[Archive] Sticklander's Blooded Horde UPDATE: Golden Hat XXI 8th Oct

Fuggit Khan:

Nice to see them getting painted…I like the beard on the guy on the right in the last picture. The color red ‘bleeding’ into the black is a nice touch and sits well for your “Blooded Horde” theme

Bloodbeard:

I’m gonna steal that red beard look for my lord Bloodbeard. I’ve been thinking about how to make it work, and that there is pretty cool.

Sticklander:

I'm gonna steal that red beard look for my lord Bloodbeard. I've been thinking about how to make it work, and that there is pretty cool.

Bloodbeard
Glad to be of help! :hat off
Us Bloodbeards have to stick together! ;)

[align=center]Post-Holiday Update - Getting The Gears Going Again [/align]

I returned from holiday in Tuscany at the start of September, and from there grave news and events unfolded within the family, combined with almost full-time shifts at work, left little time for dedicated hobbying, apart from the odd painting/converting.

I have now completed three of the Bloodbeard troops, and I have a feeling if I dedicated a solid hour to the rest, i could have them all done.

As I noticed I was slacking somewhat in the painting department, I decided to focus on another group to get my imagination and inspiration going.

I thought the Black Orcs looked a little silly with the big beards (and such lesser beings wearing such sacred facial hair is an affront to Hashut!), so I shaved them, and decided to get rid of all their helmets, so I could give them regular orc faces, so to show their lack of real hair.
Here's the WIP of the commander:

And from the back:

Also been working on the Chieftain of the Dragon Ogres, and also experimenting with his hat some more..
Here's his latest look:

When trying to figure out how to boost my Hobgobbo ranks, I was struck my inspiration by JMR's blog, and decided to do a Skaven conversion.

With my first attempt, I tried to sculpt the face from scratch, but finding it harder than I preciously thought, used parts of the Skaven face.

So, than I took the easier (and more aesthetically pleasing) route..

I managed to get hold of most of the Skaven forces from Island of Blood off ebay, including the Warlord and Warlock, so they'll be going through a Hobgobblonisation! ;)

And last, but not least, something arrived in the post today from Scibor Miniatures.

(Not Astrogoth..)

Can anyone guess what these are, and what I have planned for them? (Knowing my work speed, you'll have a good few months before I finish the project...)

Fuggit Khan:

And last, but not least, something arrived in the post today from Scibor Miniatures.
Can anyone guess what these are, and what I have planned for them? (Knowing my work speed, you'll have a good few months before I finish the project...)

Sticklander
I'm thinking those are the 'steam' armor dwarfs? (Or whatever they're officially called) I have no idea what you might have in store for them...perhaps green stuff beards and some sort of bodyguard for Astrogoth?

Bloodbeard:

Steampowered one-hand great weapon wielding blackshard armoured shieldbearers!

"Hi. I’m Astrogoth. I’ve got real heavy mechanical legs so walkings no problem. … Yet I am a lord. Carry me minions!"

And since nobody as strong enogh he build the steamblackshardsuits.

Sticklander:

You both hit the nail on the head! :smiley: But I had not thought that they could carry him, but that sounds like something Astrogoth would approve of! :wink: haha

Finally finished the first group of CDs. Now I can unite them with my original bloodbeard unit, who will need painting in their regiments new colours.

But now with the Golden Hat open… There may be even more of a delay…

Sticklander:

Thank you, Herby! I hope to not disappoint! :smiley:

And now that the Golden Hat is out of the way, here is the latest from the Bloodbeards…

Needing a wee bit of a break from painting, I decided to work on some modelling projects i had been planning; hobgoblins, and the steam guard.

Finished a prototype WIP of the Steam Guard. Gave him the Chaos Dwarf rune on his chest, and tried to make his shoulders pads more dawi zharr-y.

Also, hobgoblins! I’ve been looking forward to working on these fellas!

Here are a few WIPs:

The hobgobbo in the centre of the first picture i’m calling, Ozzy :wink:

Here’s my Hobgoblin hero, Fenroblin, mounted and standing!

Detail of the Chaos Dwarf rune on the mounted Fenroblin’s banner!

I was going to remove the chained standard to his back, but it’s a good way to show his allegiance, but remind himself and all that he is merely a pawn to the Bloodbeard’s!

Here he is with a couple of more wolves, waiting to be given a mount!

That’s all for now!

