[Archive] Nicodemus' Forge of Unfinished Business� [May 19 2019]

two_heads_talking:

If you want the daemonic ends to the blunderbuss I've seen a couple of people use the chaos tank sprue.

Grimstonefire
any chaos las cannon or rhino pipe tops will work fine

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat1020028&prodId=prod1090577

see the dragonheads on the end of those TL lascannons in the turret.. perfect for blunderbusses.

cornixt:

Found it here:

Hobby's Hobbys

Nicodemus:

Was walking past a magazine rack a few weeks ago with the Dawi Zharr on my mind… and saw this cool steampunk-inspired machine out of the corner of my eye on the cover of Corel Painter Magazine Issue 30…

On closer inspection it’s a little too cutesy, but if you squint at it in glances only you can get an idea of what our favourite race might do with this idea.

My problem with CDO is that my brain keeps going to everyone else’s fantastic and creative ideas for converting BFSP miniatures and in the process I’ve lost a little of my own creativity. (best example is the cannon crew member who is usually converted into a sorcerer holding some flames).   Well no more, those uninspired BFSP slayer models are going to be perfect as my Arcane Engineers who pilot their own creations into battle:

Bear with me…

A couple of wooden “doll heads” from Michael’s craft store pinned:

Building up the basic shape to see if it’s going to work.  The weight of the wooden balls keep the thing from tipping over.

OK, so far so good, things fit and with some GS he’ll look like a CD Arcane Engineer.

Can’t decide if I want talons or insect-like legs for walking (pic further below)… or maybe both, in which case an extra set of carnifex limbs from eBay may be in order.

It still needs a a lot of extra layers around the joins as they look too thin.  The base may also need some bulking up so that it looks a little more slug-like.  After that some armour plating on the body and around the cockpit, and a steam engine or boiler on its back might work.  I’m also thinking hydraulic pistons between body sections will help the mechanical look.  I also really like the hint in the original picture of the two cables just below the mouth of the creature… although I think my creature needs four, and some extra spikes or talons on the head as a suggestion of a mouth…

Any other thoughts are welcome… including a name for this monstrosity!

~N

PS I’m contemplating some kind of optional removable “seat” that would mount on the back and project just a little behind the head so that a sorcerer could ride along and use this as a mount.

Loki:

That looks so cool :slight_smile: the rear end the current steam tank has a great looking boiler and pistons that might be of use, for a name how about the magma worm?

Nicodemus:

Decided to use some bits I had lying around instead of sculpting my own masks (as the two I made looked dreadful!!).

Any thoughts on how it looks?  Does anyone look at this and immediately think “Dark Elf!?” ?

The mask is a bit I have a bunch of recasts of, from the Dark Elf Warrior’s standard (at the top in gold)

~N

two_heads_talking:

chaos dwarfs and alice in wonderland… holy crap, you couldn’t have paired two better things together than those too… and evil alice is even better… nicely done.

Kera foehunter:

love the slayer idea !! the girl looks like sojourn thow

cornixt:

That thing is seriously freaky!

slev:

Nice idea dude!

Can’t wait to see the finished article.

Nicodemus:

Pretty simple conversion with some left over bits from the Empire Battle Wizards sprue, and a goblin nose:

Haven’t decided if I like the cloud that’s being cast coming from his hands directly or if I’ll go with the original potion bottle to be put in his hands…

~N

tjub:

I like the sorceror alot, cool and easy conversion! :slight_smile:

two_heads_talking:

nice sorceror, where’d that hat come from?

Loki:

Great sorceror conversion, did not think that a goblin nose would work that well on a dwarf face but it does and it looks great :slight_smile:

Nicodemus:

nice sorceror, where'd that hat come from?

two_heads_talking
The hat is from the current Empire Battle Wizard's sprue.  From the first time I saw a pic of the Wizard with that hat I thought "Chaos Dwarf"!

There's a lot of different head and weapon bits in there, and a few hands, but only two bodies.  So once you make your two guys you'll still have lots of bits left.

I just cut the head out from the hat, and stuck it on.

~N

clam:

Great Sorcerer conversion - simple but perfect - funny no one have come up with that before.

The skull face smoke - is that from the empire wizard as well?

Nicodemus:

The skull face smoke - is that from the empire wizard as well?

clam
Yes, it is. It's supposed to be coming out of a potion bottle a wizard is holding.  I cut the smoke off the top of the bottle as the bottle looked rather large... for a CD to hold.  However, the round bottom of the bottle is basically the exact same size as the cannon ball the dwarf is holding, so I could still cut the neck off that potion bottle and put the smoke back on, and then glue the neck of the bottle on to the cannon ball... it would look exactly the same. Just requires the Wizard's hand and fingers to be cut away from the neck of the bottle.

~N

Kera foehunter:

Love the sorceror !!

Border Reiver:

I’m going to chime in and say that is a wonderfully simple and effective conversion for the sorcerer. Keep it up.

Zanko:

I´m very impressed by your warmachines - both look great so far! :hat off

I´m eager to see their progress!

The CDs are also great - so brilliant beginning! :cheers

:hashut

wallacer:

Some very clever bitz used in that conversion. Never thought of cannibalising an Imperial Wizard.