[Archive] poll: do you like the new forgeworld chaos dwarfs?

cornixt:

Why "land" train? As opposed to sea train or sky train?
Well a sea train would be difficult, both since their in a wasteland and that warhammer boards aren't generally seas or rivers. And a sky train would be both an incredibly hard model to design and play with

Murdock129
My thought was: why this is being called a land train rather than just a train? I'd go as far as to say that more than 99% of all trains are land-based, it's a completely unnecessary descriptive term!

Murdock129:

My thought was: why this is being called a land train rather than just a train? I'd go as far as to say that more than 99% of all trains are land-based, it's a completely unnecessary descriptive term!

cornixt
A land train is another name for a trackless train

Willmark:

Bear in mind guys these could always just be placeholder names.

Ishkur Cinderhat:

I love them.

But then again I pretty much love almost everything FW throws at me and end up buying excessively expensive but overly cool looking models that take years for me to actually paint up. :confused:

Golder Goldeater:

They look good but the hats are just wrong. :frowning:

However the hobgoblins artwork kicks so much a$$! :slight_smile:

All in all I would give it a 7/10

However we should all buy a little something if we want the dawi zhar to make their GLORIOUS return.

Willmark:

Yes this is certainly aimed at “us” meaning those that have CDs already. The question is what will be the appeal outside of the fan base and the rules that go along with them.

Border Reiver:

It’s FW, meaning it’s expensive and geared towards the more “fringe” collectors (how else do you explain all the minor SM and IG variants) who want something different, but playable. Or just something super cool looking.

Willmark:

Sure no doubt. My point is that this is great but there needs to be more to have broader appeal.

Yro:

Well, i love them! but my only concern is that the old big hats (my favs) were a little more aristocratic, and less “barbaric”.

I’m realy happy that WF uses the old iconography, bolts and all!

I think the industrial design twist in warmachines is interesting, and in some way original, even if, maybe, i prefer the more babylonian look of the old models

G.2:

I do like the Forge World Chaos Dwarf stuff. But to honest, any NEW Chaos Dwarf item is welcome. I don’t think that FW will do any standard rank-and-file type troops, as this is not their strong point, but I am sure they will do some awesome LARGE items, like the ones we have already seen.

The_Bear_in_the_Hat:

They’re okay, but they strike me as a bit dull and there are a few issues - like the tiny hammer on the model I assume is a daemonsmith. I also think it’s a shame they have dropped the Babylo-Assyrian theme and just gone “gnome” with them. I always thought that the theme was a good one, but needed to be less cartoony and would have yielded some good results if reworked.

I’m not sure the “Chaos Gnomes” angle will be as charcterful as I’d like CDs to be.

Borador:

well sort of, i like the warmachines, thats for sure, but I dislike the tall hats and the curly beards, but that’s convertable haha

Fequiil:

well sort of, i like the warmachines, thats for sure, but I dislike the tall hats and the curly beards, but that's convertable haha

Borador
WHAT?!:o

Joshmohr:

They look pretty cool- But a little to much technology.

Minos:

Love them too : big hats, but of a wider variety. I like the fact FW kept the old babylonian fashion, but also gave some ‘modernity’ to his models.

However, I don’t like the abundance of chaos stars on the machines. I’ll have to remove them… :~

Grimstonefire:

The simpler thing is just to change your perspective on what it means in a CD army. :wink:

To me they embrace imagery that other people associate with ‘Chaos’ because it’s scary, it doesn’t actually mean anything to them.

Perturabo:

I drop out of the loop for a few months and look what happens.

I’m liking the warmachines quite a lot, not too sure about the horns on the Dwarves though. I expect they’ll grow on me. Although, some sort of huge nail file might be in order if they do… :wink:

Borador:

WHAT?!:o

Fequiil
3rd ed fan ;P

Admiral:

Yes, I really like them. From what pictures I’ve seen, FW is going for a great look to the Chas Dwarf army. I’d have polled “Yes, I love 'em!” had they made the war machines more akin to the Hellcannon, but on the other hand that clean steam punk look leaves quite some space for home-brewed chaotic spicing-up. The Chaos Dwarfs’ horns doesn’t suit my taste too well, but I think it’s good that FW included them, since the horns should prove easy to remove (or integrate into hats and masks). Time will tell if the horns will grow sound on me.

I don’t think that FW will do any standard rank-and-file type troops, as this is not their strong point, but I am sure they will do some awesome LARGE items, like the ones we have already seen.

G.2
Well, they did some awesome rank-and-file troops for Death Korps of Krieg, and those new FW Empire swordsmen and handgunners are obviously meant as an expensive replacement for the pyjamas state troopers that GW hauled in for us in 7th edition. (They’re decent in a way and I don’t dislike painting and converting them, but as ordinary infantry for the main human army in Warhammer, they should have been better.) Also, quite a lot of people seems to be waiting for Forge World to release ordinary warriors and blunderbussers. Certainly, they should do core unit stuff to please customers.

We’ll hold our thumbs. :wink:

(As a side note: When GW released their glorious Hellcannon and CD crew, those miniatures really got me and some friends excited. We hoped, and still hope, that GW will make a whole regiment box of warriors based on the Hellcannon look, and include them in the Chaos Warriors army - or even better launch CDs as an ordinary Warhammer army. If FW does a helluva job with the CD rank-and-filers, I’m sure that both they and DKoK [who are much better as ordinary Imperial Guard than Cadians and Catachans] will end up as plastic kits, sooner or later. As a patient soul, I’m willing to wait and meanwhile whip up conversions.)
However we should all buy a little something if we want the dawi zhar to make their GLORIOUS return.

Golder Goldeater
I second this. When my economy allows a little luxury later on, those money will be well spent on the FW CDs. :hat

unheilig:

Just got my first batch today.

It is now quite clear that this is only the first of MANY orders I will make.