[Archive] New High Elves

Thommy H:

Banner of Probably Fine, Actually, But People Are Dumb.

Vogon:

Banner of Probably Fine, Actually, But People Are Dumb.

Thommy H
Well as one of my armies is Daemons I've been looking at this with quite a lot if interest and for 600points a high elf can have a perfectly legal unit of 40 elite elves (say White Lions) which dish out (thanks to their martial prowess rule) 40 strength 6 attacks in combat against which a Daemon army are unable to do anything.  In a 1500 point game with characters in there this would be an auto win unit.

I don't think I'm being dumb but I can't see a way to deal with it.

Cheers

Vogon

OK one way to deal with it is simply to take my Chaos Dwarfs :)

fattdex:

I have a game lined up against high elves on thursday and I have a nasty feeling I am going to face the white lions/alladrielle/world dragon/handmaiden with horn bunker (initiative great weapons with 2+ magic/3+ regular ward saves if all goes well for the pointy eared git)

So not going to be nice to him, I will take the following

2000 Pts - The Legion of Azgorh Army

1 Sorcerer-Prophet @ 315.0 Pts

General; Lore of Hashut; Magic Level 3; Show Lore of Hashut; Darkforged

Weapon; Blackshard Armour

Talisman of Preservation [45.0]

Enchanted Shield

rpitts2004:

Where are you getting the 3+ regular wardsave for whitelions, doesn’t Alarielle only offer a 5+ to the unit? Are you assuming she gets some high magic spells off?

snowblizz:

I don't think I'm being dumb but I can't see a way to deal with it.

Vogon
Taking Life magic and killing ~half the unit with Dwellers. If that option still exists. Pit of Shades, Purple Sun and Final Transmutation all also ignore this banner though less efficiently.

There's always that option of piling on attacks and have them roll lots of saves. 2+ is "only" 2+. As a Beastman player I constantly have to work through that much armour. Bloody work but it can be done.

NoisyAssassin:

Destroyers don’t have magical attacks. Neither do White Lions. Just sayin’

Grimbold Blackhammer:

K’daii Destroyers do indeed have magical attacks.

Hashut’s Blessing:

Grimbold, they really don’t. To the point it was asked why not when they are daemons and it was answered :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

To be honest, there’s such a thing as panic (yes, even HEs with a re-roll can panic if you do right), the 2+ save doesn’t work against non-damaging magic, you can throw a bunch of attacks in the flanks and rear when you mop up the rest of their army (because the powerhouses are all in one place) and there are plenty of spells that skip the save.

If you’re not a daemons player, even less to worry about.

P.S. Break them once and no more banner anyway.

Baggronor:

I’m more concerned about speeding Star Dragons zooming an extra 20" in the magic phase with Walk Between Worlds and then roasting units with their breath weapon on turn 1, or Loremasters with the Book of Hoeth one dice spamming the 8 signature spells, or the stacking ward save bonuses HElves get just from casting High Magic spells (most of which have very low casting values), or the carpet-bombing Phoenix Riders that give off Str 4 large template hits every turn and then come back to life.

I don’t think I’m being dumb but I can’t see a way to deal with it.
Kairos, Dwellers. Barring lucky panic tests, that is the only way. Its a pretty odd thing to introduce really; it can only ruin games for Daemon players, no one else will be that fussed.

fattdex:

Destroyers don't have magical attacks. Neither do White Lions. Just sayin'

NoisyAssassin
everqueen's boon of isha makes her units attacks magical, her shield stone gives the unit a 5+ ward against mundane damage and all she has to do is cast two high magic spells per turn to make it 3+, yes. then banner of the world dragon gives the unit 2+ magic ward. Oh ad demon units (kdaii) in 12 inches take auto d6 s4 hits. Its a fromage+ bunker.

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Doh! I was thinking of the Flaming Attacks vs Thunderstomps debate in my head. I drink. It’s really sad…

fattdex:

So… yeah. New everqueen is racist.

Ass handed to me even though i had a perfect setup with guns on a hill, 30 blunderbusses in a gunline behind a wall in front of a river and two lots of fireborn as quarterbacks.

Everqueen and banner of atherlorn in 30 white lions ethereal teleported 20 inches down the boad into my artillery then the back of my gunline and destroyed my army, I was only able to do two casualties back to it. The rest of his army were cheerleaders, lion chariots were gone turn two as were most of his spearmen, ice phoenix trapped in a fight with my fireborn all game. The everqueens anti daemon rule took a few wounds off the nearby kdaii, but I think I lost 7-8 wounds just to burning bright (and one or two to the phoenix)

Bolg:

tried a game yesterday, 2400 I had a nice tournament list (with Destroyer) and the high elfs were kinda thrown together… long story short, only my BSB and babysitter survived 6 turns (being locked in combat on 3 sides). Tell you one thing. never bring any Kadaai if you know you’ll face highelfs, all the dudes wear Dargon armour. I did some nice maneuvering so I got to take down a unit of seagards but then got killed by a BSB on eagle (and burning bright).

Vogon:

I too had my first game against a mostly cavalry High elf army.

http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=13133&pid=218186#pid218186

Cheers

Vogon

Yodrin:

Aparantly the banner also gives 2+ ward against miscast…

Bolg:

Aparantly the banner also gives 2+ ward against miscast........

Yodrin
Yup, and as a non Demon player that bugs me the most.

Yodrin:

Just “found” that out today that it gives a 2+ ward against miscast. A big unit with White Lions with a lvl 4 and that banner is going to be HARD to kill. The lvl 4 may cast dice like nobody else with little or no concern at all!!

Hmmmmm… what to do???

French_noodle:

Aparantly the banner also gives 2+ ward against miscast........
Where does it come from ? In the French version of the book it says ward save against magical attacks, nothing about miscast. Is it different in the English one ? It would not be the first time ^^

Bolg:

it come from ? In the French version of the book it says ward save against magical attacks, nothing about miscast. Is it different in the English one ? It would not be the first time ^^

French_noodle
Not in the book, but just check the FAQ, it clearly states a miscast as a magical attack.

A 2+ save against a S10 hit, I'd buy that for 50 points. (But luckily High Elfs are just to Goody Two-Shoes for me.)

Grimbold Blackhammer:

The Banner of the World Dragon is pretty low on my list of things I’m worried about actually. Elves still dislike artillery and we can still dish out loads of artillery. The Lore of Hashut may be mildly affected but for the most part, it is still an awesome lore to take. And our units mostly dish out non-magical hand-to-hand damage anyway. So I say bring it on! It’s the damn book that is going to drive me batty…