[Archive] Pictures of the plastic Dwarf Lord sprue

duktu:

Okay, so why not instead of the loooong pole give him a flag saying “Officer in the front line - shoot me!” ?

Seriously he wouldn’t be able to fight with this thing as it would be far too heavy for him to hold in one hand. On the other hand maybe I’m over thinking it, it’s a fantasy game so stranger things may happen.

Still, my army (when I start building it) will have smaller banners, even the army standard :slight_smile:

AGPO:

Looks to me like enough to make the following:

4 lords/ thanes on foot (option for a BSB and oathstone)
or lord on shield (with shield bearers) and a thane/ BSB.

I don't see enough bits for a runesmith or engineer.

I wonder if they will include a 20mmx40mm base?

Grimstonefire
To me it looks like two heroes and one pair of shield bearers - I.e. One mounted character and one on foot just like the other models. From a converting point of view I reckon you could alter the shield bearers to be standard warriors or extra characters, but if you're gonna do that much work then just use plastic warriors
As I said over on Warseer, I'm personally glad that they broke the mold and made the metal ones. Metal figures are so much nicer. This sprue is pretty underwhelming really.

Okay, I know we're all primarily converters and modellers over here, and for that plastic kits are the way to go, but particularly the dwarfs themselves have really put me off plastic models. The detail is crap, the damn things don't fit together properly, they need more greenstuff than any one or two piece metal fig, they need more filing than any one or two piece metal fig, and overall assembling my dwarfs has made me very unhappy with the way GW is headed.

Given the choice between a box of Hellcannon crew-like metal chaos dwarfs, and a box of plastic chaos dwarfs, I know which one I'd choose, and price be damned.

Steve

angryboy2k
Not everyone can afford them but I know what you mean. One of the things I dislike about the new angle GW are taking is that all these plastic kits seem to discourage converting. Most of them are far harder to repose than the older regiment sets (just look at chaos warriors to see what I'm on about) and now when people want unique characters to lead their army, rather than be original they go out and buy a plastic boxed set. Plastics from GW are going down hill IMHO

Tallhat:

I wouldnt say that. Apart from the chaos warriors what other plastic sets are nigh “un-convertable”? I really cant think of many. Im not really sure what peoples beef is with plast�c models, I for one love them. They detail level may not be as high as on some metal models but its damn clost to it.

- Tallhat

Dracomancer:

Most of them are far harder to repose than the older regiment sets (just look at chaos warriors to see what I'm on about)

AGPO
Meh, i'm going to disagree with you there, ive seen the "new" chaos warrior sprue used to make:

-Bestigors
-Black Knights
-Plastic chaos knights
-Chaos warriors with GWs or Halberds (I'm guessing that counts since it requires you to convert the weapons)
-Bull centaurs (top half only, somewhat obviously :P)
-Marauders
-Beastlords/Wargors
-Plastic chaos lords/sorcerors
-Truescale space marines (most famously, the Doghouse pattern Gothic marines)

And thats using the main body/legs, go into just using the helmets and weapons and the list grows further, no models are "unconvertable", it all just stems down to how far you are willing to go on the conversion front ;)

(and no, i'm not adding links to the things I mentionned, look yourselves, lazy people :P)

I'm quite fond of plastic myself, its cheaper than metal, and whilst the detail isn't as high, its much easier to convert and GW has started adding a lot more random goodies to the sprue, which can be used on other models as well :).

torn:

im sure he meant the fact the new chaod warrios arent very poseable, rather than what they could be used as conversion pieces. e.g. unless you get the greenstuff out their isnt a lot of variety in a regiment, they all stand the same.

Kera foehunter:

Well to me .It look like G W. had a lot of part left over and decided to thew them together. But i do like it:hat off

grunts:

Most of them are far harder to repose than the older regiment sets (just look at chaos warriors to see what I'm on about)

AGPO
Meh, i'm going to disagree with you there, ive seen the "new" chaos warrior sprue used to make:

-Bestigors
-Black Knights
-Plastic chaos knights
-Chaos warriors with GWs or Halberds (I'm guessing that counts since it requires you to convert the weapons)
-Bull centaurs (top half only, somewhat obviously :P)
-Marauders
-Beastlords/Wargors
-Plastic chaos lords/sorcerors
-Truescale space marines (most famously, the Doghouse pattern Gothic marines)

Dracomancer
And Grave Guard!

angryboy2k:

I wouldnt say that. Apart from the chaos warriors what other plastic sets are nigh "un-convertable"? I really cant think of many. Im not really sure what peoples beef is with plast�c models, I for one love them. They detail level may not be as high as on some metal models but its damn clost to it.

