[Archive] Power of the sprue?

nitroglysarine:

Dang i’m going to have to forfit, I started this a while back, and i’ve brken a few of the rules, I’ve used a part (shield) and some piping inside for structure.

Damn!

Borador:

Man that looks awesome! Cant you replace the shield and such so you can still enter?

nitroglysarine:

its the frame work inside that kinda makes it hard to enter really.
-> i’m guessng that violated the rules? (yes the jaw could be redone with little effort)
And the leaves aren’t frame either :-p

Borador:

Hmm photoshop is your best friend? Haha kidding. In my opinion it doesn’t really matter since it looks awesome, maybe you could just alter the parts that stick out?

I am not the one to say if it’s wrong or right though, the rest has to agree aswell haha.

Hoping that they dont really mind either!

Thorne:

Dang nitroglysarine you beat me that was my plan. To make the treeman Spruethu ah well Ill press on with the treeman anyhows.

nitroglysarine:

I guess I could cover up the bits and then they wouldn’t ‘‘contribute’’ to the look?

Borador:

I guess I could cover up the bits and then they wouldn't ''contribute'' to the look?

nitroglysarine
Hehe true ^^

Grimstonefire:

Seeing as it seems we’re discussing what we’re making anyway, something I have been thinking about making is a giant mechanical rat.

What I’m thinking may be possible may be to cobble together a simple and small concept version to get ideas on shapes, pose and angles etc.

Borador:

Nice idea grim! Indeed a good solution for trying out poses etc!

I was thinking about making something like a golem or some other warhammer fantasy-ish robotic machine, which I can touch up with GS and plasticard etc afterwards.

Joshmohr:

Cool model! Since some people are interested, why don’t we give it a go with deciding on rules? Of coarse you can use any sprue available, and feel free to carve it to your liking.

nitroglysarine:

So rules:-

1. No non sprue bits, or none visible? (as in can you use an internal frame work?)
2. You can do what you fancy to the sprue plastic, calve, shape, melt, hammer etc…
3. No use of bitz at all
4. Has to be on a standard GW base? (what size? - no limit?)
5. You can use any sprues from any range.

ingtar_shinowa:

I’m melting down some sprues to cast a greater deamon lord lol

Grimstonefire:

1. No non sprue bits, or none visible? (as in can you use an internal frame work?)
3. No use of bitz at all

nitroglysarine
A contradiction?

I think a better rule would be that you can't use greenstuff (or other modelling putties) at all and must keep plasticard and wires etc to a minimum on the outside.  I normally use old GW bases or pens/ tubing/plasticard etc to form the inner core of a large model.
4. Has to be on a standard GW base? (what size? - no limit?)
5. You can use any sprues from any range.
2. You can do what you fancy to the sprue plastic, carve, shape, melt, hammer etc...

nitroglysarine
All ok imo.

cornixt:

How about losing ‘points’ for the use of greenstuff, plasticard, and non-sprue bits?

Joshmohr:

Maybe something like that? How about two pea-sized green stuff balls, with maybe a 2inX1in bit of plasticard?

Thorne:

A little greenstuff and plasticard can go a long way id prefer to keep it sprues and maybe basing materials if we could ?

Borador:

I second Grim & nitro, have some additions aswell

1. No use of visible non sprue bits and no use of premade bitz

2. Has to be on a standard GW base

3. You can do whatever you want with the sprue (melting, bending, carving, hammering it fown, GLUEING ;D)

4. You can use sprues from any range(/manufacturer?)

5. No use of GS

6. Internal parts may be made from anything; pens, beads, plasticard, socks, etc as long as they are not visible in the end.

7. Simple basing materials are allowed, but not necessary

8. Painting is allowed, though not preffered (as it makes it harder to see the sprue, so add a prepainting photo if you are going to paint it!)

IMO we should just do a voting thread afterwards, since the use of GS is already banned out we can select all those that applied to the rules and sadly, leave out any who didn’t if there are any.

Man we might just get a scrap demon winner from this!

This is a fun contest, great idea Joshmohr! Maybe next time we should do a CD themed one? Would contribute to our cause if we get a chaosdwarf scrap demon winner haha. (looks at Grim ;P)

Just my two cents!

nitroglysarine:

looks good to me!
(typo on the ‘down’ to ‘fown’ but i’m just being a pedant)

Thorne:

Borador’s rules work for me. infact I think he has a very concise list of rules ect to play our competition. Looking forward to this.

nitroglysarine:

Time to do some leaf removal and some jaw ripping!!