[Archive] Ogre Kingdoms Rumors

Nicodemus:

Here’s a big pile of news on updates for the Ogre Kingdoms from www.theogrestronghold.com:

I happen to know some snippets of the forthcoming ogre book. I registred for the sole reason of posting what I was told, but still take with a pinch of salt:

Phil Kelly is author.

Plastic kits:

Rhinox Riders (on regular Rhinoxen) (box of 3, Giant Bases)

Scraplauncher/Skewer-slinger (Similar to Warp-cannon/plague-claw in design)

Great Mammox with three ogre crew and plastic tyrant option (Same base as Arachnarock. Imagine a cross between a musk ox and a Mammoth. Absolutely the most astonishing plastic set yet produced by GW!)

Yhetees (More gorilla-like, and and no more 80’s hairstyle manes. Really dynamic for a plastic kit. Includes really awsome frozen Gnoblar-bit)

Litterally a small unit of Gnoblars can be made from the extras in these kits alone.

Finecast:

Jahred The Red

Golgfag Maneater

Old models redone in finecast: Goldtooth, Skrag, maneaters (box of 3, female, ninja and pirate discontinued), Tyrant/bruiser, gorger.

Rules:

Bull Charge will work always, even though you’re less than 3 ogres and charge less than 6".

All ogres except butchers gain a basic 6+ save from their gut plates.

Ogre Clubs negates parry save, and is a general rule for all weapons like Choppas in OnG.

All army restrictions and max caps gone, but gnoblars do not count towards minimum core.

Weapon options for units cheaper, and minor point reductions across the board. Bulls will stay same base cost.

Magic will be standardized. Most spells will stay similar (augments with low casting values) but with greater range, and can be buffed to affect more units. May also be cast on Yhetees and Gorgers.

Rhinox Riders are super-hard. They get regular stomp and D3+1 Bull Charge, and also has Devastating Charge. (Special Choice). No mention of Bull Rhinoxen.

Scraplauncher, same but moves to Rare, does D6+1 impact hits due to Rhinox’s horns.

Rhinox and Mammox are mount options for Tyrant.

Mammox can thunderstomp everything, like the SoM Bonegrinder Giant. Insane stats, but expensive (like 290 points base.). Crew can have leadbelcher swivel guns.

Hunter greatly improved. Move and fire with harpoon and monster-killing special rules.

Yhetees as in SoM, but with options for 2HW or GW.

Leadbelchers auto-hit, and can fire every turn, but only S4, no AP. Don’t come with Light Armour.

Maneaters have massive point drop, and even more crazy weapon options. Can take a Special Character champion (Golgfag).

New Cauldron-altar rare unit for butchers, no new model. (Use Skrag?)

Lots of new special character. one with an insane magic weapon. Greasus now LD10 and completely rewritten (Stats, rules and items similar to Gorbad Ironclaw).

Magic Items:

Big Names Gone.

Half of items are Magic Weapons.

Tenderizer and Siegebreaker will stay.

Halfling Cookbook grants Loremaster.

There’s a banner granting the same frenzy Minotaurs have.

Plastics will be out in October. Finecast in November.

Zephyr
Sounds like some exciting stuff!  More large Monsters can’t be a bad thing ;)   Plastic Rhinox will be great IMHO as I keep wanting to use them in my army as beasts of burden instead of just slaves.  I’m glad to see that the new stuff isn’t getting spammed with Finecast models too :stuck_out_tongue:

~N

Vogon:

Interesting, and it can hardly be a coincidence that they’re bringing out a mammoth style model just after they release rules for using one in any army.

I look forward to seeing the new toys in the flesh.  Thanks for the post

Cheers

Vogon

Nebuchandnezzar:

I have a cunning idea of using that mammoth as a stand in for the forge world one :smiley:

should be intresting to see the new kits and, after all, gw are getting better at making bigger kits and ogres are a army of monsters.

Murdock129:

Well I’m looking forward to the Yhetees and Maneaters, given that they’ll most likely be more useful and cheaper being sold in sets of 3

Skewer Slingers will be interesting, I’m presuming their similar to spear throwers.

The Mammox sounds amazing, as do the Rhinox Riders, my only concern is with the Forge World Rhinox Riders, firstly will they stay in production (I really hope so as their beautiful), and will they have different rules as their no doubt much bigger than the Giant Based ones (I for one plan to have three of each)

Jared sounds awesome, as he has a Rhinox I believe, which’ll hopefully be going on Forge World sized, and Golgfag will be interested, I wonder which fancy dress he’ll be in of all the Ogres, hopefully Pirate or Ninja

I hope the Finecast models aren’t too messed up, though Skrag’s cauldron seems like the one place air bubbles might be acceptable, or at least the blood inside it lol. Goldtooth, Gorgers and the Tyrant being Finecast too is slightly annoying, as we all know Finecast is prone to being rather low quality

I don’t like the Big Names being gone, it’s like Bretonnia losing it’s virtues or Dwarfs losing their Runes. Glad to see Tenderizer and Halfling Cookbook still there, not to mention Hunters being improved is good news, I always loved those guys

Ugly Green Trog:

I’ll be bits boxing alot of the gnoblars day of release, I’ve been toying with the idea of a gnoblar slave unit just cos its fluffy and I like the little buggers too.

