I find this lack of FAQ disturbing

BABIS
+1

Fuggit Khan:

I find this lack of FAQ disturbing

BABIS
LOL...so said Darth Vader at the GW conference table :cheers

Skink:

Ah, one more thing, is GW’s blog still online? I can’t find it.

EDIT: nevermind found it :).

Billy Ocean:

As I said - FAQs will be up soon, no need to panic!

Zanko:

As I said - FAQs will be up soon, no need to panic!

Billy Ocean
Who is panicing? It`s only the GW website ... nothing really important! :D

:hashut

Geist:

Panic now dammit I demand mass hysteria and panicking everywhere NOW.

Admiral:

Let’s wait at least five years for FAQs before panicking. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Roark:

There are some clowns on other prominent forums who are quite seriously suggesting that, while the FAQs are officially unpublished, everyone is in a state of total barbarism and chaos, and that “published RAW” applies.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Six months or a year from now* when FAQs still aren’t up, what do you propose Roark? When someone uses a Power Scroll in game, is it fair to tell them that there used to be an FAQ that totally changed the item so it doesn’t do what they bought it for even though he’s never heard of such a thing?

* don’t worry! GW said a lack of FAQs is only ‘temporary’.

Roark:

Yeah, in that hypothetical situation (which, as you’ve noted, we won’t have to worry about) stuff would have to be discussed before each game, it would potentially be a major inconvenience, and the community would have to step up repeatedly.

The alternative, however, of “pretending” that none of those errata or FAQs ever happened just because they weren’t electronically hosted by GW at that time, and reverting to a highly broken system and busted armies… is too absurd for me to contemplate. :wink:

Wolf :

I wonder if they are going to do the same as what they did with the Tyranid codex. They released the codex and then I think within two months released a digital update which cost, I think about £6.

So GW might have released with this been such a cheap hobby and all, and the fact that they don’t make money out of correcting their mistakes to charge for the FAQ’s as a update. On the flip side this would be great as well as it would give opportunity to add additional models and or FAQ’s written properly and thought out.

Servius:

Honestly, I remember the days when FAQ werent even considered unless the book had been in print for over a year or more… But then that was when their writers actually used unbiased playtesting and considered the prevailing power level when writing them in the first place as opposed to the current idea.

torn:

I have just been having a browse through the new site and there is one thing that really disturbs me. The way the plastic kits are all becoming dual kits. You are essentially paying for 2 kits but can only finish one. Looking through the high elves and dark elves, it seems you will end up with very full bits boxes if you decide to play either of these armies. In my opinion £30 for 10 plastic figures is insane whatever the options.

And the books, a 64 page book for£25, its nuts. Games workshop make some really good stuff but I can’t see how anyone without a full time job could afford to get into it these days. Looks like they are moving away from there main target market.

Servius:

I have just been having a browse through the new site and there is one thing that really disturbs me. The way the plastic kits are all becoming dual kits. You are essentially paying for 2 kits but can only finish one. Looking through the high elves and dark elves, it seems you will end up with very full bits boxes if you decide to play either of these armies. In my opinion £30 for 10 plastic figures is insane whatever the options.

And the books, a 64 page book for£25, its nuts. Games workshop make some really good stuff but I can't see how anyone without a full time job could afford to get into it these days. Looks like they are moving away from there main target market.

torn
Well, their Target market are kids with rich parents and college grads that are also rich...

The issue is that they are way to optimistic about getting said targets with no advertisement... they just expect to get that because their product is good... GW is finally seeing how stupid they have been.. they breeded an environment the last 5 years that allowed companies like Mantic and Privateer Press gain a foothold in the environment..

But back to the original topic not wishing to hijack the thread...

I really dont think that their new site is actually designed to help the hobbist, or the Player... Only the customer.. this is appearant with EVERY PAGE having a minimum of 6 "Add to Cart" buttons.. its just a sales site... Expect to see FAQ printed in the Monthly Release of White Dwarfs... At least then people may actually start buying their lousy magazine again..

Bitterman:

Expect to see FAQ printed in the Monthly Release of White Dwarfs... At least then people may actually start buying their lousy magazine again..

Servius
There is no monthly White Dwarf any more.

There is a monthly Warhammer: Visions, which only has pictures (no words). There is also a weekly White Dwarf, only available in GW stores.

Neither seem like good candidates to host FAQs/errata, the first because FAQs/errata are nothing but words, and the second because most people don't (or in many cases, can't) visit a GW shop every week just on the off-chance the new magazine has a FAQ they're interest in, in it.

When it comes to FAQs/errata... it's really going to be either the website, or nothing.

thewizardofoz:

And the books, a 64 page book for£25, its nuts. Games workshop make some really good stuff but I can't see how anyone without a full time job could afford to get into it these days. Looks like they are moving away from there main target market.

torn
Highly illegal I know before anyone points it out, but there is a bloke down at our club who sells his photocopied handmade army books for £10. Basically, all the army rules, unit rules and special abilities, magic items etc and the army list in an easy to use book full of plastic wallets. Ok you don't get the narrative stories and fluff but you get everything you need for £10. I thought at first that he had just cottoned on to a good market and wanted to make money but apparently it stems from the fact that he is a secondary school (high school) teacher and was finding that his kids at the school club were saving up for months to buy the rule book before they even had any of the models.

Illegal, yes but modern day Robin Hood.

Bitterman:

Ah yes, Robin Hood, the famous hero of legend, who would steal from the rich and sell to the poor.

Wait, that’s not right.

If this teacher was really trying to do the kids a favour out of the kindness of his heart, wouldn’t he just give the photocopied versions away? It doesn’t cost anything close to £10 to photocopy 30 or so pages of rules from a Codex or Army Book… maybe £3, and as a teacher he can probably get it done for free using the school photocopier. Charging a tenner for the result is as much daylight robbery as GW’s own prices.

thewizardofoz:

torn
Highly illegal I know before anyone points it out, but there is a bloke down at our club who sells his photocopied handmade army books for £10. Basically, all the army rules, unit rules and special abilities, magic items etc and the army list in an easy to use book full of plastic wallets. Ok you don't get the narrative stories and fluff but you get everything you need for £10. I thought at first that he had just cottoned on to a good market and wanted to make money but apparently it stems from the fact that he is a secondary school (high school) teacher and was finding that his kids at the school club were saving up for months to buy the rule book before they even had any of the models.

Illegal, yes but modern day Robin Hood.

thewizardofoz
:o OMFG! Don't tell that in public or some guys (including myself) are pissed off. Come on! You can't do that! You know it's stealing. This has nothing to do with Robin Hood fairytales.
The need for for food can't be compared with the need for hobby gaming or whatsoever.

Herby
Hey not me, just saying what somebody does. Once again, not me!

torn:

To be fair no matter what the laws are there is nobody going to be able to stop you photocopying a book you own. I do agree a tenner seems a lot but depending on whether he is using his own scanner/printer etc its not impossible he is just covering costs. For all we know it may be a very nicely put together copy.

If army books cost what they do now 20 years ago it would be very unlikely I would have gotten into this hobby. Then again there are now so many other systems out there. A good example is bolt action, I have never paid more than £7 for an army book and that is brand new from proper online stores.

Please bear in mind I am not supporting illegal activities. I make enough money now my hobby budget is easily covered and I can buy what I want. All I am saying is that I can sympathise with those who have low or no income.

At the end of the day if gw were priced competitively the stores would be full instead of empty, illegal PDF downloads of all the books would be rare and recasting of forge world stuff wouldn’t be worth it.