[Archive] New Orc Boar Boys and River Trolls

Grimstonefire:

Anything has got to be an improvement on the current boars. They and the boring orc infantry kept me from collecting an orc army. So I’ve moved one step closer…

Swissdictator:

That’s why you go with Gobbos!

clam:

I like the trolls - especially this one:

- but yes, a bit pricey for plastic models (I geuss).

Don’t know about the Boar Orcs. The orcs looks nice - really like the new shields - but what happend when the designed the boar heads? :sick

Swissdictator:

The boars seem to fit the boar in the orc character kit that came out a few years ago.

Still, compared to their previous counterparts they are much cheaper. The boar boyz seem very reasonably priced.

Da Crusha:

I like the new models alot especially the boar boys I always hated the previou s edition ones. they were too small

Thommy H:

I really like the boars, actually. They just look so…cute. I don’t know why that works, but it does.

Hashut’s Blessing:

EDIT: Just seen my essay of a post O.o Sorry guys :stuck_out_tongue:

On the subject of the trolls, I think that the yellow of the belly is far too bright and the skin could be darker, but no worries. That paint scheme essentially puts me off of them before getting to look at the models more closely: which I have. I prefer the dark almost all black scheme and even the third scheme. The black one fits in with the Warhammer tone a bit better as it tones down my main problem with them (to be explained in a bit) and the third scheme fits the model’s sculpting far better, being garish and bright.

My key concern with these models is that the proportions seem strange, the heads too short (heightwise) and the biggest problem: FAR too cartoonesque. I liked the direction of “slightly serious, but still clearly fantasy and not trying to be exact replicas” and I even prefer the old ‘heroic scaling’, but these have simply gone to cartoon proportions… That said, I do like the idea of the scales on their backs, but I wish they stuck out less because they seem like spines more than scales at the moment. Fish scales would’ve really helped to sell that these guys belong in the river, but the current scales do the job. At £9 a body, it seems slightly fairer than £12 and, if I liked the models or was inclined to buy them, I’d consider, but I think I’d rather have bought them individually as I would rather spend £27 on a box and a bllister, or half way to buying three boxes.

Onto the boarboyz: at first glance, I hate these, but I did take a closer look and will explain my further opinion in a bit. First glance, all I could see was the boar with it’s legs practically spread eagled, the banner bearer who looks like he’s in a coffin (like the previous edition of Chaos Knights, their shoulders pulled in and head in their kneck, arms to their sides/chest) and the paintjob on his and the boar to the left’s faces. These are all horrid, frankly: the paintjob makes the faces look incredibly cartoony, which, as I said before, is a direction I’m not liking; the closed in banner guy just looks like he’s uncomfortable on the tube, not a raging Waaagh-machine wanting to brawl; lastly, the splayed boar makes them again look ridiculous and cartoony, which, combined with the boar’s skin paintjob, makes them seem really hideous, but not in the ugly orcish way they should.

Bad points from first glance over, now onto my more in-depth look. The champion has a good pose for leading a charge, but more that he is in a great pose for shouting Waaagh as he coincidentally leads the charge: I dislike their choice of helmet for him though as it doesn’t look orcy and seems a bit weird (it’s just a round thing, jagged at one each with holes for eyes) and not grandiose (grandiorcs?). His boar has a well done armour plate/helmthing for it’s head that isn’t unrealistic and it’s generally a nice piece. The banner bearer looks okay, except for the aforementioned “I’m in a wardrobe” look, which here makes him look like he may be holding a small bunny protectively, whilst the banner looks more like something a night goblin of the Bad Moons tribe may have, but that’s just because it’s vaguely crescent: a flat orc effigy face (like the old shield design) may look better, perpendicular to the pole. Musician looks good, except he appears to be holding the “mane” (which I like, except he’s not sat on the beast, it’s somehow booted him, a hefty orc in armour, up) and I like the horn. The other boyz look great to me (except the odd helmet again and the stupid looking facepainting/helm), I like the spears, they look better made than last time, but have the same feel and style.

Overall, the boarboyz look like they have some nice options and are actually generally well done, with the boar’s facepainting not showing them in their best light and a simply positioning rectification necessary to make them very nice (with a more difficult repositioning of the boar that I despise :wink: ). £12 for 5 cold one knights seemed like a bargain, but 5 for £15 seems a fair enough price to me, rather than feeling like it’s way to much like a lot of GW stuff: I’d like to see more cavalry at £3 a model. Now, will I add them to my army? I’m unsure as, currently, I have all of my units from my Chaos Dwarf army, plus a couple of Black Orc characters (Borgut and Grimgor, who can be unit champs) and my fat gobbo (which can be a unit filler) as my army. Buying them would be my first purely Greenskin army unit and I haven’t the money right now, lol :stuck_out_tongue: Definitely something I may consider.

