[Archive] New demons

Kharnak:

Got two guys in our area who play Daemons,

One since 2004 and “Storm of Chaos” list, the other started last year before the new book came out. Both are accomplished players, both make me work! A big horde of Daemons just never seems to go away, you gotta get started early to whittle that thing down. Plus there’s lots of little attention grabbers that can divert that attention towards them and away from the big 40+ combat block. They’re fast and fragile, remind me a lot of Elvi.

Warriors seem tougher, army wise, but they’re so darn expensive though!!! Their “unkilleable” Lord combos, seems like I see a new one every week!!!

AGPO:

As an old school chaos player this book is the best thing that could happen to Daemons IMO. 7th edition drew a load of gamist power players who were obsessed with meta and ignored narrative. Now those same players are saying they can’t play with daemons because of the random elements or because certain overpowered units have been “nerfed” and they’re going to have to stop playing the army. Good.

If any army needs a random chaotic element it’s Daemons. This book still has nothing on the Realm of Chaos books on that front. As someone who thinks that the story and having a good time are more important than winning, I’m really looking forward to being able to play an army I’ve collected since 4th ed without being tarred with the power gamer brush again. The winds of magic table, Daemon of X and lore attributes are all very appropriate considering the background, and the randomness of the gifts is a good RoC throwback. I also love that Blue Horrors are properly represented again. The only things that really dissapoint me are the loss of Master of Sorcery and the weakening of Horror magic. Tzeentch should be all about the magic as far as I’m concerned. Flamers are nowhere near as good any more but I like them so they stay in the army.

It’s amazing how many of the people who complained about mixed God armies when 7th ed came out are now bemoaning how the new edition has shafted them. For my money it’s great - the Chaos Gods have never gotten on and their sibling rivalry is what has stopped them conquoring the world.