Spikes:

Here's a big pile of news on updates for the Ogre Kingdoms from www.theogrestronghold.com:

Sounds like some exciting stuff!  More large Monsters can't be a bad thing ;)   Plastic Rhinox will be great IMHO as I keep wanting to use them in my army as beasts of burden instead of just slaves.  I'm glad to see that the new stuff isn't getting spammed with Finecast models too :P

~N

Nicodemus
*gasp!*

Deny parry save and no big names? These are the news that surprise me the most. Sad thing that I won't be able to have To 6 on my tyrant! But good stuff on denying parry saves with all weapons.

Other than that, I like the rumors on magic (longer ranged buffs with low casting values, loremaster item), the new point costs and armor options, the army restrictions that are gone, the improved leadbelchers (I have tons of this model but none get used).

I plan on buying two scraplaunchers, two extra rhinox riders (I have a forge world one). Maybe the core ogre kits if they re-do them because of new weapon options.

Spikes:

Sad thing that gnoblars don’t count as true core. A gnoblar horde is what I would have wanted to try out as well: gnoblar heroes, gnoblar lords, etc.

nitroglysarine:

hmm, why not make an orge sized mass of gnoblars and get them to ‘count as and ogre’. Kind of in a two kids one on the others shoulders in a big rain coat = adult kinda way.

Nicodemus:

hmm, why not make an orge sized mass of gnoblars and get them to 'count as and ogre'. Kind of in a two kids one on the others shoulders in a big rain coat = adult kinda way.

nitroglysarine
That sounds like six kinds of awesome!! I was thinking of something similar for Snotlings a while back, but for Warhammer Quest - basically allowing players to play as a group of 3-4 Snotlings, where each Snotling is its own character with very minor abilities, but they can gang up together and act as a much tougher group.

~N

cornixt:

Is a mammox big enough for a giant to ride like an ogre rides a rhinox? Even if not in the actual rules, sounds like a cool conversion opportunity.

Kered:

There were rules for a gnoblar horde in a white dwarf. Here is the PDF:

http://www.alamogt.com/pdf/Gnoblar-Horde.pdf

Nicodemus:

There were rules for a gnoblar horde in a white dwarf. Here is the PDF:
http://www.alamogt.com/pdf/Gnoblar-Horde.pdf

Kered
I guess that's not so significantly different from playing a friendly game using a Hobgoblin-only horde. Doesn't look nearly as do-able with the experimental Throne of Chaos CD rules as it was with the RH CD army.

addendum
Hunh! I never noticed until now, but those Gnoblar Manbiters (Dogs of War) can be hired by a Chaos Dwarf army. Coolio!

Thommy H:

Kev Coleman, of Dwarfs of Chaos Indy GT list fame, wrote that. Gnoblar Manbiters for Chaos Dwarfs are pointless though - they’re the same as Hobgoblins, but count as a Special choice.

Nebuchandnezzar:

Are dogs of war even legal know, didn’t the FAQs abolish the dogs of war rules so ogres and ect. cannot be hired by any armies now or have I grabed the wrong end of the stick???

If so, no more ogre slaves weilding pipes for me :frowning:

Murdock129:

Is a mammox big enough for a giant to ride like an ogre rides a rhinox? Even if not in the actual rules, sounds like a cool conversion opportunity.

cornixt
Most likely, I mean it is Arachnarok sized, and given that it's a Mammoth/Musk Ox it's gonna be pretty bulky, moreso than the Zombie Dragon or Arachnarok most likely anyway

Hashut’s Blessing:

Some of the things worry me, a lot of them excite me, but overall, I’m curious as to what made them decide to do ogres next? I thought that they were fairly strong as an army, but not OP. I can only think of modelling opportunities.

Nebuchandnezzar:

Maybe they have started to notice a dip in sales for the ogres and so are trying to breathe new life into them by giving them some new kits to get the new kids intrested in them (as well as ultramarines of course) and they don’t really want to abandon them like they did with chaos dwarfs…

Thommy H:

No, they’re just due to be redone, and this is what happens when an army gets redone now - loads of new units, new kits and usually a massive monster.

Spikes:

No, they're just due to be redone, and this is what happens when an army gets redone now - loads of new units, new kits and usually a massive monster.

Thommy H
Yeah, in my opinion the next fantasy armies that SHOULD be redone after ogres are wood elves and bretonnia! (I hope.)

Thommy H:

I think there are some Bretonnian rumours floating around, yeah. Something about a combined plastic trebuchet/super reliquary kit.