Tallhat
I'm afraid I disagree with you on all three points:

If this sounds a little rushed, please excuse me, I'm in the middle of a battle in WoW, lol.

Unconvertable? Okay, there's a lot we can do with them if we chop off all the detail and cover it up, but the basic POSE is unalterable... Look at the dwarfs. We can do wonderful things turning them into chaos dwarfs, but the basic pose... is awful. I wanted to do a bunch of rangers standing around drinking and so on, but you can't reposition the legs OR the bodies, thanks to those gigantic skirt things they wear.

Point two: I hate them because my dwarfs needed so much filling and filing (mold lines like you wouldn't believe) that I can't be bothered painting them.

Point three: the detail is a million miles from the metal stuff. Take the metal dwarfs from the current edition and compare them to the plastics. There's no comparison.

:)

Steve

EDIT: Ah, Torn had already made the point I wanted to drive at. And he did so much more succinctly than I did. It must be because it's so late (early) here...

torn:

at the end of the day you ay for what you get though

metal models are always better, but sometimes it can be very expensive to do whole armies based around metals, so you have to use plastics.

that was why games like necromunda, mordiem, gorkamorka, bloodbowl etc were good, because you could focus your skills in producing ‘groups’ with lots of detailing, and because of the small mount of miniatures needed the cost was always low. i think even in my gorkamorka gangs high point i had less than 20 foot troops and 4 light vehicles, and that is a very big gang, but easily done with metal if wanted.

i have the new white dwarf and im sure ill be able to make 3 pretty cool sorcerers fro that box set, and i always like my characters to be metals. I agree the dwarfs skirts are very limiting pose wise. As far as i can think the only non limiting plastics in warhammer fantasy are empire troops.

angryboy2k:

As far as i can think the only non limiting plastics in warhammer fantasy are empire troops.

torn
I assume this unit of Orcs was made with plastics.

http://demonwinner.free.fr/australia/2002/golden_demon_winner.php?categorie=2#1st

It has to be the best example I've seen of a dynamically posed, interacting group of miniatures. And they're all on the right bases, ready to put on a movement tray of the right size. Very creative, and completely impossible with the dwarfs (whose bases are too small anyway).

There are more pics of that squad out there, but I can't find them.

I guess my problem with the plastics and their proponents is that people claim versatility and poseability, but what I seem to have is a bunch of poorly formed frankenstein's monsters that don't exhibit poseability beyond waving their arms in wild and improbable directions... But I suppose I should stop here as I'm driving this completely off-topic.

What about them Habs, eh? (Montrealer joke).

Steve

Dracomancer:

It has to be the best example I've seen of a dynamically posed, interacting group of miniatures. And they're all on the right bases, ready to put on a movement tray of the right size. Very creative, and completely impossible with the dwarfs (whose bases are too small anyway).

angryboy2k (refering to the plastic orc kit)
Don't take this the wrong way but have you tried using that kit? I have and IMO its one of, if not the worst kit i've ever had the misfortune to use, the poses are boring, the weapons actually look worse than the previous edition ones, and it is pretty much impossible to attach the torso to the legs without the orcs looking stupid as hell (this is just my experience with the kit mind, i'm sure others have no problems with the kit and adore using it, to each their own)...

cornixt:

That diarama/unit has been greenstuffed quite a bit. The problem with the current orcs is that you can’t angle the arms. A little filing fixes the torso/legs problem. The ball-socket arms of the dwarfs are great, but dwarfs with their beards are pretty limited in the poses you can do in multipart kits.

The main choice is between few metal models (usually 4 plus command) or multipart plastics with have a much larger number of combos. I prefer the latter because I’m a converter, and plastics give me so much more variety and are much easier to work with.

angryboy2k:

I have never seen the orc sprues, so I can’t comment on them. I just made an assumption based on the fact that they’re not wearing skirts.

To respond to Cornixt, in the Good Old Days ™ there weren’t just a few metal models for a range. I had the Marauder Miniatures Dark Elf Army deal (50 quid back in the heyday of 3rd edition!!) and there were over 20 regular infantry models, 10 witch elf models, 10 crossbowmen, and multipart cavalry with I think 8 different bodies.

You don’t have to like the figures from those days, but you can definitely love the variety. I won’t comment on the price because inflation aside, I think it’s obvious that GW’s plastic policy is to price them the same as the metals over time. (Okay, I did comment, haha).

