[Archive] Sticklander's Blooded Horde UPDATE: Golden Hat XXI 8th Oct

Ben Saunders:

Nice hobgoblins. Do you plan a blue unit and a red unit, or is the aim to have one unit in a variety of colours?

Bloodbeard:

Nive hobgoblins Sticklander and great to see some life in this blog. Great headgear, the green stuff hat is perfect.

What has happened since your last photo updates? Did you bath in toxic spill, get hit by gamma rays, bitten by a geneticly modified animal? Your painting is levels above and beyond what you have done earlier. Much more clean in the colours and sharp on the details? Great job man.

I’m really impressed by how storm vermin is doing for hobgoblins. I’ve got a single one for a size comparison picture with the hobgoblin head project and I really like him. Prize if preventing me from getting 0 of them though. But for footed Khans I’ll take them.

Keep up man!

MadHatter:

The Hobgoblins look great, love the mongol hat there.

The Bloodbeards sound like a unit of danish teachers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: actually I love the bloodbeardedness, would be most Hashut if a bloody beard was the haute couture of Zharr-Naggrund this coming spring!

Scar:

Nice idea! :slight_smile:

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Sticklander:

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :hat off

The Bloodbeards sound like a unit of danish teachers :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: actually I love the bloodbeardedness, would be most Hashut if a bloody beard was the haute couture of Zharr-Naggrund this coming spring!

MadHatter
Well, Scandinavian’s have had the tendency for bloodletting in the past, and I’m sure a little blood got in their beards! :wink:

Oh yes, the elite of Zharr-Naggrund are very fashion conscious! Been too long since they’ve gone to war.
Nice hobgoblins. Do you plan a blue unit and a red unit, or is the aim to have one unit in a variety of colours?

Ben Saunders
One unit in a variety of colours, so to make the unit more unique.
What has happened since your last photo updates? Did you bath in toxic spill, get hit by gamma rays, bitten by a geneticly modified animal? Your painting is levels above and beyond what you have done earlier. Much more clean in the colours and sharp on the details? Great job man.

I’m really impressed by how storm vermin is doing for hobgoblins. I’ve got a single one for a size comparison picture with the hobgoblin head project and I really like him. Prize if preventing me from getting 0 of them though. But for footed Khans I’ll take them.

Keep up man!

Bloodbeard
To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I think I may just have taken more time on them, and most of my recent efforts. I just hope I can keep it up to this level!

I’ve still got loads of gnoblar heads left over, and I’m planning to make a unit of sneaky gitz at some point, but I would like to see some of Admiral’s hobgoblin heads in the flesh!

Yodrin:

Oooo, nice!

This message was automatically appended because it was too short.

Fuggit Khan:

Hobgoblins! Yeah!

I was wondering if you were ever going to paint those guys…I think it was last December (?) or so when you first posted some wip pics of them. Good to see you paint as slowly as me :wink:

They look absolutely wonderful, this old grizzled Khan loves 'em :h

Sticklander:

Hobgoblins! Yeah!
I was wondering if you were ever going to paint those guys...I think it was last December (?) or so when you first posted some wip pics of them. Good to see you paint as slowly as me ;)
They look absolutely wonderful, this old grizzled Khan loves 'em :h

Fuggit Khan
Yes, this has been a slow year for hobby-ing... If there was a golden hat based on goblins again, I'd probably get the whole unit painted in time! Just need the drive to focus and paint them all.
I'm glad to have your approval, Fuggit, many thanks! :hat off

Sticklander:

[align=center]Update: Chains and Flames

Golden Hat XXI Entry
[/align]

For this Golden Hat I knew I wanted to include the Stonehorn model I had bought this summer, and I was going to incorporate ogres into my army at some point, so why not start now!

I wanted to show the ogres as slaves, but perhaps that was not conveyed effectively. If I had more time I would have given them chains, and whip marks, etc. The less conventional slaves of the piece are the Stonehorn, and the Hellcannon itself. The Stonehorn, as shown by it’s bloodied, and scarred body has been mistreated and forced to pull artillery across countless battlefields, until it one day perishes. Until then it marches on.

For the Hellcannon, what I had hoped to convey was the idea that it was made up of parts of some long-dismembered beast, used as a cannon, but piece-by-piece has become more machine than animal, and is dragged across fields, and barren wastes by large, heavy, chains. It’s eyes are meant to convey it’s rage, fear, and pain.

My Chaos Dwarf for the piece is a Hellcannon crewman, given a spear, who I use as a slaver, and task-master, with the title of “Ogre-Lord”.

Here are a few WIP pics:

[align=center]

[/align]

And the pics I used for the entry, in HQ:

tjub:

Wow, that was massive… Somehow I did miss the this entry, its really impressive. I would go for a smaller chain though, it would look less “out of place” IMO.

Bloodbeard:

Just posted some comments on all entries in the winner thread. Gonna repost here:

Insanely wicked model! That must look amazing on a table. I instantly imangine ten of these mammuths pulling all kinds of Dawi Zharr artillery through snowy mountain passes - while legions of armoured dawi zharr march around them. It tells a story. But there’s no focus on the slaves. It’s a monster and a cannon. A single picture of the whole thing would have been nice. and then three close ups of the ogres riding, the ogre walking and the overseer. To show off your skill level of painting. Surely you would have had a vote by me then.

