[Archive] New Avatar of War Demon Champion available!

Zanko:

I just found that the new AoW Demon Champion is available!

Imo it’s a quite cool miniature but for my liking it’s not innovative/extraordinary enough -
the pose and the painting of the model looks too much like an ordinary GW Demon! :~

:hashut

Nicodemus:

:o :o Wow.

Just wow. I haven’t ordered a single AoW model yet, but I know when I finally do I’ll be ordering one of several of the different models. This one just got added to my mental list!

~N

Shakhorth:

OMG, coolest looking daemon ever! :o

Ordered a couple of AoW models awhile back and the detail is just fantastic!

Guess I’ll be placing a new order soon. :slight_smile:

Fallen246:

What’s the size?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Baggronor:

Well, it says 25mm base so I assume he’s like an Orc Warboss kinda size.

AGPO:

That guy will make a great herald for 4th or 6th edition bloodletters.

Loki:

He is one very cool looking daemon great find :slight_smile:

elrodogg:

I actually don’t care for AoW models much. I prefer heroic scale. Certain body parts, like the hands and wrists end up looking puny.

Thommy H:

There’s an alternative version available too:

AGPO:

@ Thommy - could you possibly be hinting that maybe AoW is being secretly plugged as alternatives to GW models, rather than just for their own game?!?! :wink:

Swissdictator:

Not having that cloak might make it a bit easier to rank up.

Though does anyone else find the “Optional Tail” blurb and image to be hilarious?

Thommy H:

@ Thommy - could you possibly be hinting that maybe AoW is being secretly plugged as alternatives to GW models, rather than just for their own game?!?! ;)

AGPO
No, I'm hinting that it's exactly the same model.

Grimstonefire:

This imo is the worst posed of any of the AoW range so far. Very well sculpted, but very poorly posed.

snowblizz:

This imo is the worst posed of any of the AoW range so far.  Very well sculpted, but very poorly posed.

Grimstonefire
I agree, the pose is a bit, je ne sais quoi. In an opposite kind of way.

AGPO:

Thommy - I’d say there was far less similarity between this and skulltaker than say, Grimgor and the Orc Warlord or the dawrf berzerker and GWs slayers

Thommy H:

Sure, but Dwarfs and Orcs are a lot more universal. There are a thousand different interpretations of “Demon Champion”, and it’s telling that he’s going with the exact same one that GW did. Notice he even uses the word “Daemon” rather than “Demon”. I get what Avatars of War is all about - hey, I have one of their models as my avatar and recently bought the Beastlord figure for my fiancée - but, for my money, this is their most transparent copy of a GW model. Why do we need two Skulltakers? Someone already did this model. Do something different. Even within the narrow design brief that AoW have convinced themselves is the only way to make a profit, there are other, more interesting interpretations. Instead we’re stuck with an absolute rehash in every conceivable way. What was the point?

Baggronor:

Even within the narrow design brief that AoW have convinced themselves is the only way to make a profit, there are other, more interesting interpretations. Instead we're stuck with an absolute rehash in every conceivable way. What was the point?
The presence of plenty of other companies that make their own designs shows that aping GW is not the only viable way; its a shame as AoW have some serious talent. I actually like this one more than the Skulltaker model, but it is soooooooo similar.

AGPO:

Why do we need two Skulltakers? Someone already did this model. Do something different. Even within the narrow design brief that AoW have convinced themselves is the only way to make a profit, there are other, more interesting interpretations. Instead we're stuck with an absolute rehash in every conceivable way. What was the point?

Thommy H
Well for my money, the intended market is as a generic Herald of Khorne, for which there is no model other than the one which comes with the FW Daemon Prince. Both a HoK and Skulltaker are pretty common choices in a DoC army, and bearing in mind that both are basically just beefed up bloodletters, they would kinda look alike.

As for why they do it, although as you say making GW facimiles is not the only way to make a profit, its a pretty sensible one. Lots of gamers would have no interest in buying some guy's random sculpts of heroes, but really crave cool character models for the WFB armies. Felix's work appeals, and if I need another Khorne herald (I already have the FW model and the 4th ed 'letter champion) then this guy will probably get called up.

Joshmohr:

Meh, im not a big fan of it. I’d have to paint one myself, to really appreciate it.

Thorne:

The same model its skull taker !

- Awfull posed of the AoW range

- Identical number horns.

- Identical placing of horns.

- The same lame facial expression.

- The same anatomy

- the same feet!

- The same kind of gauntlets

- Of course lots fo Skull’s

- Very well sculpted, but very poorly posed.