[Archive] Response from Jervis Regarding Chaos Dwarfs

furrie:

Demons isn’t a new army, it is one of the three chaos armies, but now they don’t have to share there rulebook with the demons.

Hashut’s Blessing:

I understand what he has said and, as I mentioned in the staff section, I think it’s strange that they say it is difficult to update an army and update it’s models, when they have created OK and have updated armies such as WEs and,

further back, Lizardmen in such a manner as well. At the least, they could give us some answers to the problems involved with the pdf and 7th ed rules, then let us play in tournaments. Or even not let us play in tournaments.

Deebo:

Firstly, thankyou to Willmark, That was a wonderfull letter you wrote, very professional!

Secondly, I totally agree with Zorn, They SHOULD NOT be releasing new armies when there is an army that seriously needs re-doing since it’s last book was back when there was an entirely different magic system and it was just compiled from White dwarf articles anyway!

They go pulling other armies apart to make more armies e.g. Undead-TombKings/Vampire Counts! Chaos-Hordes of chaos/Daemons of chaos/Beasts of chaos, thats 5 new books instead of 2, then they go and make the ogre kingdoms who are meant to be mercinaries!

Ahhhh!!

Thirdly, Games Heartbreakshop is really annoying me!

Thommy H:

They’ll release armies in the order they want to release them. They don’t owe you anything, you know.

Willmark:

True but doesn’t mean we can’t/shouldn’t be annoyed with them when warranted.

Thommy H:

Sure, but please don’t act like these new/re-done armies are somehow “replacing” Chaos Dwarfs. If they don’t want to to do Chaos Dwarfs it’s because they just don’t want to do them yet, not because other projects are getting in the way.

Xander:

It was a very nice letter indeed. Jervis makes an excellent PR rep. Hehe.

I will probably find room on the main site for this, as I think it is important for prospective players to know GW’s stance on the army.

Steven:

Thanks for sharing the response Willmark! It’s sad that they haven’t put any effort into updating the army, but I do understand I guess. They need to make a profit in any army that they create. And while we’re all a highly dedicated fanbase to the CDs, we may not be enough to justify them creating a new line, or updating a new one in this case. Though, as many have said, OK was a brand new list with new models, and they released that before updating the CDs.

I didn’t know we weren’t allowed to field our armies in Grand Tournaments any longer. Kind of eliminates the reason for having the list on their site. It would be nice if they could at least give us another get-us-by list so we could field our army at official tournaments.

Thommy H:

It would be nice if they could at least give us another get-us-by list so we could field our army at official tournaments.
Personally, I think that sets quite a bad precedent anyway - it says "Warhammer is a tournament game, and you only get official lists for tournaments". I think that's just the kind of perception they're trying to move away from (with things like Apocalypse, etc.). None of us play Chaos Dwarfs to win games anyway, do we? I can't see hardcore tournament players even having that much investment in an army like this.

Willmark:

I agree. The only problem is playing at stores. You get people who are gits and you want to slap them.

Steven:

None of us play Chaos Dwarfs to win games anyway, do we? I can't see hardcore tournament players even having that much investment in an army like this.

Thommy H
Heh, yeah I don't play to win at all. It's just fun playing whether winning or losing. But yeah, it is a bad precedent to do another get-us-by list. But even that would be a small bone to throw at us. But it's not like they're going to do it regardless. And yeah, what Willmark said. Some of the players at the stores are gits, and not the cool sneaky kind.

Obsidian:

I’m re-doing Chaos Dwarfs as of late I like the creative side of the hobby better than the gaming.

I feel they threw us a bit of a bone when they did the Hellcannon. Not much in all those years I know but with the new look of the crew it did it for me!

metro_gnome:

yawn

has it been six months yet?

why look it has?

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/6251

just like clockwork…

Willmark:

I'm re-doing Chaos Dwarfs as of late I like the creative side of the hobby better than the gaming.

I feel they threw us a bit of a bone when they did the Hellcannon. Not much in all those years I know but with the new look of the crew it did it for me!

Obsidian
True they could have had any other crew for it but chose Chaos Dwarfs, kinda cool. Though I was hoping for Fimir crewing it... ;)

Deebo:

They'll release armies in the order they want to release them. They don't owe you anything, you know.

Thommy H
They dont owe me anything?
I was wondering how you came to that conclusion... Seems to be bad buisness to me.
They started this game and they put Chaos Dwarfs in it and people spent there hard earned money and for some people I mean HARD EARNED then they stop releasing it and there hard earned moneys worth of army balances on the edge of being useless other then fond memories and ornaments!
Yes Games Workshop does owe me and alot of other people who have spent there dollars in the past because they think that they may not make any money, which by the way is based on what?
Have they ever asked us if we would like to see Chaos Dwarfs return?
As for people saying that they are unpopular... when was that 10 years ago? These are new times, Last week I decided to take my Chaos Dwarfs to a gaming club to play and every young bloke in that club was very impressed with them and were asking "Where can you get those?"

metro_gnome:

um… you payed “HARD EARNED” money for toy soldiers… GW has sold you toy soldiers…
they have your money… and you have their toy soldiers… the transaction is complete…
they owe you nothing further…

they have not asked for their toy soldiers back… so you cannot expect your money back…
but they can say: "hey we gotta game that you can play with your toy soldiers"
don’t want to play it? well thats your business…
making a game that other people want to play? thats theirs…

Theory_Man:

Response to original post

A least we are staying in the Fluff, and nothing is preventing us from using the dwarf army list in tournaments.

Plus we have Border Town Burning Mordheim rules (unofficial but its Mordheim, find a friendly gaming group) which is a good thing.

Deebo:

Toy soldies, that were part of a game that they are now being phased out of, thats fine for them they DO have there money for them and they will not buy the “toy soldiers” back if they decide to make them useless to gamers.

Not that I want my money back, I want to be able to play with a part of the game that they sold me without arguements saying you cant use them anymore.

Thats what they owe me, In my opinion, it may not be shared by others but I dont have to change my mind for people who dissagree.

Now I have voiced my opinion I will not get more further into it causing a “flame thingy” :hat off

metro_gnome:

well you still have the “original” game…

so your toy soldiers are not useless…

or not anymore useless than they were in the first place…

the game has changed and been improved on… but 5th ed still exists for those that want to play it…

if you would like to play the current game with the toy soldiers you spent money on over a decade ago…

you should expect to have to be creative…

if you would like them to take an interest in what you would like to see happen with the game…

you should expect to invest in the current game…

a part for a '85 Caprice Classic will not necessarily work in '95 Caprice Classic…

same product… same company… bad business?.. I think not…

Father Grumpmas:

I think it was a fair reply form Jervis. Some points to note though

* Being committed to keeping them in the Warhammer world does not equal a commitment to them getting an army book. Fimir and Jabberwocks have had passing references in recent GW material but I’m not waiting for the army lists

* No real mention of the issue of the possible demand for Chaos Dwarfs. If it was perceived that there was a lot of money to be made then CD’s would be pushed up the production ladder

* We are in a Catch 22 situation as well - we all want an updated list but it is possible that a new book could render large amounts of our current armies unusable.

I actually got interested in CD’s because they were a bit unusual and obscure and anyone you meet playing them is usually good value. I don’t want them to become the new mega-army of Cheese when they are updated.