Steve

Kyte:

I don’t see what’s wrong with this set or any of the plastic dwarfs. Even the skull pass dwarfs are quite nice miniatures IMO. The current plastic dwarfs are great IMO, because they include so many options.

I can’t wait to see the WD article showing all the bits of the new dwarf lord set.

And the detail of plastic minis can be just as high as on metals. The New chaos Terminator lord is a great example. IMO, that’s the best plastic kit GW has ever produced. Ogres are damn nice too.

Thanks

- Kyte

AGPO:

im sure he meant the fact the new chaod warrios arent very poseable, rather than what they could be used as conversion pieces. e.g. unless you get the greenstuff out their isnt a lot of variety in a regiment, they all stand the same.

torn
This was my point indeed. The comparison I was leveling was between the old chaos warrior regiment (the first ever regiment set btw) and the current one. If you have an extensive bitz box and the time and green stuffing skills there is no end to what you can do with any model, but the old chaos warriors were so much more dynamic and interesting to assemble. I have nearly 200 and I loved making each one. In contrast the new models are dull. I see what Draco is saying as I have made HoC heroes and Chaos Knights with these minis myself, but I was talking about the flexibility when assembling them as a regiment of core troops, which you must admit has gone downhill.
The number of sets where the legs come attached to part of the torso comprises the better part of the range nowerdays, and especially when there is a cloak or other detail involved this makes reposing much more of a hassle. I just think with the regiment sets GW concentrates to much on the "game worthiness" approach whereby people get their minis to a standard they can play with and nothing more. Fair enough, just leave something there for those of us who want unique looking models and paint for fun.

I do agree with Kyte though, the new 40k chaos almost has me breaking my only "paints and modelling suplpies" policy with buying GW. Those models are just awesome. And �12 for one model isn't soooo expensive (okay so I'm kidding myself here). Anyway, how come WFB gets two characters in Its character pack as opposed to just one. And has anyone noticed that it wasn't so long ago that the price of a tactical squad was the same as the current cost of a captain model?

Tallhat:

I have never seen the orc sprues, so I can't comment on them. I just made an assumption based on the fact that they're not wearing skirts.

To respond to Cornixt, in the Good Old Days (TM) there weren't just a few metal models for a range. I had the Marauder Miniatures Dark Elf Army deal (50 quid back in the heyday of 3rd edition!!) and there were over 20 regular infantry models, 10 witch elf models, 10 crossbowmen, and multipart cavalry with I think 8 different bodies.

You don't have to like the figures from those days, but you can definitely love the variety. I won't comment on the price because inflation aside, I think it's obvious that GW's plastic policy is to price them the same as the metals over time. (Okay, I did comment, haha).

Steve

angryboy2k
Oh the wonderful old times! When you bought Rhinos in boxes of 3! :D
How I miss those days.

- Tallhat

cornixt:

Well, back in the Good Old Days T they didn’t invest even half as much in rules development, stores and gaming nights. The cost of developing, casting and storing such a huge range would be even larger now that the number of armies and different unit types has increased.

On a similar note, has anyone ever put together a complete unit of every single one of the old CD models?

Tallhat:

Maybe. But generally the gaming scene was much more pleasant. Its become too much of a big company the latter years. I feel like much of the games soul has gone. A good example would be White Dwarf.

- Tallhat

torn:

when the first tactical box of the new style marines came out (which arent much different from the ones now in production) i bought them for �10. the cost has almost doubled, to the point where i buy everything off ebay secondhand if i can.

I agree with tallhat the content of white dwarf reflects the community games workshop is making for itself now. It used to be so much more personal, now it feels like a corporate leaflet, the kind of thing middle managers would get pidgeon holed with to make sure they know what products are being released and how they should sell them, not an extension of the hobby aimed at fans.

In the old days the metals were so much fun too, there must have been at least 30-40 different chaos sorcerers to choose from, and so any more warriors. I remember there were at least 5 pages of catalogue just full of skaven, and the same with dwarfs, with at least 20 on every page. Ok so the quality of sculpting may not have been the same, and the metals could in theory poison you (but it never stopped anyone using a spearman as a toothpick) but every model was different and you could really personalise your armies. bring back the old days i say!

Kyte:

bring back the old days i say!

torn
GW seems to get that we liked the old marauder minis, look at this new plastic Bloodletter. It looks almost exactly like the old marauder minis.

God, I love that sculpt. By far the best GW sculpt since the ogres.

Thanks

- Kyte