[Archive] Pappa Midnights Chaos Dwarf Army: *New Harquebusiers* added 08 Jan 2018

Pappa Midnight:

Hi all,

I thought I’d share some pics of a Chaos Dwarf army I’m putting together for Dragon Rampant. The Figures are a combination of Mantic and Russian Alternative. The finished Army will be 32Pts, although I will have a few “spare” units to swap in or out depending on the opponent.

First up is my Warlord ( Russian Alternative) on a custom base.

He will be fielded as a reduced unit ( one model) Heavy Foot with Mystical Armour.

Next up is my Slave Master who will be leading a unit of Slave Orcs ( Bellicose Foot + Terrically Shiny Armour + Fearful). He is also a Russian Alternative mini with a GW head and whip. He is also mounted on a custom base.

I have a unit of Immortals half completed which I will post soon.

Regards

PM

Abecedar:

Gorgeous start to your blog.  Welcome.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Herby:

Hello Pappa Midnight!

Beautifully painted. Great work.

TheHoodedMan:

Wow. Great work, I am looking forward to your unit.

(Nice Avatar by the way).

OT: Herby, back in business?

edit: such a great start deserves some slaves :hat off

Malorndk:

Great start and beautiful paint jobs. Welcome aboard:)

Grimbold Blackhammer:

Those look great! What’s the stone/base made out of? I ask because you’re lighting from the lava glow looks excellent!

Skink:

Welcome on CDO buddy :cheers! Those minis look excellent! Eager to see more :slight_smile:

Fuggit Khan:

This guy can really paint! :o

The colors are beautifully balanced, and the bases are very complimentary to the mini itself. Cool banners too :hat off

Admiral:

Excellent start! Tasty choice of colours, skillful and perfect shading and highlighting, gorgeous lava glow effect. Nice slave master conversion as well. Striking overall impression. What’s not to like?

The first post alone is a beauty to the eyes. :hat off

Bloodbeard:

Holy smokes! Those miniatures are excellent! Great paint job!

Welcome to CDO Papa Midnight. I think you’re our first Dragon Rampant CD player. Personally I own a couple of the Osprey Publishing games, they do publish some good stuff.

You should consider joining our future painting competitions with a painting skill like that!

Carcearion:

Wow really gorgeous work on the Russians! I�?Tm a huge fan of this line and I think you have probably done the highest detail and professional looking paint job on them I�?Tve ever seen! Really great work!

I know I�?Tm not the first one to ask but what is Dragon Rampart? At 36 points it makes me think skirmish game (I�?Tve been looking for a new skirmish game after Song of Blades and Heroes flopped with my local group).

Pappa Midnight:

Thank you all for the warm welcome and for all of your kind comments. I’m having a real blast painting up these little blighters!! These are the first Chaos Dwarfs I have ever painted and I am now wondering why it took me so long to take the plunge.

@Thehoodedman: My Avatar is my Army standard which I knocked together with photoshoppe. I was going to have it as nice flowing banner but thought it would look out of place with the infantry. I might save it for a war mammoth however…

@Grimbold Blackhammer: The bases are made with real volcanic rock ( the type you get for BBQ’s). I thought it was kind of cool to use stuff which was from an actual volcano! Painting the glow was a little bit of trial and error but I think I have just about got the hang of it.

@Bloodbeard: I’m pretty new to Dragon Rampant myself but it seems to be pretty flexible and the CD army I’ve put together keeps in the spirit of the CDs with a different twist. With regards to paint competitions, I’ve never really thought about it. My output is a little sporadic due to work so I find deadlines can be a bit of a bind. I’ll keep it in mind though.

@Carcearion: Dragon Rampant is a set of fantasy skirmish rules from Osprey. Although a “skirmish” game it still uses units ( From single minis to 12 per unit) with the figure count for my 32pts being 50 minis. I Also have the historical version “Lion Rampant” for which I have Teutonic Knights and Medieval Russians. The rules are pretty much the same but without the fantasy elements.

Once again, thanks for the comments and also the slaves!!!

I will post some Immortals shortly.

Regards

PM

Malorndk:

Spectacular banner! I have a ton of banners for the wikia for people to print out and use. It makes me happy to see someone even better at photoshop bring banners into the world. If you at any time wold want to make some more, feel free to PM me for help with sharing your great work with our users.

You mentioned in your introductory post that you have been playing for 30 years, and have quite an undead army. Is it up for view anywhere online? If not, feel free to share it as well, even though all models aren’t painted to your current standard :slight_smile:

Pappa Midnight:

@Malorndk: Thanks, I’m pretty pleased with the way it turned out. I have no problem with sharing any of my work with other gamers and would be quite happy ( time permitting) to put some together.

I will post my current undead army shortly ( I’ve had a few over the years) but here’s a link with some pics until then:

http://www.lead-adventure.de/index.php?topic=91339.0

Regards

PM

Jackswift:

Welcome. This is an awsome start to your army.  Very nicely done.  Beautiful vibrant colors with a ton of depth, and beautifully painted!  If your entire army follows this it will be striking indeed.  Do I see some metallic in that red on the armor?

Pappa Midnight:

Thank you. I’m glad you like them. the Immortals are taking a little longer tahn expected but they should be finished soon.

Do I see some metallic in that red on the armor?

Jackswift
You certainly do. It’s something I used on some of my medieval Russians. I painted the area I wanted metallic with silver and washed it in dark ink to dull it down. I then used silver again to pic out highlights. Once dry I used Tamiya Clear Red over the top. When dry it gives a nice vibrant red with the metal effect showing through. (Note: Tamiya Clear red is toxic so don’t lick your brushes! Also it dries really fast so if you don’t clean your brush regularly it will ruin it!)

Regards

PM

TheHoodedMan:

You certainly do. It's something I used on some of my medieval Russians. I painted the area I wanted metallic with silver and washed it in dark ink to dull it down. I then used silver again to pic out highlights. Once dry I used Tamiya Clear Red over the top. When dry it gives a nice vibrant red with the metal effect showing through. (Note: Tamiya Clear red is toxic so don't lick your brushes! Also it dries really fast so if you don't clean your brush regularly it will ruin it!)

Pappa Midnight
Thank you, very interesting!

Pappa Midnight:

Just completed a unit of 6 Immortals with great weapons. They are all Russian Alternative with “Foundations of War” resin bases. They will be fielded as a unit of “elite foot” in my Dragon Rampant army.

I have experimented with some “crackle” paint on the movement tray ( Ranger distressed crackle paint) and I am quite pleased with the results.

Some half breeds to follow soon.

Regards

PM

Admiral:

Brilliant and vibrant colours as usual. It’s a small details, but I particularly like the underlit lava glow on the champion’s scalemail trim. Very good work!

Carcearion:

Oh my! So nicely done! gorgeous lightning effects on the scalemail, and the trim, and the plate armor. On everything really!

It’s really something to see my favorite line done up to such a high quality! and in such strikingly done colors. You really made the classic color scheme on these guys catch the eye.