[Archive] Starting my Chaos Dwarf army

BLOOD AXE:

Greetings fellow followers of Hashut.

With a hefty tax refund in hand, and a bit of luck. I finally purchased an army of Big Hat Chaos Dwarves. Ive always wanted an army of Big Hats. I just never found a decent deal & had the money at the same time. But finally the twin suns have conjoined as the prophecy has foretold!

Im going to use the “normal” Dwarf rules. No greenskins, all Chaos dwarves.

I just need to fill a few small gaps in my army. I should 2k- 3k+ points easy.

Anyway…its good to be back among such short evil folk.

:cheers

Cheers!

B.A.

AGPO:

Good luck and congrats on getting a good deal. One of my pet hates is seeing an awesome deal I’d normally leap at but a temporary cash shortage stops me.

BLOOD AXE:

Good luck and congrats on getting a good deal. One of my pet hates is seeing an awesome deal I'd normally leap at but a temporary cash shortage stops me.

AGPO
Thats what kept happening to me. I either had cash & couldnt find a decent deal OR there was a good deal but i was broke. Ive always loved the big hats!

Tarrakk Blackhand:

Can’t wait to see them…and welcome back!

Loki:

Great to hear, got to love the big hats, looking forward to seeing some of them on the site soon :hat off

BLOOD AXE:

So far I have a few Sorcerers & Champion/Heroes, Astrogoth.

60 blunderbuss, 60 Warriors, 2 earthshakers, 4 deathrockets & 6 bull centaurs.

Im planning on using Dwarf rules;

Lord= Lord

Sorcerer = Runesmith/RuneLord

Blunderbuss= Thunderer

Warrior= Warrior

Deathrocket= Boltthrower

Earthshaker= Stonethrower or Cannon

Possibly Bull centaur = Ogres.

I also have a Lammasu/rider & Taurus/rider I will probably trade. Also 20 Hobgoblin warriors & 15 Sneaky gits.

Lord maklai:

What be this i hear? Dwarfs can take ogres? Hooray!

BLOOD AXE:

As far as I know (and i could be wrong) Dwarfs can take Ogre mercenaries as Rares.

Grimstonefire:

Ogres as BC is a good idea.  They certainly will look impressive, any ideas how you will do the legs?

You could use the minotaurs with irongut heads to save a lot of work. Not sure how easy it would be to convert those without splicing two models together.

BLOOD AXE:

Ogres as BC is a good idea.  They certainly will look impressive, any ideas how you will do the legs?

You could use the minotaurs with irongut heads to save a lot of work.  Not sure how easy it would be to convert those without splicing two models together.

Grimstonefire
I have actual Chaos Dwarf Bull Centaur figures. im just going to put them on an appropriate base & use Ogre rules. If I use Dwarf rules & Ogre rules (centaurs) my opponent cannot complain.

Border Reiver:

Never underestimate the ability of someone to complain. I would be shocked if noone said that’s not a real dwarf army…

But I digress, congradulations on your new army. Personally, I’d use the Death Rockets as cannons and the Bolt throwers as, well Bolt Throwers, but so long as your opponent understands it’s all good.

BLOOD AXE:

Not going to use hobgoblin bolt-throwers. This will probably be an entirely Chaos dwarf army. No Hobgoblins.

Border Reiver:

Understood, but you could substitute the crewmen (crewdwarfs?)

BLOOD AXE:

Nah, simple bolt-throwers are fine for lowly Hobgoblins, but Chaos Dwarfs use dark technology!! Earthshakers cannons & Deathrockets!!!

BLOOD AXE:

GREAT!

So I have pretty much all I need now. Just a few more minor things to fill out units. I particularly need extra war machine crew members.

Im doing an all Chaos Dwarf army using Dwarf rules. I ran into a slight problem with war machines. Dwarf war machines have 3 crew members and an option for an “apprentice” engineer with pistol or handgun. I can use an extra Blunderbuss trooper for the engineer, but Deathrockets only have 2 crew members.

Sorcerer = Runesmith

Astragoth = Lord with Shieldbearers (to represent bionics)

Hero = Thane

Blunderbuss= Thunderers

Warriors = Warriors

Deathrockets = Bolt throwers

Earthshakers = Grudgethrowers

I like the deathrocket= bolt throwers because of the 2 for 1 slot. I figure earthshakers = grudgethrowers because of the blast template.

So far I have:

Astragoth

2 Sorcerers

4 Lords/Heroes

3 units of 25 Warriors (all metal !!)

3 units of 20 Blunderbuss

4 deathrockets

4 earthshakers

I just have to model up a Battle standard bearer. Im also planning to buy a Anvil of doom & just use a Sorcerer & 2 Champions in place of the Runesmith & Anvil guards.

Id like to convert a Throne of Power but throne- carriers are a big problem. Im not a very good converter.

Snotling:

Nah, simple bolt-throwers are fine for lowly Hobgoblins, but Chaos Dwarfs use dark technology!!

BLOOD AXE
Well, it's up to you to make them high-tec bolt-throwers like... nasty harpoons *chukk* *chukk* :hat off

BLOOD AXE:

Im going to use Deathrockets as Bolt-throwers with “normal” Dwarf rules.

Tarrakk Blackhand:

That’s quite odd. Why not use the Dwarf Bolt Thrower and add hobgoblins to it?

I think I’m missing the concept of this army. Are you trying to make a Chaos Dwarf army that can be played as a Dwarf army? An interchangeable force? IMHO, it’s better to just keep them as Chaos Dwarf only and try not to bridge the gap between two different armies.

Micge:

I think he meant to do a army of chaos dwarfs, which he uses as dwarfs. I`m gonna do just the same. Not every GW allow chaos dwarfs.

BLOOD AXE:

Yes, not everyone has read the entire post or they have misunderstood. I think Tarrak is only replying to my last post & has misunderstood. No biggie!

I am using Chaos Dwarf models.

I am using “regular” Dwarf rules for them.