[Archive] Starting out, total CD Newbie

Xander:

Add these to the Wiki: [[Chaos Dwarf Warrior Conversions]]. :wink:

Hammerhand:

Add these to the Wiki: [[Chaos Dwarf Warrior Conversions]]. ;)

Xander
Erm, *embarrassed shuffling* I don't know how to. When I click the link, it says I need to log on and then wont let me *whimper* I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Xander:

Won’t let you log in? You need to create a Wiki account, it’s not the same as your forum account. :slight_smile:

Hammerhand:

Won't let you log in?��You need to create a Wiki account, it's not the same as your forum account. :)

Xander
OK, done it now, sorry about the weak blurb!

Hammerhand:

I love these man, the helmet actually looks like its being worn, not just sat on their shoulders, and the capes look great very jealous :) could you or even someone else put up a tutorial on how to do the capes roughly. Good stuff tho man, can't wait to see a hero from you.

Ingrown
OK Ingrown, just for you ;)

***Warning*** this is not a stand alone tutorial.��You will need to have seen Xanders BFSP conversion tutorial to use it. Follow the link:

https://discourse.chaos-dwarfs.com/t/5711

Preparation.

To start with, I completely carve up the dwarf as Xander does in his tutorial, only I completley remove the head and shield, and carve down into the shoulders with my craft knife/needle file to get the helmet to sit in the right place.��Then I glue in the plastic add-ons such as helmet, shield and arm.��The arm requires a long pin armature wrapped in a little greenstuff, you don't need to worry about the detail in this arm as most of it will be covered by the cape.��I then add the scale mail as in xanders tutorial, and add on a greenstuff shield arm. Again, this will mostly be covered by the cape.��Be sure to remove any pouches/equipment from the Dwarf's back.��Your start point should look like this.

Fur Collar
First off, I sculpt on the fur collar.��Make a GS sausage about the size shown in the picture below and place it carefully around the neck area:

Next, using a flat sculpting tool, smooth down the GS and spread over the area of the model you want to cover:

Once you are happy with the coverage (it doesn't have to be 100% smooth as you will be texturing it anyway) Take a sharp sculpting tool and begin engraving small grooves starting from the neck area and working down to the bottom of the collar like this:

Games workshop's website has a tutorial for this technique, just follow the link if you want more detail

http://uk.games-workshop.com/convershunklinic/green-stuff/14/

Cloth Cape
It's a good idea to let the collar cure before you start the main cape.��Make a GS sausage about the size shown in the picture and carefully place it along the bottom edge of the dwarf's armour:

Next, use a flat sculpting tool to spread the GS over the area you want to cover with the cape.��This will probably be the whole of the back area:

As the warriors arm is raised, there will be a bit of cape flaring away from the body.��Use a flat sculpting tool and your thumb to pinch the edge of the GS and pull it gently away from the body as shown in the picture blow:

Once you have done this gently smooth out any finger prints using a flat sculpting tool **this can be fiddly but persevere, it's worth the effort at this stage**.��Your finished flat cape should now look like this:

Modelling the Folds
***You need to let the cape cure fully before starting to model the folds***

As these are core troops, I am only putting 3 basic folds in the cloth.��You can put more in if you wish, simply alter the amount of GS to alter the depth of the folds.��For now, we will just cover basic folds.

Make 3 GS sausages about the size shown in the picture below.��Place one carefully where you wish the centre fold to be:

Once you are happy with it's position, place the other 2 sausages either side where you think the folds would look best:

Once you are happy with their position, use a flat sculpting tool to work the sausages into the cape, creating a triangular 'tent' shape.��I find it works better to have the outer folds leaning towards the centre and the centre fold shaped evenly as shown in the pictures below:

And that's it, your finished basic Chaos Warrior style cape.��Go on then, you can see him from the front too!

Notice where the cape sticks out slightly under the arm.��The beard is done exactly as in xanders tutorial.��I have tried both scultping the beard before and after the cape, I think it's slightly better to do it after but it doesn't make much difference TBH.

I hope this is good enough for you Ingrown!

That comincidentally is the last model of my second rank of warriors.��Unfortunately, I move house next week so my progress will hat for a little while.��Don't worry, as soon as I am settled in my new platz, I will get out my GS and tools and set about finishing this unit.��I have an idea for my command models so hopefully they will turn out good!

Dracomancer:

Nice! Might try this when I make some immortals, good job! :slight_smile:

Kobarf:

Great tutorial, I’m sure it will help a lot of people on this forum!