Fuggit Khan:

The green stuff helmet on your steam guard is a very nice touch, as are the green stuff Hobgoblin hats (which keeps the look and feel of the 4th edition Hobbo hats very nicely)…keep them coming :cheers

ClawLeader:

Cool work you’ve done that there. Want to see more of the steam guard.

Bloodbeard:

What kind of goblin heads have you used for the hobgoblins? Is it gretchen? Their expression is really good and looks hobgoblinny - in a way gnoblar/goblins don’t.

The hats work really well with them.

Fenroblin is cool! But a cool kid like that will have to tsate the whip often - or else he’s bound to get the wrong ideas!

Sticklander:

@Fuggit: Thank you! It’s definitely a rough starting place, but it helps form the helm to come! :slight_smile:

I hope you’ll like the progress on my hobgobbos that I’ll upload tomorrow! They’ve had a lot of surgery today…

@Clawleader: Thanks! I’m focussing mostly on Hobgobbos at the mo’, but the Steam Guard are definitely to be visited afterwards!

@Bloodbeard: Aye, their gretchen heads! My little brother bought the Ork Gretchen box, and I was looking for Hobgoblin heads at the time, and thankfully they struck me with inspiration! Don’t worry, I bought my own gretchens, rather than decapitating his :wink:

Yes, Fenroblin does seem like the time, but I can’t imagine he’s that mobile with that big ol’ banner strapped to his back! Excellent target for Dawi-Zharr Blunderbusses! :yar

Tomorrow I shall update on my hobgoblin progress, and upload Golden Hat pictures! :slight_smile:

Sticklander:

Golden Hat XX Entry “Something Wicked This Way Comes…”

What a fantastic competition! I’d like to thank everyone who voted for my contribution. This has definitely encouraged me to put in a lot more effort next time, and make something spectacular!

Here’s the full size photos I sent in:

A few WIPs…

I’ll upload a few more detailed pictures once I’ve fully repaired my entry from the collapsing lamp accident…

Sticklander:

And now… MORE HOBGOBLINS! :idea

All their hats have been done, and I’m still giving them all nose jobs, but I’ll upload those pictures soon!

A little bit of work on one of my Hobgoblin heroes! Attempting to make him look more Mongolian-esque!

Here’s the commander for my unit, the first one to be given a nose… All thank’s to Fuggit Khans nose tutorial! His head is an Orks head, but it’s actually comes across as more Hobgoblin-y…

And mounted Fenroblin now has a banner instead, so he can proudly display the initials, BB, for bloodbeard, as he’s thrown across the battlefield by his mount!

Dînadan:

Nice conversions - looking forward to seeing them painted up :slight_smile:

Yodrin:

Voted for your GH, looks great!!!

Your Hobbos looks nice as well;), LF to seeing them painted!

Bloodbeard:

It’s a great diorama. Where’s the big monsters head from? Saw it for the first time some weeks ago, thought it was home sculpted. But I seen it on three minis now.

Sticklander:

Thank you, Dinadan and Herby, and special thanks to Yodrin! :smiley: Hobgoblins are all assembled now, sprayed, and ready to paint!

I’m painting them as I type, so expect at least one complete model soon!

It’s a great diorama. Where’s the big monsters head from? Saw it for the first time some weeks ago, thought it was home sculpted. But I seen it on three minis now.

Bloodbeard
Thank you! I bought it from Raging Heroes, where they sell the head on it’s own. Originally it came with the (now) Manticore body, and I think it was called Lammasu, but Games Workshop saw that as copy right infringement, so now it’s a separate head. You can get it here: Shedu/Sphinx Head - Raging Heroes

Karring:

Lovely classic hats!

Fuggit Khan:

Wow…these are hands down some of the nicest Hobgoblins I have seen :o

They have a wonderfully wicked look to them :h

Bloodbeard:

Thank you! I bought it from Raging Heroes, where they sell the head on it's own. Originally it came with the (now) Manticore body, and I think it was called Lammasu, but Games Workshop saw that as copy right infringement, so now it's a separate head. You can get it here: http://www.ragingheroes.com/collections/complete-collection/products/shedu-sphinx-head

Sticklander
Thank you. Good to know, it's a great head.

Your hobgoblin unit is great. I've seen other stormvermin hobgoblins i didn't like - looked too elite i think.

But yours really work. Must be the hats. I love those hats!