[Archive] Storm of Chaos

Baggronor:

Some aspects of the lists were incorporated into the new books (WoC, VCs, DoC). A shame the Cult of Pleasure, the best one by miles imo, never made it into the new DE book.

The Slayer army complaint was the Doomie List
Doomseekers were idiotically hard. Armies with no shooting had no way of dealing with them, and even the ones with shooting couldn’t handle more than 5-6 of them. Not to mention the Slayer ‘Skills’. I doubt there was ever much Skill involved in their use :slight_smile:

Archaon’s Horde was the tamest one in the book, which made little sense to me :cheers

Groznit Goregut:

They might actually get a bigger readership for White Dwarf. Has anything beyond the Issue 300 been worth it in the past year or two?

BilboBaggins:

Perhaps it's just me, but I've noticed alot of 'netspeak' type words lately..

cud instead of could, u instead of you, 2 instead of to/too, etc.

For the sake of our non-English speakers, could we keep the netspeak to a minimum and try as best we can to actually pretend we know how to write?

Just a suggestion, not a sermon..

two_heads_talking
If you notice I don't use L33T commonly called Text Messaging Language. I don't even use it for text messaging. I know forum who would really attack you if you don't type out words correctly. They are forgiving if your grammer is off is English is not your first language but teens from the US watch out. Soon they will become so illiterate that they won't be able to get jobs at a fast food joint.
If the lists are in WD, they aren't free, but they were available free of charge when they were on the web.

Border Reiver
Relatively free, it's not the $25 for a new army book.

BilboBaggins:

Some aspects of the lists were incorporated into the new books (WoC, VCs, DoC). A shame the Cult of Pleasure, the best one by miles imo, never made it into the new DE book.
The Slayer army complaint was the Doomie List
Doomseekers were idiotically hard. Armies with no shooting had no way of dealing with them, and even the ones with shooting couldn't handle more than 5-6 of them. Not to mention the Slayer 'Skills'. I doubt there was ever much Skill involved in their use :)

Archaon's Horde was the tamest one in the book, which made little sense to me  :cheers

Baggronor
Some of the lists were nice, Middenheim being one, but all could be abused.

Slayer Skills on the heroes were limited to 1 to Dragon Slayer and 2 for Daemon Slayer. Each had benefits but I usually used only two (Killing Blow and Beast Slayer, kills double for CR). Death Blow was OK, allowing you to kill what killed you but Vamp Slayer and Skaven Slayer were over the top and best used sparingly. I would take Skavenslayer on one against hoard armies and vamp slayer only worked against T5 models so I can't remember when I actually used it.

Archon's Horde was supposed to be used in situations where they outnumbered their opponents 2-1 in points. Otherwise it was a good army.

two_heads_talking:

Or maybe they could re-do all the old lists in White Dwarf?  Maybe it would make the magazine worth taking.  I swear, in the past few years of WD, there has been hardly any issues of their magazine that I've wanted.  It's all articles designed to make you buy more minis.  If there were some interesting game play articles, I would be inclined to actually want the thing.  

They could re-do each list in one issue and make it a really good year.  They could also tackle the whole Regiments of Renown, as well, and update them to the latest edition.  That would be cool.  I'd probably get a subscription if they did something like that.

Groznit Goregut
They could redo them, but they won't. GW has already said they won't do a Regiments of Renown army, so you might just want to put that issue to bed.

The Gw magazine in it's current flavor is just articles geared to make you buy more minis. We have to accept that and move on. As good as your ideas are, you are basically just pissing in the wind. I don't mean that negatively just saying, pushing against a brick wall will just wear you out.. That's all.

Groznit Goregut:

Oh, I know this. I just like bitching :slight_smile:

It’s incredibly slow at work and there is nothing to do. The posts on a few forums I can hit via my corporate firewall are slow in coming.

