[Archive] Suggestions for Unit Fillers

Nicodemus:

As I’m next to hopeless when it comes to Warhammer Fantasy creativity I’m looking for some suggestions for unit fillers.  My only reason for this right now is that I’ve got enough for 8 groups of 20 Chaos Warriors, each with full command, but only if I use a 4-unit filler in seven of them.  I scanned back through some of the old posts and searched the forum for “unit filler”, and while I re-discovered some great ones like Willmark’s, as well as some that I missed, I’m still searching for some ideas.

While I’m not adverse to having a filler be represented by a number of units carrying something I’m really just after neat ideas, and if they save a few spots for units to go into another group, all the better ;)  Hopefully this thread will spark my own creativity as well as that of others.

Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Carrying a Lord on a palanquin (Willmark, pic here, and from underneath the palanquin here)

Ogre slaves (Malificant, pic here)

Statue (Willmark, pic here; melcher, pic here, and here)

Goblin Slaves (skink, pic here, and here)

Chaos Dwarfs w/ Blunderbusses

Steam Cannon (Bassman’s Silver Hat entry for GHX)

A Tree (some would argue with this, but Ghrask Dragh made it look OK)

Deathrocket & Crew (Bassman, pic here)

Swivengun and Mortar (Ubertechie, pic here; Zanko, pic here)

Gatling gun (Grimstonefire, pic here)

My ideas so far:

Chaos Dwarf Warriors

Statue of a petrified Sorcerer (probably done by someone else already too, maybe?)

Arcane Engineer on a floating mechanical disc (like a Dawi Zharr version of a disc of Tzeentch))

Mini portable forge (for tossing the odd slave or captive into while on-the-go)

Slave cart

Golem

Chaos Dwarfs w/ Blunderbusses

Multi-barrel Cannon machine, driven by Arcane Engineer (using my BFSP Slayer conversion)

See… told you I was terrible at this :o

Seeing as I have 9 Deathrockets and crew it’s kind of obvious I should do at least one of them up as a filler for a Blunderbuss unit :wink:

~N

Gar Shadowfame:

thx for getting it all in 1 place, it is actually usefull, although my gaming circles qualify fillers as proxy, so one gets less points on local class tournaments.

Bassman:

thx for getting it all in 1 place, it is actually usefull, although my gaming circles qualify fillers as proxy, so one gets less points on local class tournaments.

Gar Shadowfame
Shame on them! Unit fillers are one of the funniest part of the hobby and turn a plain boring army into a great one!
They help a lot to give a theme to your army, for example I'd like to give a steam punk theme to my army so more evil machineries will take place into my Bluebeards clan.
You can go slave heavy with ogres, trolls, big creatures as slave-unit fillers.....You can go magic heavy with stone sorcerers... palanquins... whatever you think it's appropriate for a sorcerer....
;)

Thanx for quoting my work... I love unit fillers, check my blog and you'll find a couple of my hobgoblin units fillers. You can also find a rocket used as a blunderbusses filler.

Some people "Chaos Dwarfished" ogres as a beaautiful centre piece of warriors but why not a mechanical/stone golem? It could be uber cool....

A dwarf flame cannon could be funny into a blunderbusses unit... or some crazy Skaven warmachine.... it's plenty of ideas out of here :)

Gar Shadowfame:

indeed fillers look great, but they are comming under proxy definition

Willmark:

Funny part about my unit filler is that I still have 4 chaos dwarfs on the 40mm base, so go figure!

cornixt:

It’s hardly a proxy. Even the rulebook says that as long as most of the unit is armed as it should then it is okay to have variety, and swapping out 4 models is pretty much the same thing. It’s not exactly confusing if there isn;t anything that you can think it is.

Warhammerman:

Here’s an idea for a unit filler. A dwarf captive getting ready to get executed.

Willmark:

Here's an idea for a unit filler.  A dwarf captive getting ready to get executed.

Warhammerman
Excellent idea, get working on it.

Warhammerman:

Here's an idea for a unit filler.  A dwarf captive getting ready to get executed.

Warhammerman

Willmark
Conveniently I even have the dwarf tied up in the BFSP box-set. Time to make a switch to sides I suppose. :cheers

Nicodemus:

Warhammerman
Great minds... I started using him last night actually! I have some fine gauge chain and wrapped it around him. Couldn't decide if I wanted him as part of a unit filler or chained to the pole for a standard bearer.

~N

Warhammerman:

Warhammerman
Great minds...  I started using him last night actually! I have some fine gauge chain and wrapped it around him.  Couldn't decide if I wanted him as part of a unit filler or chained to the pole for a standard bearer.

~N

NIcodemus

That is awesome. I might have to begin work on my chaos dwarf army tonight. (Yes, shamefully I do not play the Dawi Zharr, just the Dawi). Since money isn't plentiful for plastic soldiers it looks like I'll be using a lot of unit fillers. :cheers

Willmark:

Warhammerman

Willmark
  Conveniently I even have the dwarf tied up in the BFSP box-set.  Time to make a switch to sides I suppose.  :cheers

Warhammerman
Of course someone already thought of this... ;)

Warhammerman:

That is awesome. I was thinking of having the slayer in the middle of the unit with a chaos dwarf holding a pistol to his head. And perhaps a bloody cauldron in front of him for his corpse.

Nicodemus:

Warhammerman

Willmark
  Conveniently I even have the dwarf tied up in the BFSP box-set.  Time to make a switch to sides I suppose.  :cheers

Warhammerman
Of course someone already thought of this... ;)

Willmark
Thanks for the pic, I was searching for that one specifically a few minutes ago so that I could update the 1st post in the thread.

Kera foehunter:

lol like a slayer would let himself get captured !!

He want to die !! they kill deamon dragon and giants

Nicodemus:

He want to die !!   they kill deamon dragon and giants

Kera foehunter
There-in lies the torture :D We'll never give him the satisfaction of death!!

Warhammerman:

Or we’ll just execute him so he can wonder aimlessly around the Old World in spirit form. Never able to enter the halls of Grungni. The only way a dwarf enters the Halls of the Ancestor is if they die an honorable death and being shot in the head while your tied up isn’t exactly honorable.

nitroglysarine:

i like the idea of a mechanized walking platform for a ‘disk’

I’m working on one at the min, i’ll pop some pictures on my conversions thread at some point.

when i’ve got more to show.

Kera foehunter:

He want to die !!   they kill deamon dragon and giants

Kera foehunter
There-in lies the torture :D  We'll never give him the satisfaction of death!!

NIcodemus
there lie the pleaser the pain the grudge and the suffering and the joy
and when he excaped the screaming of his enemy with the slayer holding his heart that beat for the last time!
you can't beat a mad man or mad woman they just bying there time
waiting for you big mistake !!
* Kera smiles evil like *
but it a cool idea

Nicodemus:

First attempt at an Eruption Gun (which is also acting as a unit filler right now).

It still needs more, but I’m not sure what that might be.  Any suggestions??  I’m thinking some horns or spikes along the body, as it’s looking rather bare at the moment. I have two extra flamer arms that could go on the body.