[Archive] Starting out, total CD Newbie

Hammerhand:

OK guys here goes…

If you read my intro, you will know I am completely new to CD’s.��I’m not going to go into how I got interested etc, etc but needless to say, I was bitten by the bug and set about buying some classic CDs off Ebay.��After joining this forum, I saw Xanders BFSP conversion tutorial and it completely blew me away, so I set about making some of my own.��I don’t want the stuff I got off ebay anymore, it just doesn’t fit in!

It wasn’t long before I decided to try something a little different.��Also, seeing all the beautiful armies on this forum, and seeing how excited everyone gets when they see new stuff, I have decided to compile this blog in the hope it will keep a boot up my @rse and I may even get an army finished for once!!

Anyway, enough expl.��Here are my first BFSP converted CDs:

I’ve based them on sort of ‘mini chaos warriors’.��I think they look pretty cool.��These guys will form the rear rank of a regiment of 20.��with a bit of luck, my green stuff skills will have improved enough by the time I get to the front rank for them to look even better.

Anyway, it has taken me 3 afternoons to get this far, so hopefully the regt will be complete in about 2 weeks, then I can start painting.

One thing that’s not on this blog yet is my Hobgoblin Hero, that’s a surprise for Golden Hat!

Until then, comments, tips and advice to a CD newbie would be most appreciated.

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]

Thommy H:

Nice work. The detail on the collars is excellent and the beards look nice too. The capes could be a little smoother, but that’s just nitpicking on my part.

Keep it up :cheers

Hammerhand:

The capes could be a little smoother,

Thommy H
I know, I'm not entirely happy with them. I'm using an old technique I was shown years ago at a GW store, I've never quite been able to do it. I'm hoping that by the time I've done half the regt, they will be a bit more polished. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. :cheers

Willmark:

Holy crap! My green stuff “skills” pale in comparison. Nice job dude.

Draconis:

Astounding work. ~Looks over your miniatures~

Honestly the only thing I MIGHT change is the capes. Try and give the cloth a little more waviness or supple texture in the detail. Kind of hard to explain how I would want to state this…but a suggestion might be to put more waves in between the larger ones. Reason being is to give them more depth when you highlight and ink them, or blend them. Assuming of course that is your plan of action.

Other then that, they look solid. Excellent work man. Something to be proud of.

Khan!:

Very solid work! I really like the mini-chaos-warrior idea, it makes me think of the old Norse Dwarf fluff kickin around in the Man O’ War era. As everyone else has said, the only real flaw in your sculpting are the capes, but damned if I know how to do them better so props to you, sir :hat off !

Dracomancer:

Very kickarse, my only suggestion regarding the capes (which I think would look fine when painted btw), is just to roll out some GS very thin over some non-stick plastic, cut off a thin square of it after a few minutes and make some small folds in the GS to add definition, the just whack it onto the model’s back and smooth down any thumbprints, should do the trick :).

Look forward to seeing more :cheers

Xander:

Looking great! Finally someone has put the helmet where it belongs: hunched int he shoulders! Well done, these are looking excellent!

Ghrask Dragh:

Finally someone has put the helmet where it belongs: hunched in the shoulders!��Well done, these are looking excellent!
Second that!

Great work here Hammerhand! I think it's a bit too chaos warrior with the horns on but that is personal preference.
The Green Stuff work gets top marks, very well done! I think these show great promise for the rest of your army!
Very cool :cheers

Ingrown:

I love these man, the helmet actually looks like its being worn, not just sat on their shoulders, and the capes look great very jealous :slight_smile: could you or even someone else put up a tutorial on how to do the capes roughly. Good stuff tho man, can’t wait to see a hero from you.

hal:

Great start to your army! Good use of chaos warrior helmets.

Hammerhand:

I love these man, the helmet actually looks like its being worn, not just sat on their shoulders, and the capes look great very jealous :) could you or even someone else put up a tutorial on how to do the capes roughly. Good stuff tho man, can't wait to see a hero from you.

Ingrown
I'll do a photo tutorial on how I've done these ones, although I think they can be done better tbh, it's a technique I picked up from a GW store a few years back when GS was a black art!

Thanks for all the feedback guys, you've really spurred me on to do the next rank!

greenskin:

very nice work! love the warrirors! :cheers

is it ok that I maybe steel your ide’?

cheers :hat off

Hammerhand:

very nice work! love the warrirors! :cheers

is it ok that I maybe steel your ide'?��

cheers :hat off

greenskin
Only if you've signed the petition!!

clam:

Very cool work! A very original idea:hat off. I’m also set on buying a classic 4ed CD-army - I love those Big Hats. But it’s a slow and expensive proces. Truely many great armies here at CDO - so perhaps I would also have a go on converting my own Big Hat army?

Hammerhand:

Very cool work! A very original idea:hat off. I'm also set on buying a classic 4ed CD-army - I love those Big Hats. But it's a slow and expensive proces. Truely many great armies here at CDO - so perhaps I would also have a go on converting my own Big Hat army?

clam
I had a go at big hats and face masks before I decided on helms.��I just preferred how the helm model turned out, my mask attempt just didn't look right, so I cut off it's head and put a helmet there instead and fell in love with it!

Anway, here was my big hat tester model.

It's not finished obviously, it was only a tester and I went with the helmet look instead.��

If I was to finish, I was going to put a thin strip of GS in a band around the bottom of the hat to hide the gaps, and then add some GS decoration to it.��The top of the hat needs filing down flat.��The hat itself is the top half of a long iron golf tee (one of the moulded ones that come in different heights. I think it's the second tallest) and I think it works quite well.

So Clam, you can make big hats from BFSP dwarfs! Good luck!

Baalin:

the bighat is terrific! the detail on the face is beard is top notch

keep up the goodwork:cheers

Dracomancer:

Nice work on the bighat, how did you do the scale mail btw, as that looks really good ^^

Hammerhand:

:cheers thanks for the nice comments, but I still prefer my helms so I probably wont be doing any more big hats.

Draco: Triangular scale, I got the technique from this foum, follow the link it should help you out:

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/5505

I found this quite difficult and I wasn’t entirely happy with the end result so went for square scale instead.

Dracomancer:

Ah, cheers for that, might work a bit better on Brown Stuff though, since its a bit better than GS for that sorta thing… :hat off