[Archive] Sticklander's Blooded Horde UPDATE: Golden Hat XXI 8th Oct

Sticklander:

Here’s some pictures I took in the months leading up to starting this blog/post.

Bull Centaurs (With Sorcerer Chariot)

Originally I thought to have the chariot as an individual model, but as you can see, I later decided to have it as part of the overall unit.

Orc Boar Boyz (Without standard bearer)

The Hammerers

My attempt at carving in the initials, ‘B.B.’ into the standard bearer’s hammer.

Sticklander:

Please note: The majority of this force has not yet been painted by myself, as most of the force has come from ebay (as many of you probably assumed). But I shall definitely repaint them myself. I would feel too guilty fielding an army which was not in my own colours, or claiming ownership of a force painted by someone else. Thanks!

Sticklander:

Here’s some pictures of individual models from my “Greybeards” unit.

I decided I wanted to do something unique with the metal Big Hat axemen, so inspired by the Dwarf Longbeards (Thrice cursed by their name), I thought of the Greybeards.

In these pictures I’m trying to work with beard colouring, and whether or not to have faded blood stains in their beards.

Soulassassin:

Thats quite a collection you have got there:cheers

The Prophet on a chariot looks cool, maybe you could fit him on a Monstrous Cavalry base and use him as a Tauruk?

Like the idea with the grey beards, esp. the metal models look really old to begin with!

Sticklander:

Thats quite a collection you have got there:cheers

The Prophet on a chariot looks cool, maybe you could fit him on a Monstrous Cavalry base and use him as a Tauruk?

Like the idea with the grey beards, esp. the metal models look really old to begin with!

Soulassassin
Thank you! :hat off
Much time and money has been poured into it, but I'm going to need a lot more time to finish the force now!

I could, but I was thinking of using the Bloodbowl Bull Centaur as the Tauruk, but I'll keep that idea in mind! I did also want to get the Forge World Bull Centaurs, and I know their releasing a Tauruk miniature.. At some point.

Yeah, they go together quite well, and it gives the metal models more of a unique feel, than the regular plastic units I have!

BABIS:

very nice hammerers ^^

Sticklander:

very nice hammerers ^^

BABIS
Many thanks! :hat off
To make them stand out from the other plastic units, I'm planning on sculpting them masks, so they appear as a more professional elite unit.
Think of the Immortals in the film 300, but without all the crazy over-the-top racism! ;) haha
During the study period leading up to my A2 exams, I got somewhat distracted..

Note: I am much more ambitious than my modelling skills can allow!

Worked with modelling/sculpting green stuff properly for the first time yesterday evening by shaping the Black Orcs beards, as I wanted to give them more of a Chaos Dwarf feel than other Orcs.
I used the tutorial from bas_2312 (which can be found here)

And here's two of Black Orcs with beards. Pleased with how they look for my first try! :)

Sticklander:

Aaaand here is the missing Orc Boar Boy standard bearer

I used him to practise the colouring I wanted for the Orcs and Boars, but I’ll probably mix it up.
The standard is freehand, and scruffy at that, but they are Orcs so crude banners are good! :smiley:

Sticklander:

been busy spending the afternoon playing with green stuff some more. Getting used to it! :smiley:

Mostly working on The Hammerers. Been doing the basic painting for one, and sculpting the helmet for another, just to get an idea of how I should do it. The white parts of the armour are where bones were used to decorate the armour. But not just any old bones, but those of fellow Dawi Zharr. It’s a long story (one I shall write up one day) but the Blooded Horde are a force of CD’s who rebelled against the major forces at Zharr Naggrund. Since then they’ve been a wondering force. Enslaving and raiding as they go, under the command of the original Bloodbeard.

Here’s the prototype helmet, with the CD Hammer Lord, whose helmet I’m not as pleased with, so I’ll probably work on it again. Not bad for a first effort, but I could definitely improve on making the overall helmet look lees “chubby”.

Sticklander:

Finished my first CD figure since 2010! And I’ve come to the conclusion I take too long to paint. Hopefully with time and more practise, my speed (and quality) will increase.

I apologise for the low quality photos, I could have done with taking a picture in the daylight, but I thought I needed to update this blog before it became less of a habit.

Feedback is welcome as always! :smiley:

Other than that, I’ve been painting faces. All the pale ones were me hurriedly trying to sort out a paint scheme, but then realising I had no idea how to work with a pale face other than the basecoat.

