingFisher:

Disregard my failed stupidity test

Thommy H:

Yeah. Also, you could just play bigger games… I get slightly (only slightly) annoyed when people just take their local metagame as read when they talk about points values. How am I supposed to know that you all play 2500 pts? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Grimstonefire:

@Xander

To avoid confusion (hopefully) a direct quote:

The following Legion of Azgorh units can be taken as part of a Warriors of Chaos army using the options listed.

If you are fielding a combined force utilising the Great Host options on p142, those options take precedence and the following options should not be used:
It then goes on to list the character slots etc

So it really wouldn’t be in the spirit of the rules imo, to make a WoC army that included CD then say it was part of a great host.  It’s not explicitly written that you can’t do this, but the Legion of Azgorh is NOT listed as an ‘army’ that can be part of the great host.  Presumably because it’s not a “Warhammer Army”.

To be honest though, if someone is playing against a Great Host FW army I doubt they’ll care if there are a few CD in it.

@Thommy

No hellcannon in the list.

Ugly Green Trog:

Wait, did someone say the Hellcannon was out?

Thommy H
No Hellcannon is in just there are no rules in the book it is a rare choice at 205 pts and just says see WoC book.

Grimstonefire:

Ah yes. Spotted it now. :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

Ah good.

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Method:

Been playing CD since 96’ and my first GT balti 97.

I am VERY happy to have them 8th edition compatiable.

As a TO, I am comfortable enough with this list in include them in GT’s.

As a player, because the list isnt uber powerful, and expensive, it’s sorta nice to know they will be rare.

Good Job Warhammer Forge, I appreciate the support for the list, thanks for giving me some fun for the next 10 years! :hat off

Nicodemus:

Relief on the Hellcannon front.

What’s the story with the spells? Voice of Hatred been re-worded?

The only other spell I’ev heard of is Ash Cloud (if I’ve got the name right) makes affected targets flammable. Are there any significant differences from the Lore of hashut in the leaked list vs the final version?

~N

Grimbold Blackhammer:

From everything I’ve pieced together from the boards, and thanks to the leaked notes from a few months back, I have a fairly good idea of the contents of the book without actually having seen it.  That being said, I definitely see the holes in the book that people have mentioned but I’ve still decided I will definitely like the book.  I have fun war machines to pound my enemies into the dirt, I can field more hobgoblins than I care to even think about, dwarves that are more elite than normal dwarves sounds perfect to me, and a warrior-caster much like the vamps have sounds dangerous.  Coming from a Dark Elf & Warriors of Chaos background, I’m very much looking forward to playing an army that will be an uphill battle but still competative as a nice change.  I agree the book could have been much more but my sample lists so far have good variety and appear on paper to be very viable even with the limits the new book seems to have put into place.  And since no one has mentioned the Lore of Hashut has changed (for the worse) from the leaked notes, I’m taking it that our lore is going to be VERY good.  I can see some utterly crushing combinations out there!

I hope folks can rein in their disappointment for what they hoped for to what they now have and give the book an honest run.  To me this book looks really good despite the obvious lapses and will undoubtedly provide me with endless hours of entertainment!

Grimbold Blackhammer

Astrogothic:

Here, here!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

wallacer:

Great post, Grimbold.

Slave-worthy I feel.

lostmember:

Everyone is going to have some gripes with any ‘official’ list for the Chaos Dwarfs, due to the nature of the community. Chaos Dwarf players have been forced to be highly independent for years now and as such tend to have formulated their own ideas of how a Chaos Dwarf army should function and ‘feel’. We’re used to doing our own thing, so getting back into the habit of being told things will take a bit of getting used to. As such, I actually think the way the new list has been done is a good thing, and I’d rather it was like it is than having a ‘complete’ book put out without due consideration. The list we now have looks like a themed army, so it actually encourages the formation of new themed lists of our own.

For example: I’d want any CD army to have a good number of slave units in it. The list from FW looks like it only has any Hobbos in there because they felt it probably should, as a nod to tradition. So I’ll just create a themed list for a slave horde, which will be informed by the new Hobgoblin rules. Do you want your Chaos Dwarf army to have more of a theocratic theme? Write a Temple-themed list, again informed by the new official rules. The new FW book just provides solid foundations for us all to build our own themed lists, or even rework lists we’ve already written.

I think it’s great. Oh, and it may also bring new people to the forums and expand the ideas in the community.