They look great but I have one little nitpick if you don’t mind. I never really liked those chaos helmets on dwarfs but I feel that if you would cut off the lower half or place them a bit lower rather than just on top of the body it would look even better. Just my opinion though keep this up! :cheers

Kobarf

grunts:

amazing models! wish i had that much skill with green stuff

Ingrown:

OK Ingrown, just for you Wink

Hammerhand
Yay :cheers, i still haven't bought any greenstuff (its bin two weeks!!) the cape'y chaos warriors are possibly my favorite plastic kit gw have out at the moment, they rank and file perfectly and just look so immovable and brutish (specially when u hack the horns off :D) it manages to look even better with dwarves as everything does. As a suggestion (ignore it if you wish) you could wrap you champion in the cape like kazahd doomlord from the old marauder CD's with fur around the top, possibly an arm pointing forwards moving the cape to show a hint of armor, its up to you. thanks again mate

Hammerhand:

I have one little nitpick if you don't mind. I never really liked those chaos helmets on dwarfs but I feel that if you would cut off the lower half or place them a bit lower rather than just on top of the body it would look even better

Kobarf
Not at all, I don't mind any criticism. But kind sir, please allow me to rethort!!!

If you look at the first picture in the tutorial, you will see that I cut quite far down into the dwarfs body so the helmet sits in the right place.��I also leave the shoulder guards in as a guide to help me when I am sculpting the arms/shoulders.��The fur part of the cape helps to build up the shoulders so it fits and looks just right.��Other people have commented that this is the case:
Looking great!��Finally someone has put the helmet where it belongs: hunched int he shoulders!��Well done, these are looking excellent!

xander
Finally someone has put the helmet where it belongs: hunched in the shoulders!��Well done, these are looking excellent!
Second that!

Ghrask Dragh
And finally, here is a comparison with my CD and a BFSP Dwarf warrior.��Note where the eye slits are in comparrison to the dwarfs eyes. Almost perfect, if anything, a little too low!

Defence rests!

Kobarf:

Well I may have phrased myself a bit wrong and harsh :s After a second look I too see the helmets are in the right place, I think I’m having a problem with the helmets themselves, they seem too long and small, not fit for a dwarf head…

Therefore the suggestion of cutting off a piece to accomodate them better to the squated dwarf head, or maybe even broaden them up a bit with GS. If you would continue your work how you’re doing it now it would still be awesome don’t get me wrong. But I do think that they would look even better and more fitting with adjusted helmets, you have the skills to pull it off after all!

Can’t wait to see these painted up. :cheers

Kobarf

Lord Darkash:

Looking good there, those helmets actually work the way you have done them! Regarding the capes, if the problem is smoothness then painting a layer of PVA glue might help, its some thing i used in the past when i just couldnt get rid of the fingerprints! only enough to fill out any imperfections though! don’t go mad! Again, they are looking great. :slight_smile:

Hammerhand:

Regarding the capes, if the problem is smoothness then painting a layer of PVA glue might help, its some thing i used in the past when i just couldnt get rid of the fingerprints! only enough to fill out any imperfections though! don't go mad!

Lord Darkash
Thanks Lord D, I will do that! I've never beent told about that before, Top Tip!

duktu:

Man, you’re a genius! Your sculpt-fu is simply awesome! Great job, to say the least.

Were does the weapon come from? Is it from the chaos marauders box?

Hammerhand:

Man, you're a genius! Your sculpt-fu is simply awesome! Great job, to say the least.
Were does the weapon come from? Is it from the chaos marauders box?

duktu
Thanx! All heads and weapons are from the Chaos Warrior box, Shields are from the marauder box. (or ordered direct!!)

Xander:

This topic ought to be in the conversion section … It would be more archivable. Blogs should be for the collected army as a whole, kinda… Having a topic for the conversion helps the archiving process too, and will make it easier for others to find your conversions.

Or you could keep adding to this blog and make a separate thread in the conversion section for each conversion you do. :slight_smile:

Traitor King:

Whoa, nice tutorial, I am Soo going to try this on my champion…

If it works out as yours, i will use this technique when i make immortals.

Also, Nice tip Lord D.

Hammerhand:

This topic ought to be in the conversion section ...��It would be more archivable.��Blogs should be for the collected army as a whole, kinda...��Having a topic for the conversion helps the archiving process too, and will make it easier for others to find your conversions.��

Or you could keep adding to this blog and make a separate thread in the conversion section for each conversion you do. :)

Xander
Will do, I'll add the conversions to the conversion section.

Hammerhand:

OK, not fixed my computer yet but plugged some gubbins into my Camera so I could upload my latest pics.��First off, here is how my warrior unit is developing with the second rank complete:

I think these are really coming on well, I’m happy with the variety of poses(?) making them look really chaotic.

And I know I should concentrate on finishing the unit but I couldn’t help it, I had a go at doing a unit champion converted from the BFSP thane.��He looks pretty good, I might consider using him as a hero instead.��What do you think, Hero or Champion?

His arm isn’t fixed yet (easier to paint) and I’m sorely tempted to add a scale mail sleeve, I’m not sure.��Again, any suggestions would be welcome!

I won’t be adding more stuff for a while as I am moving house so wont have time to sculpt anything until I’ve settled in. I will still be checking out the forum though and keeping an eye on this thread.

I will post my HG hero after the Golden Hat has been published, it’s about 80% complete. Just some layering and the base to finish.

Ghrask Dragh:

:hat off Great stuff HH!

That champion looks particulary good, I would definetly go for the scale mail sleeve!