[Archive] new Avatars of War Skaven figure

wallacer:

Thommy H:

Why bother?

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Admiral:

It’s a good model, although the photography doesn’t reveal much. If GW’s lawyers don’t go headhunting for AoW now, they’ll probably never do.

wallacer:

Why bother?

Thommy H
Because it looks great.

Thommy H:

It looks fine. But no better or worse than an actual GW Skaven. I just don’t see what the point is. Why not sculpt something that isn’t already represented by an entire range of figures by the largest wargames manufacturer in the world?

wallacer:

Because it wouldn’t sell as well? GW have such a stranglehold on Fantasy wargaming that designing figures that are at least vaguely compatible with Warhammer is almost a marketing necessity.

I’ll be getting one. So will a lot of other Skaven players. That is the point.

Not very original perhaps, but a sensible choice for a company wanting to sell miniatures.

Veshnakar:

I think it looks phenomenal!

Grimstonefire:

Foot looks too big to me.  This will be cast in metal as well, which already makes it better than all the GW warlords! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Some of which are looking dated already.

clam:

Why bother?

Thommy H
Couldn't have said it better myself :D

tjub:

IMO it looks good as an alternative lord model, but nothing special about it.

Hashut’s Blessing:

It’s done well (although the pictures makes the greenstuff work look a little… for lack of a better word, dirty), but it’s not anything particularly new in regards to design. I think it’s just playing it safe, to be honest, but it’s not bad.

vulcanologist:

I like it. I agree it’s nothing new but its done well and adds another option to any existing skaven players army. If it was radically different I’m sure there would be cries of what’s the point and how will that fit in my army.

Vogon:

The weapon in the raised right hand looks awfully familiar to me from a GW miniature, possibly the chaos knight plastics?

On the whole it looks Ok to me but I’m not (and never have been) a skaven fan.

It does look like he’s sailing a little close to the wind with GW IP though.

Cheers

Vogon

Baggronor:

An odd choice considering Skaven are GW’s only real original fantasy army - taunting GW legal doesn’t seem like a good idea…

An odder choice when you consider the existing GW minis for Skaven characters - some of the best they have ever done. This new AoW one is a nice sculpt, as usual, but it looks pretty pedestrian next to the current Queek Headtaker/Ikit Claw/Deathmaster Snikch.

Suppose he’d be ok as a Chieftain though.

Because it wouldn’t sell as well? GW have such a stranglehold on Fantasy wargaming that designing figures that are at least vaguely compatible with Warhammer is almost a marketing necessity.
True to a large extent, sadly. However, not producing anything that is definitively your own also means you will always just be an advertising device for GW - you’re helping to sell their products as well as yours. Which is fine too, because GW doing well = the industry doing well… but you’ll always be reliant on them and will never outgrow their shadow. This is why I have more respect for PP and Rackham - they made their own instantly recognisable IPs. I do feel Felix is kinda wasted on just doing GW ‘alternates’, hope he branches out more in the future.

Admiral:

@Baggronor: I believe that we might see some original works from Paniagua in the future. The new maps and background hint at it.

snowblizz:

The weapon in the raised right hand looks awfully familiar to me from a GW miniature, possibly the chaos knight plastics?

Vogon
Pretty standard Skaven weapon I think. Queek has something very similar.

I like the look of that a lot, GW's new Skaven characters don't impress me at all. Queek and Snitch are good which is pretty much a moot point, they might as well not exist. The other's are just yuck.

Unbridled creativity? I blame the following on that:

Thommy H:

What Baggronor said.

See, it might sell a million copies to Skaven players, but I can only judge a thing on merit. If you judge things based on popularity, where does it end? By that logic, X-Factor is the greatest TV show ever made when we all know, empirically, that it is very much not (indeed, I fully expect it to be used as evidence in favour of our extermination when humanity is put on trial by an advanced alien race).

So maybe it’s a really smart marketing move, and maybe Avatars of War are geniuses, but to me it’s just a massive waste of talent.

Baggronor:

Please don't post that thing. It offends my eyes. Doubly so because the sculpting is good. And yes, its the result of unbridled creativity, but I don't imagine it caught on. I mean, just imagine what a painted one would look like. Jeez. :sick
Queek and Snitch are good which is pretty much a moot point, they might as well not exist.
Nonsense, Snikch makes a great skaven assas... oh yeah, I see what you mean ;P

Queek does make a great warlord though. I have him on the back of an old metal Rat Ogre, looks awesome.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Vogon
Closest is a beastman gor weapon.

Like has been said to death - it's just a little dull. But, it seems a bit dangerous to make a ratman model (especially that fits so well with Skaven) and call it a verminlord, hen it is a GW-created race (for the most part).

Bolg:

Please don't post that thing. It offends my eyes. Doubly so because the sculpting is good. And yes, its the result of unbridled creativity, but I don't imagine it caught on. I mean, just imagine what a painted one would look like. Jeez. :sick

Baggronor
Lets all chip in and buy one for Blue if he promises to paint it d:
(to get a theme of wasting talent going)