[Archive] New GW Website

Admiral:

Agreed, torn, except for the part on recasts of FW stuff. I may be wrong, but considering FW’s comparatively stable prices through the years I guess their boutique style won’t allow for much lower prices if they’re to make a profit out of it. If I remember correctly other high-detail resin casters like Raging Heroes also have high prices almost on FW’s level.

thewizardofoz:

To be fair no matter what the laws are there is nobody going to be able to stop you photocopying a book you own. I do agree a tenner seems a lot but depending on whether he is using his own scanner/printer etc its not impossible he is just covering costs. For all we know it may be a very nicely put together copy.

If army books cost what they do now 20 years ago it would be very unlikely I would have gotten into this hobby. Then again there are now so many other systems out there. A good example is bolt action, I have never paid more than £7 for an army book and that is brand new from proper online stores.

Please bear in mind I am not supporting illegal activities. I make enough money now my hobby budget is easily covered and I can buy what I want. All I am saying is that I can sympathise with those who have low or no income.

At the end of the day if gw were priced competitively the stores would be full instead of empty, illegal PDF downloads of all the books would be rare and recasting of forge world stuff wouldn't be worth it.

torn
Yeah I am with you here, I am not endorsing the behaviour but I agree with him. Because of what he is doing, the kids (kids from a very economically challenged area) are able to get into a hobby that is becoming a very 'rich boys' hobby as a colleague at work puts it. I earn good money and able to budget hobby money into my wages each month but ridiculous pricing shouldn't stop everyone from taking part. Its like a couple of the kids at my school (only primary) are into it and we went for a trip to Warhammer world. This one lad had saved and saved and saved and was really excited as he could finally buy some spray paint to undercoat his models. How wrong is that. In the end I undercoated them for him and he spent the money on a character.

From what I have seen, the copies are nicely put together and apparently the copies are done at the schools photocopying/binding expense and the money they get goes into funding the club with more paints etc so really it is the perfect situation. I would do similar but as my kids are only just starting out, we just use out of date rule books - its not like they are playing tournies or anything yet.

torn:

Agreed, torn, except for the part on recasts of FW stuff. I may be wrong, but considering FW's comparatively stable prices through the years I guess their boutique style won't allow for much lower prices if they're to make a profit out of it. If I remember correctly other high-detail resin casters like Raging Heroes also have high prices almost on FW's level.

Admiral
I find most historical miniatures done in resin are as good as forgewold and half the price, but, there is making a profit and making a profit. If recasters can sell the stuff for 40% I can presume forgeworlds only other costs are sculptors and advertising.

edit: surely avatars of war dwarf thunder warriors are comparible, twice as many guys and £10 cheaper.

Wolf :

Well the FAQ’s are back and on the Black Library website link below

http://www.blacklibrary.com/faqs-and-errata.html

Dînadan:

Why are they on the BL site? That seems like an unnecessary complication. Who would think to look on a site dedicated to selling novels for articles on game play mechanics? O.o

Wolf :

Black Library are getting all the ebook, warhammer rule book and all the army books. So BL has turned to be the one stop shop of GW digital.

snowblizz:

Who would think to look on a site dedicated to selling novels for articles on game play mechanics? O.o

Dînadan
The tiny inconsiderate minority that keeps insisting on this weird "quality of rules" thing instead of just sending GW money every week for the new stuff, no questions asked.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Playing Devil’s Advocate, I doubt very many people would ever be able to find the FAQs if they’re not on the actual Games Workshop site. It’s good that the Black Library has posted copies of the old FAQs on their webpage but so does druchii.net and a bunch of other sites. I’ve not heard anything official at this point so I’m assuming the Black Library is being nice and doing us a favor and not that this is the new home of all things FAQish.

Admiral:

I would never assume the novel-selling branch Black Library to handle game FAQs. Admittedly BL have shouldered rules sales in the past year. I hope GW will keep FAQs updated and available on their website in the future. It’s better if everything concerned with GW’s rules is easily and crystal-clearly available in a central place, i.e. their website. That’s what you’d expect and that’s what one have grown to expect in the past.

I also don’t understand what sending GW money every week for new stuff without asking questions would have to do with finding FAQs. Dissatisfaction with GW’s price policy, scuppering of old great models, substandard WD since many years and the like have alienated me somewhat to them (have told them in E-mails about it for the sake of old loyalties), and my hobby expenditure now goes chiefly to other producers than GW. Yet I also expect to find FAQs on their website.

Still, it’s a nice service on the part of Black Library.

Dînadan:

Who would think to look on a site dedicated to selling novels for articles on game play mechanics? O.o

Dînadan
The tiny inconsiderate minority that keeps insisting on this weird "quality of rules" thing instead of just sending GW money every week for the new stuff, no questions asked.

snowblizz
Not meaning to be rude, but you're talking utter b*****ks. Black Library, while a division of GW, are responsible for the production and sale of novels, not rules. The quality of the rules have nothing to do with BL. In fact, if anything, hiding them away on the BL site rather than having them on the main site is giving a middle finger to those who care about quality rules because it gives the impression they don't care and are palming the issue of rule support off onto people who have nothing to do with it.

snowblizz:

In fact, if anything, hiding them away on the BL site rather than having them on the main site is giving a middle finger to those who care about quality rules because it gives the impression they don't care and are palming the issue of rule support off onto people who have nothing to do with it.

Dînadan
Exactly!
My point precisely.

GW doesn't give jack about the customer. Your only function is to give them money every week while shouting "oooh shiny". You're not supposed to be expecting quality rules. Support is not something they have any interest in providing. Hell, since Finecast apparently we shouldn't be expecting quality miniatures either. Lately it seems that beyond large plastic kits (which is the only place they still have a competitive advantage, guess why they are releasing so many large plastic kits for 40k) GW have given up on the market.

Note that we all here know where to find the FAQs now. They weren't up for long before the first people started posting the info to others. Score one for GW's thinking. The people who can't find them on BL are probably not noticing the lack anyway. At least from GW's point of view.