[Archive] N!TR0's Fresh Mantic Blog (Update 30-5-11) - BC Changes

nitroglysarine:

I get you they look to perfect to be real.

need to ‘mess them up a bit’

gotcha.

warh:

could we get some better pictures of the guy to the left please, he look awesome:)

nitroglysarine:

Yeah, best I can do until I find where on earth my wifes camera’s ‘close image’ setting or what its called.

No idea.

He’s one of my immortals, not sure what i’m going to do with his helmet yet.

Thommy H:

Macro. The symbol for it should be a little flower.

nitroglysarine:

Macro. The symbol for it should be a little flower.

Thommy H
Yeah know the symbol, doesn't seem to have that setting anywhere in the menu system. odd (didn't know it was called macro though)

Spotted a slight problem using the mantic models. They seem to rank up ok but they are very tight to each other (not helped by my hats). They look like they would benefit from 25mm bases tbh. Anyone ever put CD's on 25mm bases??
Guess i'm just to use to modelling with humans :o

Vash:

i know that it at least used to be legal in 40K, you were allowed to use a bigger base then supplied… as it would only invite more attacks on that model.

dunno how that goes in fantasy though, especialy with the newer edition. my guess is you would have to start playing warriors of chaos then.

awesome work by the way, the low flat hat really works well with those mantic dwarfs

nitroglysarine:

Yeha i like the low hat, it keep the model short, but keep up the ‘‘girth’’ of the model.

if i was to play them locally i’d probably have to play them as ‘act as’ chaos warriors anyway.

…so not sure. i think they would look better on a 25mm base.

ohh. Mantic don’t do 25mm bases, can’t find them on their site. dang, would have to buy gw 25mm and stick them on. :~

On a side note, glued my front rank together so I now have 5 more ready to green stuff. this time i’ll aim to make tattier more segmented beards, might throw the odd metal loop in and spike.

Lets see how it goes tonight :smiley:

nitroglysarine:

Next rank of them done, so i’m upto 10 models,

the top of the hats look bear, any suggestions for a relatively flat embellishment for them?

i was thinking chaos stars or something chaosy, but sculpting may be an issue :~

Pictures to follow when I have more natural light.

Da Crusha:

I think its more a comment on the texture of the beards. Rather than having lines that go completely across each lock of beard, try making them only go part way across alternating which side of the lock of beard they start from. That seem to be standard look. The way you have them, while they look good, maybe too good in a sense.

aka_mythos
that's right usually the lines only go half way. still I think it would look better with more lines.

nitroglysarine:

the next rank do have twice the lines. picture later

nitroglysarine:

Done a bit more buying today, now got the bits to make the following:-

1 Slavemaster

15 CD’s with Great Weapons

15 CD’s with HW & Shields

18*2 CD’s with Blunderbuss’s

5 Immortals

2 Earth shakers (no crew yet bought)

1 Hell cannon

1 Kollusus Steam Engine (10 crew bought)

Nice start?

nitroglysarine:

My slaver / demonsmith - not decided yet

(sure some of you recognise the model :wink: )

Vash:

Done a bit more buying today, now got the bits to make the following:-

1       Slavemaster
15     CD's with Great Weapons
15     CD's with HW & Shields
18*2  CD's with Blunderbuss's
5       Immortals
2       Earth shakers (no crew yet bought)
1       Hell cannon
1       Kollusus Steam Engine (10 crew bought)

Nice start?

nitroglysarine
i think so, although the warrior units seem a bit small, then again... the army is in WIP offcourse.
and the hero is a good choice, but is he in scale with the rest of the mantic dwarfs... they seem a lot taller then the average GW dwarf (also, i have no idea what base model you used, so he may well be up to scale :))

nitroglysarine:

Oddly, the model is band on the same height to the rest of them (was surprised by that tbh)

Will pop a few more pictures up.

The units will grow to 20 or 25 models soon - just would like to make a few smaller ones to get the hang of ranking the spinny bases up - is a little odd.

nitroglysarine:

Some more pictures:-

The ongoing project (edited to remove w.i.p for GH13)

Blunderbusses - think they need to be bigger tbh

Warriors with HW and Shields

Size comparison - in fact i think the slaver is taller than the normal rank and file.
-sorry about the focus (was only done for height comparison)

tjub:

Looks great, but it seems to me like some of the models in the first batch have a dubbel jaw/lip?

Vash:

looks really good, the character is indeed the right heigth for the rank and file models.

i can also see your concern about the size of the bases beeing quite small… they do seem to stand really close to eachother (even with the small gaps between the bases in the photo)

and lol for editing the entry out of the first picture… i first thought you had a cousin IT mini planned for that spot:P

nitroglysarine:

Looks great, but it seems to me like some of the models in the first batch have a dubbel jaw/lip?

tjub
Sort of, the jaws have been enlarged, a couple of jaws have been left as the gum of the low lip, should sort itself out in the painting process - I hope.
Which one did you mean.

Also do you like my evolution of your idea? :D

nitroglysarine:

@Tjub, Ahhh, i see the one, second in from the left.
yeah that is his bottom lip between his beard and his bigger bottom lip.
It was intended to be the bottom of his top lip - to show the enlarged size of the lips.
hmmm, might remove it on hindsight.

tjub:

@Tjub, Ahhh, i see the one, second in from the left.
yeah that is his bottom lip between his beard and his bigger bottom lip.
It was intended to be the bottom of his top lip - to show the enlarged size of the lips.
hmmm, might remove it on hindsight.

nitroglysarine
...or you could paint it as his tounge! :P