[Archive] Rant: GW Staffers

Ghrask Dragh:

A very big example of the irritating WAAAGH was at this years UK games day, you must of heard it
Every time I hear it I just think of the akward silence after and I laugh!

The only problems I have had with GW staffers is when they spend a bit too much time with the kids in the store and forget to turn the silly attitude off when they are talking to me, I fell like screaming ''I'm 23 for **** sake!!!!!''
On the whole though I enjoy visiting the GW's in Wales, very helpful and a laugh if nothing else!

gIL^:

when i worked there we had a boss who was a right twat who stopped a slayer army from playing because there illegal now, im ashamed to have worked there.

some employies such as me were the old school type who was genuinly interisted in what people were saying, this new breed of staff are obnoxious and bullies thats a main reason i left,

AGPO:

I avoid the stores these days. I play with a gaming club of about 10 guys, all of whom no their stuff and are just normal blokes who play wargames and collect minis as a hobby but have a social life. Most of the jerks who hang out in my local store have been rejected from society for very good reasons and are the type who give the hooby so much more of a geeky image compared to say computer gaming.

Willmark:

And of course black trench coats and lack of personal hygiene are mandatory… :slight_smile: usually after these types enter the store there is a noticeable “funk” wafting through the air… Been there to witness it, not fun at all.

Malificant:

i agree. the store i play at, hobby town usa, is nice because the store owner gives our group privilage, and lets us run the show as far as marketing GW stuff. we play the game, so we are always talking to new players since WE are the players, not the store owner. i love Hobby Town.

as far as the bad image, we end up getting the scrawney angsty magic players and 40kers who come in, and a few guys go in the parkinglot with trench coats on and sword fight. dont get me wrong, i have no problems with amtgard or dhagohir or SCA or arma, but there is a time and place for that.

Willmark:

You mean reanacting the parking garage scence from Highlander in the parking lot isn’t weird? Say it ain’t so!

WarplockMonkey:

I admit, i do snigger a bit when i see the complete nerds in our class re-inacting dodgy anime films and playing sword fights with 1 metre rulers

When a 5"1 14yr old is waving a ruler around, making noises like shing and shwoooowmm , you cant help but smile :stuck_out_tongue:

torn:

i have to say the geeky image puts you off, but the geeky attitude is worse. at the end of the day its just a game, and soe different models to make and paint. the amount of arguments people get into over rules/fluff/illegial minis etc isnt worth it. thats why i play with people like me who enjoy the hobby more than he gaming, and would rather fight a completely unfair but good looking battle, with the old “actually wouldnt it be cooler if he won the fight, ill give you another roll” attitude, rather than a straight down the rulebook line battle.

at the end of the day this is fantasy, not waterloo re-enactment.

as far as sword fighting goes . . . i have a foam sword from when i did aikido (although aikido is an open handed swordsmans martial art using a sword can be a part of it) and would love to test my skills against some nerds in a car park.

Malificant:

the geeky attitude is what put me off my old d&d group. people would hold personal grudges for decsions made in the game as though it was real, no more important than real, life. plus the stigma those people put on the rest of us, dare i say, normal folks who simply enjoy a fantasy/science fiction setting.

WarplockMonkey:

Im put off the geeky image as well

I make sure only my best friends and gaming buddies know about my hobby, so that i dont get the piss taken out of me at school

It also annoys me when these geeks who i know play warhammer talk about nothing else, and hold grudges against people if they loose and/or loose against a cheezy army

I dont think im a geek anyway…

zagor66:

Warplock Monkey , I understand your pain.LOL.I also only tell my best friends and my forum about my hobbie not just because I dont want the piss taken but also I like to think that its my own personal hobbie , I in fact dont think Im a nerd either only that I merely enjoy the hobby and not some nerd who shuns the light.:hat:hat off:hat:cheers

Uzkul Werit:

I couldn’t care less. If someone wants to label me a nerd, let them. At least I’m happy.

WarplockMonkey:

I’m lucky that my friends understand my hobbie, i knew someone that when they told thier apparent ‘mates’, they were shunned out of the group.

I feel that if a friend can’t understand you, they arnt a friend at all

Willmark:

I was fortunate back in the day I played the game with my close friends who are still my friends to this day. In high school I played football (american version) :slight_smile: and studied karate as well as wrestled. So very people would actually mess with me and I would tell those who did to leave the geeks alone since I was one too. Funny thing is im not all that tall so people would assume they could kick my a@@ a few beating later delivered on certain guys who though they were tough ended that.

WarplockMonkey:

Wilmark-

I play rugby under 15s, and at 6 foot 1 and 190 pounds, i dont get that many people messing with me either! :slight_smile:

Willmark:

Yeah. I always found it a bit lame when people would pick on others for absolutely no reason other then they could. Lame. Go find something better to do.

torn:

i generally dont tell people about about my modelling because either a) it bores them to death or b) they have no idea what im on about. still if anyone comes round the house they get a nice tour of all the projects im working on at the time whether they like it or not lol.

as far as being nerdy etc is no more nerdy than spending 6 hours a day behind a playstation, which a lot of people do. at least we do something constructive with our time.

Uzkul Werit:

My friends accept my hobby and some have even dabbled with in the past. One might have even have me to thank for his Dawn of War habit.

WarplockMonkey:

as far as being nerdy etc is no more nerdy than spending 6 hours a day behind a playstation, which a lot of people do. at least we do something constructive with our time.

torn
I totally agree with you, i would prefer to sculpt all day than to play on a ps2. At least we are doing something that keeps our minds active, well thats my excuse :P

Willmark:

I agree When I play video games its an empty feeling when you are done, because at the end of it there is nothing to really show for it.