Abecedar:

I know what you mean about already painted mini’s, you get a real twinge because they are just not done the way you wanted.

Anyway you’ve got quite a horde growing there. Great to see.

Fuggit Khan:

Anyway you've got quite a horde growing there. Great to see.

Abecedar
Yep, that is indeed quite a horde you have there...always good to see more Big Hats :hat off

Sticklander:

I know what you mean about already painted mini's, you get a real twinge because they are just not done the way you wanted.

Abecedar
Exactly! It pushes me towards getting them done, so I can feel a lot more proud of the horde upon my table! :)
Anyway you've got quite a horde growing there. Great to see.

Abecedar
Yep, that is indeed quite a horde you have there...always good to see more Big Hats :hat off

Fuggit Khan
They'll look even better when they're all finished, and ranked hat-to-hat! But that's a long way in the future

Here's some of the faces I've been working on. From left to right: Darker skin for the older Greybeards, paler skin for the Bloodbeards, and a more rosy face for some of the other Bloodbeards!

Sticklander:

After being caught up in the various shenanigans summer brings, I found myself needing to paint some more Chaos Dwarfs, do I decided today I would concentrate of painting the beards on my Bloodbeard regiment.

Overall, I like how they look, but the miniatures that had been painted before don’t look at impressive as the freshly painted ones.

Here’s a picture of one of my favourite ones!

The combination of the pale skin, flushed lips, and blooded beard appeals to me.

But something tells me once I’ve completed each one, an intense clean up session will be needed for stray bits of paint on the bearded chaps…

Bloodbeard:

Cool work “dwarfing up” the orcs. It’s pretty tough making old school and new generation minis look good together.

The prophet in chariot must be powerful. If I was a bullcentaur and somebody put a chariot on me - I would eat him.

Sticklander:

Cool work "dwarfing up" the orcs. It's pretty tough making old school and new generation minis look good together.

The prophet in chariot must be powerful. If I was a bullcentaur and somebody put a chariot on me - I would eat him.

Bloodbeard
Cheers! :cheers Yeah, I agree. Once I've improved on my sculpting skills, I was thinking of giving them big hats, or just more detailed beards.

I might have to make a special rule for when a Bull Centaur gets so aggressive he just bucks off the chariot and tramples the sorcerer... But then again, who would allow that to happen top his own sorcerer?

Soulassassin:

That`s quite a horde!

Just a quick note on the green stuff helmets: I like the idea of making more armored big hats/helmets. However the green stuff ends up looking a bit squished and too rounded edges. I think this is really tricky myself, but find that if you make a basic shape, place it on the model and then wait for an hour or two before sculpting or molding it gets easier. If you have a sculpting tool you can now press the green stuff flat without distorting the shape to much.

Great to see so many posts and pictures from you, keep it up :slight_smile:

Sticklander:

That`s quite a horde!

Just a quick note on the green stuff helmets: I like the idea of making more armored big hats/helmets. However the green stuff ends up looking a bit squished and too rounded edges. I think this is really tricky myself, but find that if you make a basic shape, place it on the model and then wait for an hour or two before sculpting or molding it gets easier. If you have a sculpting tool you can now press the green stuff flat without distorting the shape to much.

Great to see so many posts and pictures from you, keep it up :)

Soulassassin
Thanks for the input! :hat off
I agree, though that first one was my first experiment in sculpting. I've got some proper tools and played around with green stuff more, so hopefully my next try will look a lot better! :D

Soulassassin:

If that was your first attempt at sculpting in GS then bravo :cheers

I am just getting into it myself, but my first attempts is hidden in a drawer somewhere, waiting for me to start a Nurgle themed army :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Sticklander:

If that was your first attempt at sculpting in GS then bravo :cheers

I am just getting into it myself, but my first attempts is hidden in a drawer somewhere, waiting for me to start a Nurgle themed army ;P

Soulassassin
Thank you again! :)
Ah, I can imagine Nurgle and green stuff go hand-in-hand!

Here is the completed Bloodbeard, and the second of my recent Chaos Dwarfs to be painted! :D I am very pleased with how he looks, but any criticism/input is welcome!

Here's some comparative pictures of my two latest Chaos Dwarfs, alongside two of the CDs I painted in 2010. Interesting development in style, but a definite improvement!