[Archive] New GW scenery

wallacer:

This is what happens when you hire dodgy builders:

Parish:

Not fan of skulls and paint but nice atmosphere in perspective !

Thommy H:

That’s…um…yeah.

It doesn’t really work does it? I don’t mean architecturally, but as a composition. It’s inelegant and looks like a kitbash.

Admiral:

Now that is an excellent terrain model. Isn’t it based on something from the Warhammer Online sketchbook? It looks familiar, especially the cobbled-together touch that all Empire buildings had. It might be the best terrain kit released so far by GW, with that paint job it seem to rival even Tabletop World’s better stuff: http://www.tabletop-world.com/

GW is getting good at terrain kits. I hope they continue to sell well, because more kits like this, the Garden of Morr and so on will be sweet. I guess their smartest next move would be some Elf terrain, because Elven buildings are supposed to be nimble and elegant, and as such difficult to make by yourself when compared to medieval or Greenskin houses.

Time of Madness:

I’ve been liking the terrain they have been coming out with. Looks like you could use this as two different pieces of terrain.

Time of Madness

Admiral:

I've been liking the terrain they have been coming out with. Looks like you could use this as two different pieces of terrain.
Time of Madness

Time of Madness
Precisely. The compact observatory on its own seem well suited to most tabletops.

Parish:

That's...um...yeah.

It doesn't really work does it? I don't mean architecturally, but as a composition. It's inelegant and looks like a kitbash.

Thommy H
Don't know what kitbash means , but if we get ride off the rocks, skulls , there is a way to do something nice with it !

Even if it would seem weird with that big oberver springing from nowhere (it's maybe too huge ), it's fantasy , so be imaginative ^^" .

Hope I'm "understandable" :s !

Time of Madness:

The more I look at it the more I like it. I’d remove the observatory section and just use the tower section as a watchtower or wizard tower.

Time of Madness

GRNDL:

Its a shame that they didn’t put the whole thing on a massive skull… Or a pile of skulls. Ah well, opportunity lost. :slight_smile:

Thommy H:

A kitbash is a model built from parts of different kits. Like sticking a Bretonnian head on an Empire Flaggelant body to make a Grail Pilgrim. Or sticking a house and a tower haphazardly onto a rock to make…whatever this thing is.

Baggronor:

I’m gonna buy it and make it into 3 different buildings :slight_smile:

Nicodemus:

I'm gonna buy it and make it into 3 different buildings :)

Baggronor
Yes, I think as a source of bitz it'll be a great purchase, but not to make what's shown in the picture x.x

zobo1942:

This building may encourage people to play warhammer with dry ice ‘fog’… Neat building, anyway. I like the stone ‘wharf’ in the front.

Also, you might be able to use that ‘dome’ to make some kind of gigantic armoured carapace.

G.2:

I can see where they were going with this. It fits in with GW’s “style”, I don’t mind it, except for those silly skulls. Why does everything that comes from GW have to be adorned with skulls.

Sarcasism mode on: Maybe GW is trying to make the human skull part of their IP. Sarcasim mode off.

inkpwn:

Don’t like the skulls and the thing looks a tad, well, improbable. I would be tempted to buy it just for the observatory though.

Bolg:

GW really over did it whit the skulls this time… (or again)

Hashut’s Blessing:

I think it’s done well (even if it feels unworking - in the vain of doesn’t look right), but I don;t get their angle. The point of their terrain is that it can be seen on any gameboard and fit in (for the most part, anyway). This doesn’t fit that marker in the slightest - would look great in a specific scenario or when Chad Mierzwa has made a story on a gameboard, but as is seems bizarre. As said, it’s got good parts to use elsewhere (the observatory is totally becoming a cannon - actually what i thought it was at first. Look at The Empire Strikes Back’s Ion cannon :wink: ), but doesn’t function in the intended build.

A good tower (if stupidly thin), a good turret (for the upper half of a tower), a decent rock spire (with yet another grim reaper in the side - would rather it were more skulls. That image doesn’t work as a Warhammer symbol for me. Only for Vampire Counts, not every Tom, Dick, Harry and the Empire), a goodl observatory/cannon.

I’m interested as to how much it’ll set people back - I reckon it’ll be a piece that’s too expensive to bother considering (in the same way as Withfate Tor was for me).

Nicodemus:

A good tower (if stupidly thin)

Hashut's Blessing
I was looking at the pic and thinking to just have it as a portion of the side of a building that's protruding from a cliff face or other rocky outcrop. Then you can iamgine that the inside of the building goes much further back :P
I'm interested as to how much it'll set people back - I reckon it'll be a piece that's too expensive to bother considering (in the same way as Withfate Tor was for me).

Hashut's Blessing
This has been my guess for the price point on this one too... it'll take some consideration to buy. Then again, Hoard_*_Bitz on eBay will likely be selling off any of the individual parts you may want at a decent price ;) Aracne fulcrum bitz from him are still reasonable.

fonejaker:

OH… games workshop and your skull fetishes

Zanko:

Imo it’s quite stange and “unlogical” building!

Why are there a brigde and stairs directly nearby - I see no sense in this construction!

The skulls at the observatory are also a bit “too much” and the cool looking tower is too thin!

I wouldn’t buy it cause there are many other producers who create much better looking models!

:hashut