[Archive] New Chaos Dwarf Convert

hat fanatic:

Well recently i had no idea about chaos dwarfs as I was collecting Orcs and Goblins. And then… i saw them on eBay by accident and fell in love.

recently i bought the army book which is going to come soon off of an eBay store for 20 pounds as I’m Australian with postage it cost me a whopping $57 i know a bit pricey but i thought I had to have it as I like all the background and stuff that are in these books.

So i need to start out an army of my own but i need to know how i can buy some things without having to buy them from the stores so i am not broke withing the week. Also I’m not a big fan of converting complete figures. I want to start out with some basic warriors without paying 20 pounds for just 8.

Willmark:

First off welcome.

Second Chaos Dwarfs are not for the faint of heart, either monetarily or in terms of consumption of time. Being a chaos dwarf player will consume both at an alarming rate. Even more so if you are a “hatter” as eBay or “vultureBay” as it is called by some around here (coined by me) is the only way to get them and pricing on auctions is ridiculous at the current time.

Even though you may not want to hear it converting is most likely going to be the only way to go, especially in light of most likely needing to spend a small fortune on big hat models. If you spend a greta deal of time looking for auctions you might luck out, though this is unlikely; there is a great deal of scrutiny on chaos dwarfs on eBay.

That said check out iamahobgoblins webstore, hes a member here and is endeavoring to lower prices on chaos dwarf army figures.

AGPO:

There are some great conversion articles. The compiled conversions section was a real help to me when I first joined, though its bloated a bit since then

Pyro Stick:

Xander (site admin) has some videos on youtube about how to convert BFSP Dwarfs and Goblins into Chaos Dwarfs and Hobgoblins. It might be worth a look. You could also ask for things in the market thread. Just make a thread titles ‘Looking for everything’ or something like that. What ebay store did you buy your book from? If you decide to buy from ebay stores again stay away from the essex girl or She who should not be named as we like to call her here (SWSNBN for short)

AGPO:

I’ve never heard o this person but I shall consider myself warned, I take it she overcharges grossly

Willmark:

You have never heard of her? You have been on this site for a while right? :wink: SWSNBN is the name I coined for “essexgirl”.

Pyro Stick:

You have never heard of her? You have been on this site for a while right? ;) SWSNBN is the name I coined for "essexgirl".

Willmark
Its obvious that he was joking.....right?

Kera foehunter:

well welcome to the site. Hat Fanatic.

Pyro Stick:

(@Hat Fanatic:Change your creed to hats now!)

Willmark:

You have never heard of her? You have been on this site for a while right? ;) SWSNBN is the name I coined for "essexgirl".

Willmark

Pyro Stick
This is the Internet.... never assume anything.

Canix:

Hi and welcome to the site if you are going to collect off ebay just be patient you can win items at a good price particularly if you win items that have uk day/nighttime endings or have been listed incorrectly .You just need to spend time looking and set your price �2per metal tallhat cd max,commands and heros try and win with others it will be alot cheaper.Evening and weekend items tend to be pricier.

Hobgoblins on the other hand can be alot more because they come up less often .I have seen large lots of them go for �2 inc commands before earlier this year tho.

I had a small collection of bighats earlier this year now i have many ,mainly bought of of ebay and for these prices.Groups of models tend to be cheaper also

Taurus �15

Lammasu �13

Sorc �9

Metal cd �3 each

Plasticcd �2 each

Hobgoblin archers �1.5 ea

Hobgoblin axemen or comm �3 ea

Death rocket �7

Earthshaker �17

Hobgoblin wolfboy �3

Bull centaurs�5 each

Patience is a valuable virtue;)

Good luck with the hunt:hat

X-Porter:

Hiya, Hat Fan.

Yeah, you can still find some good deals on eBay if you keep your eyes peeled although the aforementioned Essexgirl does tend to gouge, also I find WarhammerCrazy’s prices to be a bit…well crazy.

Keep in mind that some of the models are still available from the GW online store, Blunderbusses and Bull Centaurs in particular. Take their prices as a guideline, if you can get them for less on eBay, great. Otherwise there’s no point in paying more than what it costs to get them from the source.

The Chaos Dwarf Bloodbowl models are still widely available, too. They make a decent starting point for hero conversions, etc.

Good hunting!

Xander:

Cheers and welcome! You will find this community is bustling with fellow enthusiasts of the Chaos Dwarf army. Some great places to start are the Compilation threads int he hobby section. They are stickied to the top of the sections and have links to tons of great pictures! DOn’t forget to also check out the main site: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com

Welcome!

hat fanatic:

thanks very much for the welcome

yeah i did not buy from essex girl because i have been skulking around the forums for a few days and heard about her. I bought it from warhammer-crazy although there prices are almost equal.

Yes i did look at the guides and they are great xander very well done. but i am shocking at converting and just love the big hats more than masks so eBay for me.

Kyte:

Even though you might like the look of my general, I don’t find it very good, that you used my avatar without permission.

Thanks

- Kyte

Pyro Stick:

Even though you might like the look of my general, I don't find it very good, that you used my avatar without permission.

Kyte
....Who are you talking to?

Warhammercrazy isn't as bad a SWSNBN but you should still stay from him. If you are going to buy from an ebay shop use iamahobgoblins. he is cheapest but he doesnt have all of the range yet as he hasnt been at it long. Its best just to bid on lots that have loads of models in it.

Tallhat:

Hi and Welcome. Always glad to welcome another hatter into Lord Hashuts fold of Big hats :slight_smile:

- Tallhat

Hammerhand:

If you want to get some cheap, it takes hard work and a little luck.

A lot of people sell this stuff without knowing what it is, so if you’re prepared to go through the listings, you will sometimes find Chaos Dwarfs listed in the dwarf section as just dwarfs, and Hobgoblins are (understandably) listed under the Orc and Goblin section as Goblins. Now Dwarf and O&G players don’t want these figures so they tend to go for a lot cheaper than what SWSNBN sells them for. It will take you a lot longer to get all the ones you need though.

Which reminds me, has anyone bought anything from a seller called beau_piddly? I’ve had a couple of things. Either they had a stupidly large CD army or they are continually churning out re-casts, I suspect the latter. Their items are always undercoated (even underneath the base so you can’t see the original colour of the metal), and the cast quality is let down in a couple of small places (especially on the multi part models like BC’s where the fit isn’t right and has been hidden with GS filler. Apparently the BC standard bearer is one of the hardest to get hold of and I’ve noticed they’ve sold quite a few, and I haven’t been looking that much! They are good standard re-casts but it’s upsetting to think they are being sold as originals at the original inflated price.

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before.

AGPO:

Willmark

Pyro Stick
I was indeed :hat off
This is the Internet.... never assume anything.

Willmark

Kyte:

thanks for removing the ava’ If you post a picture of one of your own models, I’m sure Xander will make an avatar for you.

Thanks

- Kyte