I’m just lamenting that WD isn’t more than it is now. I would probably get a subscription if it were.

two_heads_talking:

at 9 dollars an issue, I doubt I’d buy it even if it was a better magazine. That’s just too costly for me…

Kera foehunter:

Yea !! i had to give up buying the wd for that reason

snowblizz:

I dunno.

I’ve started buying Wargames Illustraded as well and at 6.90�,� compared to WD at �,�7.5 I find that WD isn’t unreasonably priced.

Would love to see it get better, but considering what other stuff costs nowadays compared to yore it isn’t exactly exorbitantly priced.

Now can the admins fork this into a WD complaint thread so I can REALLY start complaining. I’ve been holding back on account of it being off topic.

BilboBaggins:

White Dwarf could be cheap to buy if they would sell outside ads instead of being one large GW ad.

starscream:

Best campaign for me was Armageddon. It was the first time I can remember the internet being used to collate results, you really felt you were involved - the result was bogus but I can remember myself and my flatmate working hard that summer building 2 imperial forces (Salamanders and Raven Guard).

Also the first time I ever faced a titan in 40k.

Albion was probably the worst for me, the reason being I was working at GW that summer and was just sick to death of Oggum stones and the like after a while.

Kera foehunter:

well if the white dwarf !! would have some cool stuff and keep it down to 6.00

maybe but i neve see anything good any more

Swissdictator:

I like the idea of a campaign on the scale of Storm of Chaos. Granted, the end was a bit of a let down… but the concept was good.

Test out some lists for upcoming books or emergency fixes for some armies. Some more fluff and stories, etc.

I kinda liked the idea of the alternate lists, but as has been said… lets not make it so the figs go obsolete or a ton of new purchases are needed.

If they made a White Dwarf dedicated to something like this I would honestly buy it. It’d be a great way to get WD back to what it was.

I wouldn’t mind some shifting in power (granted, it can’t be MASSIVE otherwise we might lose a faction and that would really be bad from a hobby and marketing perspective)… though it could be used as a great way to introduce an army book at the conclusion… with some thing determined by the outcome…

Just some thoughts.

Kera foehunter:

well all of gw campains are a let down when it comes to the ending time !!

they should let the army list be playable thow

Border Reiver:

My thoughts on the “well, the campaign is over so the lists we published for it are now banned/obsolete, etc.” have always been that the lists should have been balanced enough to allow them to continue after the campaign when they were published, or it is really demonstrating some short-sightedness on the part of the developers (ie Doomseekers - what the hell were we thinking?)

BilboBaggins:

The only problem with doomies are that the players could take way too many (an maybe a little under pointed). I find 1 per unit (including Long Drongs and Hewer) is usually plenty.

snowblizz:

My thoughts on the "well, the campaign is over so the lists we published for it are now banned/obsolete, etc." have always been that the lists should have been balanced enough to allow them to continue after the campaign when they were published, or it is really demonstrating some short-sightedness on the part of the developers (ie Doomseekers - what the hell were we thinking?)

Border Reiver
Dude, they even went so far as to PROMISE the lists would be playable after the campaign. And they were, for what 2 years? I still feel they basically tricked us into buying stuff we couldn't subsequently use.
This was one reason Lustria didn't take off. They were up front with the lists being "optional" only and who'd put effort into something that won't last...

GW have actually been rather lacklustre when it comes to the campaign/supplement books. Basically you barely have time to get into trying the supplement before a new core edition invalidates it completely.

BilboBaggins:

The GW store manager and district manager as well as the GW people at Games Day said the list would remain tournament legal. There were many people who built these armies and now cannot play them in tournaments.

Kera foehunter:

well 65 point a model is kinda high for a single figure each choice you can only field 1 to 3 doomie

dedwrekka:

The GW store manager and district manager as well as the GW people at Games Day said the list would remain tournament legal. There were many people who built these armies and now cannot play them in tournaments.

BilboBaggins
The only reason slayers got that honor was because they had the full statlines printed in the army list, unlike the other armies which only had "refer to X Army Book".