I was thinking the same thing as Pyro: the paintjobs, whilst well executed, are REALLY hideously chosen of late (ALL of the beastmen models, the river trolls, the boars’ faces), but I also have noticed something else… The sprues seem to be a lot more ordered, but annoyingly, with less random extras/variations (e.g. orc boyz come with maybe a dozen spare right armed hand weapons, whereas the trolls have 2 spare heads). Not complaining (I’d prefer there were more spares though :wink: ), just observing.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I like the new trolls. They are a bit pricey for a plastic kit, yes, but I guess they’ll come with a lot of options and that more than just these poses will be possible.

wallacer:

They’re OK but nothing more.

Captain Crayon:

I reckon those new trolls are awesome… likie somone said before… like big fat mean gremlins.

As for the boar boys i think they look fantastically cartoony. However i cant think of a single reason to buy more… i think the 24 i’ve got is probably enough…

although i do hope they follow the current trend of releasing new models, then making them awesome in the game to entice people to buy lots of them…

in the current incarnation they’re not much chop, but thats probably heading off topic…

Hashut’s Blessing:

Ishkur, if you look at the GW blurb, they come with three bodies, 5 heads and 5 sets of arms. I had a quick glance and didn’t really see any extras on the sprues (it was a VERY quick glance). I’d imagine that the angle of the arms and the direction of the heads can be chosen…

Also, the backs are separate from the fronts, so you can always mix those up, but it won’t change their stance.

Possible River Trolls from this box= 3 backs x 3 fronts x 5 heads x 5 sets of arms = 9 x 5 x 5 = 45 x 5= 225 possible river trolls. But, of those 225 trolls, you would have each head 45 times, each set of arms 45 times, each front 75 times and each back 75 times. Lots of possibilities, but not lots of variation, IMO.

Patrikson:

I have seen the new board boys they look cool i don’t think i would but them though as for the troll…

THEY LOOK BAD ARSE!

I love the new look it is just awesome., The color of them is really bright and quite cool but to the people that don’t the colour scheme…Remember they don’t come pre-painted like D&D miniatures…

And also the detail of the troll’s are superb and they more aquatic or amphiban…There nothing with the ones before but i would not have bought them because mainly the models looked like Old Hags or Harpies from Myth…

Anyway guys i can’t wait to see if they have any new troll models like the rock ones or if they could make a bigger one…Then i can start the Lava Troll :slight_smile:

zobo1942:

Well, I think the trolls look really great - but for $53.50CAN for three of them?! WAAAAAY too expensive for me…

cornixt:

Wait, so these are a cavalry unit that might actually rank up nicely?

I like the boars, the current ones are about 20 years old and don’t look great, although these do look like they are running at full pelt which looks a bit strange. Some of those helmets are odd too.

Not so sure about the river trolls. I didn’t really like the old ones too much, but these are just too cartoony. They need some facial work and that would take away the worst of it.

Father Grumpmas:

Boar Boys

Trolls

I quite like the trolls but boar boyz are a bit crap

Hashut’s Blessing:

Patrikson: I know what you’re saying with the paintscheme, but the choice of scheme can help to deter people or entice them based on how it makes the model look. I was only saying that I didn’t liek it and it put me of off them, but I had a look at the greys and the other schemes to see if I actually liked the models themselves :wink: It’s a case of first impressions: even though you can change your mind (and scheme) about the models, the first impression (which has a lot to do with how it’s painted) will still sway you somewhat.

cornixt: damnit, you said what I wanted to in a matter of sentences ^^

Father Grumpmas: the picture of Alf is EXACTLY why I dislike the boar faces in their current scheme. Not sure if they’d look any better in other colours though…

The Brain:

I think the trolls look like ass. They are about the worst models that GW has produced, right up there with the monitors. I really hate just about everything that GW is making for fantasy these days. The most of the 40k stuff is ok though. I don�?Tt know if it is the sculptors or the computer software but the models stink. The boar boys are ok but not great. It seems that with the new trolls, chaos, beastmen, and the undead that the sculptors are trying to over compensate for a lake of depth in the figure with tones of accessories and exaggerated detail (like the monitors fur or trolls scales). I will be sticking to conventions and ebay to buy models that are actually good looking.

Xander:

I think the aspect of the Trolls that look the most cartoony, to me, are the hands. They seem quite overlarge.

Uzkul Werit:

Both of these are great.

Bolg:

Dont like the orc helmets and the banner is awefull the boars on the otherhand are uber cool…