[Archive] Sculpting Blog

Traxo:

Hello out there!

Thanks for stopping by �?" First, let me introduce myself:

Im a 23 young man living in Denmark and I recently began my biggest Green Stuff adventure ever! I have been in the hobby for around 8 years, and the last couple of years I have had an increasing fascinating of sculpting and converting, and now I have decided to try my luck at sculpting miniatures from scratch. As much as I like sculpting I have some problems of keeping focused If I don�?Tt have a purpose �?" so random miniatures was out of the way. I somehow needed a goal �?" a line of miniatures that I could make my own version of. I have followed this forum for some time, and after some time, I chose Chaos Dwarfs! Guys like Baggronor and Grimstonefire have been a great inspiration in my choice of models I wanted to sculpt, and I really admire the work they have done.

This blog will be my way of keeping track of things, and show the models to the world �?" and hopefully get a few pointers from some of the pros out there :slight_smile:

With the introduction out of the way, let�?Ts talk a bit more about the dwarfs I want to sculpt… I really like all the different versions of CD that are available out there, but I have some clear favorites. FW�?Ts are awesomely detailed, and I like the overall style, but they look a bit to much like little chaos warriors. Baggronors im really impressed with, and I have been a bit influenced by his style, but I have tried to make them unique and personal.

The first unit I decided to make was a Blunderbuss Unit �?" I haven�?Tt been able to find any other models with blunderbusses (with no hats :wink: ) So it was a natural place to start �?" And now the first model is so far in the process, that I feel I can show it to you guys:

All he needs is some details and a little touch-ups.

Heres a pic of the other guys im working on �?" all set to be blunderbusses.

Im really hooked on this project, and feel like im getting better and better each time a mix another batch of putty :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think, and Ill be happy to answer any questions

- Jon

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Skink:

The first Blunder looks pretty good! Looking forward to see what you can do mate!

gIL^:

Keep at it! Poses are great.

Bloodbeard:

Looking forward to following this blog and welcome to CDO.

It’s a pretty need blunderbuss dwarf. When you reach number 20 in the regiment your skills will be through the roof.

ClawLeader:

Looks pretty awesome, keep it up and from what it looks like you’ve picked up a fair bit of skill already.

Like the way you’re going with them.

Traxo:

Thanks for all the awesome comments guys - you really make a newcomer feel welcome :slight_smile:

Bloodbeard - I dont plan to sculpt 20 though… Only around 4-5 + command, and then get them cast :slight_smile:

I got a bit more work done through the afternoon, and my lovely girlfriend took some better pictures of the sculpts (she has way more photo-fu than me)

First Blunderbuss is nearly finished - only need some rivets and bits and bobs:

Cleaned the back armour up and finished the remaining arm…

Got the helmet and first arm done on Blunder number 2:

Lot of work left, but im really happy about the helmet :slight_smile:

Let me know what you think…

-Jon

Bloodbeard:

Consider hollowing thw muzzle out a bit - just so it isn’t completly flat.

If your casts are good you can easily sell some here.

Rozmax:

You sculpts are very impressive. But I see some trouble this proportions. The shoulder too close to the head. And such big hands, like mechanic arm.

ClawLeader:

How are you doing your beards? I like them, they seem way more natural than what I produced, and what tools are used?

Traxo:

Thanks again for all the replies guys - you make me want to make these guys perfect!

Bloodbeard - I have tought about it, but ultimately decided against it, for the ease of casting… If i want them hollowed out a bit, i can easily do it when they are cast, though :slight_smile:

Rozmax - Wow, thanks man! It means alot when it comes from a talented guy like yourself! Im pretty new to sculpting, so my proportions may be a bit of - the big hands are done by purpose though… I like the slightly cartoony look it gives them - like the old 3ed. Chaos Dwarves…

Clawleader - They are pretty easy actually… I mostly follow this guide: http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=6848 Only difference is i hollow out the bottom of the beard :slight_smile: And the only tool i use is a standard sharp sculpting tool - but a scalpel or hobby knife could produce the same result :slight_smile:

I hope to get more work done today - maybe the beards and scales on the two armatures, and the details on the other two…

-Jon

ClawLeader:

Appreciated Traxo, your work is pretty good, and I’m always looking for ways to make mine better

Yodrin:

Looks very nice!!! Gonna follow this thread!

Traxo:

Thanks Yodrin! Im honored to have you following here :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER - Apparently photobucket (or me) is acting retarded right now, so the pictures might be a  bit funky… I will look into it tonight…

Heres a quick snapshot from my workdesk here mid-day… I plan to make another update tonight too :slight_smile:

Blunder number 2 now got both his arms!

Stay tuned!

-Jon

Bolg:

Love all this step by step stuff! very inspiring. models look great. keep them pictures coming (:

ClawLeader:

Ooooooh, daddy likes… Is his other side done where the blunderbuss is shouldered?

Traxo:

Thanks guys!

Bolg - glad you like them, and the step by step updates… Since im not a fast sculptor (at all!), its a good way to get regular updates :slight_smile:

Clawleader - the other side is more or less done… Its still missing some rivets and the gun some details, but its not much :slight_smile:

I know i promised pictures for tonight, but my son came in the way :slight_smile:

I will try to get an Update tomorrow - finished the scales and chestplate on two more blunders today. :slight_smile:

Jon

Fuggit Khan:

Somehow I missed seeing this thread earlier…very glad that I did not miss it entirely though, some great work here!

Keep up the good work, and please continue with keeping us posted with your progress…even if it’s not Big Hats :wink:

Great stuff :hat off

tjub:

Impressive project, looking forward to see how it all goes. Welcome to CDO btw!

Time of Madness:

Threads like this put my poor greenstuffing skills to shame! Looks great so far, keep it up!

Time of Madness

Sticklander:

You have my envy, sir. If only they were big hats…