Looking at the pictures now and reading your post I see:

I missed the cool CD beards on the ogres.

I missed the cool stone horn details showing it’s being mistreated.

My points remain the same. And no matter would you did I would never see the stonehorn or hellcannon as slaves. Just a monster and a cannon. To be a slave you need to first be a free and sentient being.

Great models Sticklander. Crazy center piece for your army.

Fuggit Khan:

A very, very nice entry Sticklander…yours was one of my (many) favorites. I honestly think that if the photo’s were more focused on the slave ogres, you would have won outright. I really mean that. It’s a brilliant centerpiece for your army.

It took me awhile to notice the beards on the slave ogres, and I was really hoping that others would see that wonderful little detail when they voted, it really gives them character and ties in with the Dawi Zharr theme so well :cheers

Good job man!

Yodrin:

It got my vote;), awesome work!

Sticklander:

Wow, that was massive... Somehow I did miss the this entry, its really impressive. I would go for a smaller chain though, it would look less "out of place" IMO.

tjub
Thank you, and I recognised that with the chains, but I was running out of options, and so went with it. I might change them in the future.
Just posted some comments on all entries in the winner thread. Gonna repost here:

Insanely wicked model! That must look amazing on a table. I instantly imangine ten of these mammuths pulling all kinds of Dawi Zharr artillery through snowy mountain passes - while legions of armoured dawi zharr march around them. It tells a story. But there's no focus on the slaves. It's a monster and a cannon. A single picture of the whole thing would have been nice. and then three close ups of the ogres riding, the ogre walking and the overseer. To show off your skill level of painting. Surely you would have had a vote by me then.

Looking at the pictures now and reading your post I see:
I missed the cool CD beards on the ogres.
I missed the cool stone horn details showing it's being mistreated.

My points remain the same. And no matter would you did I would never see the stonehorn or hellcannon as slaves. Just a monster and a cannon. To be a slave you need to first be a free and sentient being.

Great models Sticklander. Crazy center piece for your army.

Bloodbeard
Thank you for the thorough notes, Bloodbeard, I do appreciate it!
With regards to lack of focus, unfortunately I took those pictures late at night/ early in the morning, and my sleep deprived brain was thinking, 'GET IT ALL IN, GET IT ALL IN!'.

I see what you mean in referring to what makes a slave, but can a beast not be a slave, forced into servitude? Nor a beast/soul bound to a machine?
A very, very nice entry Sticklander...yours was one of my (many) favorites. I honestly think that if the photo's were more focused on the slave ogres, you would have won outright. I really mean that. It's a brilliant centerpiece for your army.
It took me awhile to notice the beards on the slave ogres, and I was really hoping that others would see that wonderful little detail when they voted, it really gives them character and ties in with the Dawi Zharr theme so well :cheers
Good job man!

Fuggit Khan
Many, many thanks Fuggit. This praise means a lot coming from you!
Yes, I'm starting to see that if I had focussed my camera on the details, I might have had a chance of entering the top three. Ah well, there's always next time! ;)

@Yodrin: Thank you, friend! :cheers

MadHatter:

There was so much detail I missed noticing in this model that I see now in HQ. Wonderful entry Sticklander, well done :cheers

DAGabriel:

Merry stoning!

Nice work up til now, keep them coming! That Mammothis cinematographic.

Sticklander:

Hello! :hat off

Sticklander here, formerly known as “Stormchild”. I started an army blog here back in 2010 (which can be found here), but due to on-coming GCSE’s/general school work, I had to postpone my efforts to an unforeseen date.

That unforeseen date was April this year, essentially three years later, when I got out all my old Warhammer when I moved into a bigger room. Subsequently, I visited ebay again.

Consequently, I have a lot more Chaos Dwarfs.

The “Horde” currently consists of:

Heroes

Chaos Dwarf Lord on Taurus

Chaos Dwarf Sorcerer on Lammasu

CD Lord with axe x3

CD Lord with hammer

CD Sorcerer on Bull Centaur Chariot

Infantry

"The Bloodbeards" CD Axemen x35

CD Hammerers x18

CD Axemen x28

CD Axemen x24

“Greybeard” CD Axemen x22

Orge Mercenaries x8

Black Orcs x10

Savage Orcs x10

Cavalry

Orc Boar Boyz x5

Savage Orc Boar Boyz x5

Bull Centaurs x14 (Including CD Sorcerer Chariot)

Hobgoblin Wolf Riders x7

Artillery

CD Blunderbusses x12

Savage Orc Bowmen x10

Hobgoblin Bolt Thrower

CD Earthshakers x2

CD Death Rockets x4

Monsters

Chaos Giant

Dragon Orges x3

Classic Dragon Orges x4

This force is very much so a WIP, but I hope with my abundance of free time I shall keep you updated, and complete this army… Hopefully within the year. But with so many new units and models being squeezed into the ranks, the task is looking more and more daunting, especially with much simpler tasks such as my Ice Goblins to turn to (a force which I shall create a separate army blog for at some point). However, i look forward to it! :smiley:

’Watch this space!’

[align=center]2017 Image Salvage

[/align]